Puerto Plata airport.

C

Canadian Bob

Need information regarding possible baggage "scams" at P.Plata airport (see recent Las Americas postings). Thanks! Canadian Bob.

C

Carol

Hi Bob

I go through twice a year usually. Last time was in June and have never had any problems.

M

massei

Hi Bob
I ususally go there every three months and don't have a problem but one time when i moved there for a few months, my friend and i couldn't bring everything on the plane with us so we sent it with american airlines, when we went to pick it up we did alot of running around, it is good to have someone you trust with you who speaks spanish, we finally got our stuff and because it has to clear their customs, they search for things to make sure there is nothing illegal, well we did alot of tipping and when we got our stuff to the appartment a few items were missing, in all of the confusion they may have been left behind/possibly stolen but i don't like to accuse that, but luckily for us we packed those bags with less valuables. that's the best way, the items missing were toothpaste, brushes, deoderant,things like that. other than that i have had no other problems when i have my regular luggage with me. hope that was some help, massei

M

massei

oh by the way i am canadian, and we had to send ours parcels with american airlines because that was the only one we could send them with, that was last year so maybe things have changed. massei

J

jim

according to my wife who just got back,extortion is alive and well a pop airport...jim

C

Canadian Bob

Thanks to all for the info! Jim, did the Customs hold your Wife's luggage hostage, as is happening at Las Americas? Canadian Bob.

M

Marc

I hate hearing stories like yours, that's really shitty. Thankfully you never "lost" anything of value.

One of our friends here has a great strategy, everytime someone asks him a question at the airport here he just keeps saying "Playo Dorado" and smiles/nods. It annoys the hell out of them and they typically move on to someone else that "understands" that they want a bribe.

hehe
marc

R

Ronald Heyne

"Playo Dorado"

Good advice, I?ll try that one the next time. So far I used "LTU", which is also a good one. (Never say "American Airlines"!!!)

CB:

make sure you have all valuable items with you or in a locked suitcase, when arriving and especially when departing. I had some items stolen from my baggage during different trips.

Bye

Ronald

J

jim

on the way in she had to pay 20.00 US so she could have her bags,on the way out they stole quite a few things...jim

M

Marion Harshman

Corruption live and well. Shipped some household contents from NY and was charged $20US for some 1.00 candles. ETC>etc. etc.

C

Charly

Have passed through the airport for 15 years and never had a problem.