Child in Front Seat - legal at what age?

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
Question:

My son asks to sit in front. He is close to 11 yr old. From what age it is legal in DR?

(I know there are 12 y/o driving Daihatsu trucks... but seriously please :))

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
But remember, It's just fine to let small children stand up in the bed of a speeding pickup truck!
But only after they are 6 months old!
Before that, they must be held in their mothers arms!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
And people say that Dominicans don't love their children!!!!!

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
I see babies balancing on the from of motos with the rest of the family seated behind so I would say legally speaking you are safe to whatever you wish. Remember though if 'god for bid" something bad happens the legal defense is "no mi culpa"

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
I see babies balancing on the from of motos with the rest of the family seated behind

that's another thing. according to the law a child under 8 is not considered to be a passenger. 2 kids count as one passenger, in fact. i am not even making it up, ley de transito, capitulo X, articulo 105 b.

Black Dog

Bronze
May 29, 2009
I think you should ignore the legal age, if you are not comfortable with your son sitting in the front seat, don't let him sit in it!

rogerjac

Bronze
Feb 9, 2012
and don't forget to buckle up for the driver. You have to be fit to run after the accident. The kids are dead from the rolling around but you are safe.

Black Dog

Bronze
May 29, 2009
What amazes me is that people come here from various countries, I'm from the UK, where there are laws about seat belts, children in the front seat/child seats, drinking and driving, riding in the back of pick up trucks, wearing crash helmets etc. etc In the main we all understand that these laws were put in place because statistics show that they can save your life or, more importantly, the life of your family travelling with you. And yet people come here and suddenly ignore all these things, it's like they check their brains in at the airport and pick them back up on the way out. Now don't get me wrong, I have been guilty of some of these things myself but I still can't quite understand it!

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
"...even if taller than the required 150 cm but weighs less than 50 pounds, sitting in the passenger seat if the airbag deploys you risk severe head injuries because the air bag is designed to absorb the kinetic energy of a much heavier people...a much larger energy on impact into the airbag. A child with 40 kilos crashes into the front passenger airbag as against a wall. In this case would be a deactivated airbag safer... or just the back seat ."

Translated from German. I think I will take that advice...

drSix

Silver
Oct 13, 2013
I am a paramedic, and have seen my fair share of car accidents. A lot of my training also has to do with accidents and prevention. As stated, the airbag can be dangerous if the child is short or under the weight guidelines. But, to be honest, having him properly seatbelted, as in tight around the hips and the shoulder strap is across the chest and over his shoulder, is more important then where in the car he sits. Just is important is not driving distracted, not speeding, and driving defensively. I don't have airbags in my truck, so I let my 7 year old sit in front.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i do not drive any kids and refuse to do it. a child, not strapped in will shoot out of the car like a little cannon ball made of jiggly wobbly fleshy bits that will splash around better than a watermelon hit with an ax. not interested in having that happen to any child i know.

drSix

Silver
Oct 13, 2013
i do not drive any kids and refuse to do it. a child, not strapped in will shoot out of the car like a little cannon ball made of jiggly wobbly fleshy bits that will splash around better than a watermelon hit with an ax. not interested in having that happen to any child i know.

I'm not quite sure how to interpret your comment. You never drive any kids... Ever? You must not have kids, or transport them via donkey...

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i have no kids, is that so strange? and when i occasionally suffer riding in a car with kids of someone i know i never drive myself. as a driver i take responsibility for my passengers. this is why i do not drink and drive. and this is why i do not haul any kids around.

PaGuyinDr

Sep 2, 2013
I come from a large family, and one of my favorite memories ( several times ) is my mom coming home from the hospital with a new baby, sitting on her lap in the front seat. No seat belt on..... In an old Pontiac with a nice sharp steal dash board, that had all kinds of pointy knobs and dials on it. Thinking back now, I believe the Marquis de Sade was a design consultant for American car companies in the 60's.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
that's another thing. according to the law a child under 8 is not considered to be a passenger. 2 kids count as one passenger, in fact. i am not even making it up, ley de transito, capitulo X, articulo 105 b.

you are pulling our legs. if not you, then someone else. nothing can be that ridiculous....

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"Black Dog", we are not "Ignoring" anything.
You "Pays Your Nickel, and you takes your chance"!!!!
What's the alternative?
Spend two weeks, or forever, in the airport where you land????
Once you enter that first vehicle at the airport, that's IT!!!
Dominicas don't have any knowledge of "Physics", like, "A Child In Motion, tends to "Stay In Motion"!!!!
I could care less about an adult dying in a car accident because of their own "Stupidity"!
But the seldom kill themselves, "Drunks" are relaxed at impact"!
But the innocent, women, and ESPECIALLY children, they deserve more!
Having 4 kids here, i worry every time the are in ANY vehicle here.
My Van NEVER MOVED unless & until the kids "Buckled UP"!....NEVER!!!!!
My Dominican wife could care less????
"WTF"???
She says the kids don't need "Seat Belts", BECAUSE, now listen to the "Dominican "ILL Logic" Here!!!!
They are in the "Back Seat"!!!
I gave my entire Dominican family here an "Ultimatum" when we first had kids.
"NEVER, EVEN, put one of my kids on a "Moto", OR, the back of a pickup truck"!!!!
If you ever do,
"I'll Hunt You Down & KILL YOU"!!!!
A few years later, the family comes home from a picnic.
My daughter, along with about 10 other adults & children are all standing in the bed of the truck!!!!
Later, I pull my wife aside, and ask her, "WTF" are you thinking????
"Dominican ill logic", "There were "Adultos" there to protect "Ninos"!!!!!
My reasonable intelligent Dominican "MIL", who would give her own life for her grand kids,comes home on the back of a "Motor" with my two girls, "wedged" between her and the driver!!!!!
Yet AGAIN,
"WTF"???????
And if you think THOSE examples are BAD, just watch how Dominicans "Watch" their kids at the beach, or in a pool!!!!!
Dumb Bastards"!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC