Do you have an iPhone Prepago?

rms171

Jun 28, 2013
I am coming in two weeks with an unlocked iPhone 4S and really would like to know what the daily or monthly cost is to use it for phone, text and data? I have a SIM card already. Lots of info on the Claro site about plans for postpago consumers but light on info for the rest of us.

Yes I can call Claro but even the English speaking operators are hard to understand.

Thanks,

RMS

cjewell

Bronze
Oct 11, 2004
I have the same questions. Here I pay for voice and data but I use I-Message and Facetime here but it doesn't seem to use up my data. I have the same IPhone as you and posted the same question lol. Hopefully someone here knows :S

MiamiDRGuy

Bronze
May 19, 2013
Just do me a favor, dont go with Claro, but go with Orange or Tricom, they are better and cheaper becuase Claro will ask you too many questions and will require you to pay more to start up.

drSix

Silver
Oct 13, 2013
Claro micro sim RD$200, enough minutes to last a couple weeks RD$800. You wont have data, you will have texts and voice. You will have to find WiFi to sign into your iTunes account in order to use the phone

hammerdown

Bronze
Apr 29, 2005
Orange data on a pregago is $RD40 per day. My wife uses this when we travel out of our home area.

rms171

Jun 28, 2013
Thanks for these responses but still trying to understand. The cost per day for prepago on an iPhone does or does not include data? An iPhone is pretty useless if it's just a phone and texting instrument.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

hammerdown

Bronze
Apr 29, 2005
The prepago does not include data, you have to activate this feature by paying 40 pesos per day

rms171

Jun 28, 2013
I can do so but my chip is Claro. Their site is horrendous for information.

rms171

Jun 28, 2013
Ok Orange users any idea if I walk in? buy a an Orange chip and they can cut it to fit the iPhone 4S? The standard SIM chip is too large.

Astucia

Papa de Negrita
Oct 19, 2013
Depending where you are, Viva may be an option for you. I have an unlocked Iphone 3GS - and a Viva sim card. No plan - just buy minutes at any Viva kiosk or the top-up machines, for voice. I also have a prepaid data plan with them. It's very cheap - they have daily, weekly and monthly rates - the monthly is so cheap I really don't remember exactly what it is. Something like 700 pesos / month. The only thing is - Viva only offer 3G. And their coverage is not as wide as Claro or Orange. BUT THE GOOD NEWS IS THAT THEIR DATA PLAN IS UNLIMITED - NO LIMITS. PERIOD. I was already using Viva because the area where we live has very bad Claro and Orange reception, and for some reason, VIVA cell reception is fairly good. There are so many WIFI sites around, that I don't find coverage is an issue, as far as Internet access.

cjewell

Bronze
Oct 11, 2004
Why do you not use tghe internet to find what you want? Here is the Orange page with the desired information:-

Internet en tu m?vil - Orange Dominicana ?

I looked at this but I found it confusing -- First is has a price with tax and then another column that says tax?? Does that mean add the 2 together. Also this appears to only offer a plan that gives you 3GB which is not that much. When I saw this page I thought perhaps I was missing something. I am guessing I will use a ton of data because I use Facetime a lot which uses about 3MB per minute.

cjewell

Bronze
Oct 11, 2004
Depending where you are, Viva may be an option for you. I have an unlocked Iphone 3GS - and a Viva sim card. No plan - just buy minutes at any Viva kiosk or the top-up machines, for voice. I also have a prepaid data plan with them. It's very cheap - they have daily, weekly and monthly rates - the monthly is so cheap I really don't remember exactly what it is. Something like 700 pesos / month. The only thing is - Viva only offer 3G. And their coverage is not as wide as Claro or Orange. BUT THE GOOD NEWS IS THAT THEIR DATA PLAN IS UNLIMITED - NO LIMITS. PERIOD. I was already using Viva because the area where we live has very bad Claro and Orange reception, and for some reason, VIVA cell reception is fairly good. There are so many WIFI sites around, that I don't find coverage is an issue, as far as Internet access.

Do you know if there is a Viva in Sosua? This next question will be a stretch but since coverage could be in question, does anyone know if Viva has coverage in Monte Llano?

Astucia

Papa de Negrita
Oct 19, 2013
Do you know if there is a Viva in Sosua? This next question will be a stretch but since coverage could be in question, does anyone know if Viva has coverage in Monte Llano?

In Sosua there is a Viva kiosk in the plaza at the Texaco station, where the Metro bus station is. Claro and Orange have kiosks there also. Don't know about Viva coverage in Montellano.

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
Whatever you choose, Orange, Claro, Viva, the will have the correct size sim for your phone. Don't worry, they are quite common here.
Price is about the same, just pick the one with better signal where you plan to stay.
You put some credit into your phone and then decide if you want to use that credit to make phone calls or send SMS, or to buy data per day. RD$50 per day will give you full internet access. You can use up all of your credit to buy data if you don't wish to make phone calls.

Astucia

Papa de Negrita
Oct 19, 2013
Now that I think about it - I'm not sure about Viva and 3G/4G/EDGE stuff. I think Viva is only EDGE, which someone explained to me is really like 3G and 1/2 ???? Sorry - I'm not that technical. I just know that it works for me. I get good Internet on the phone, and can access corporate email in North America. For about $700 peso a month.

cjewell

Bronze
Oct 11, 2004
Now that I think about it - I'm not sure about Viva and 3G/4G/EDGE stuff. I think Viva is only EDGE, which someone explained to me is really like 3G and 1/2 ???? Sorry - I'm not that technical. I just know that it works for me. I get good Internet on the phone, and can access corporate email in North America. For about $700 peso a month.

I checked the Viva website and they have an unlimited pre-paid data plan for 1400RD per/mo. which seems like a good deal since the other companies plans are like $1000 RD and only give you 3GB-5GB of data.

I am going to check the Viva Kiosk mentioned in Sosua --- Is it inside a store by the Texaco? Isn't there only a pharmacy there?

Astucia

Papa de Negrita
Oct 19, 2013
I checked the Viva website and they have an unlimited pre-paid data plan for 1400RD per/mo. which seems like a good deal since the other companies plans are like $1000 RD and only give you 3GB-5GB of data.

I am going to check the Viva Kiosk mentioned in Sosua --- Is it inside a store by the Texaco? Isn't there only a pharmacy there?

Beside the IceCream place - all 3 companies have kiosks there. But I can tell you - it's nowhere near $1400 RD per month - not sure what you're seeing but I've been with them for 2 months and its about $700 RD.

Astucia

Papa de Negrita
Oct 19, 2013
ok ok - mi esposa says there may be only 2 kiosks there. Whatever.

jinty05

Bronze
Feb 11, 2005
I advised the original OP to make use of the internet... we do not have a lot of IP's here....so it is too difficult to access the required info...merely effort.......sorry but I believe you should TRY to resolve your issues by the most appropriate method ie Google