North Coast Tourism numbers decreasing

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
PUERTO PLATA. ? As the new minister of Tourism , Francisco Javier Garcia Fernandez walks in the election campaign , according to a report released by the Central Bank states that tourist arrivals to Puerto Plata destination does not yet reflect the positive results expected from the sector, despite the efforts of the private sector and the MITUR .
Central Bank figures covering January to September, account for a slight decrease of 678 passengers compared to the same period last year and in effect from January to September this year, Puerto Plata received a total of 289.398 visitors against 290.076 visitors in 2012.
In 2012 the total non-resident visitors by air received was 351.622, while in 2011 the destination received 367.867 , non-residents with a decrease between 2012 and 2011 of 4 percent .
The results of the January-September period this year contrasts with the national results that account for an increase in that period with the past year of 1.87 % in visitor arrivals .
The weighing of the results month by month in 2013 compared to 2012 shows quite similar results for the current year . But the numbers are more dramatic when compared to the year 2008 when the current minister Francisco Javier Garcia was just appointed in Puerto Plata, there were received 540, 553 residents and visitors in the January-September period 445, 986 visitors.
In regards to 2008 in the January-September period received a total of 156 000 048 fewer tourists this year and it could be argued that Garcia Fernandez assumed the duties in August of that year , so the 2008 results are rather his predecessor Felix Jimenez ( Felucho ) , in which case the comparison should be made with regard to 2009.
That year Puerto Plata received a total nonresident 512.782 compared to 351, 622 of 2012 represent a net decrease in foreign visitor arrivals during the year 161.160 .
The analysis regarding the January-September period indicates that there were received 413.932 visitors which compared to 289.398 of this year reflect a decrease of 124, 534 visitors.
Local tourism figures reflect significant decreases in each of the months , both season and off-season , while February used to be between 2008 and 2009 of 69.824 and 67.694 in 2012 it was 47,860 and in 2013 of 47,703 according to Central Bank statistics .
Source: Puerto Plata Digital

May 29, 2006
We need a translator for Google Translate!
I think this is the bottom line for non-resident tourists.

2009~512,782
2011~367,867
2012~351,622

or roughly, a 30% decrease in 3 years...

Wouldn't it be more accurate to simply look at hotel tax revenue for the same time?

Olly

Bronze
Mar 12, 2007
windeguy , Peter
This is perhaps an incomplete picture. No account is taken of those coming into STI - Ciboa- if you add these numbers in then you get almost the same number as last year from January to September. - 2013 - 412,440 : 2012 - 411747.
It is not always clear whether those comimg to STI also come on to POP but most are from USA so it is a reasoanalbe assumption.

What is more interesting is that over the same period last year the number of unassociated male passemgers has dropped by 13% . I use this term as it is not possible to identify what the purpose of the visit is from the statistics other than there are more males than females coming to the north coast.

There is a lot more too but the picture above is incomplete.

Olly and the Team

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
No doubt the decreased numbers of tourists to POP is just one indicator. Talk to the business owners in Cabarete and Sosua for another part of the total picture. Frank12 can provide his "view from the beach". I would bet it is SLOW, VERY SLOW compared to several years ago.

May 29, 2006
I've come in from STI myself. This is only one reason why tax revenue is a better metric. Another is that the number of tourists does not really indicate the number of tourist days. If people who used to come for a week now only come for long weekends, it would have a big impact.

Last edited:

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I've come in from STI myself. This is only one reason why tax revenue is a better metric. Another is that the number of tourists does not really indicate the number of tourist days. If people who used to come for a week now only come for long weekends, it would have a big impact.

another important metric is the spend. correct me if i am wrong, but in order to get the numbers up, the NC hotels have been offering really cut rate bargain packages for the truly broke ass crowds, who spend nothing in the streets. so, even if the numbers remain constant, the revenue is declining.

Seamonkey

Bronze
Oct 6, 2009
Lower the airport tax....when will this sink in???? It's the number one complaint yet it is never addressed.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
This is perhaps an incomplete picture. No account is taken of those coming into STI - Ciboa

actually, some of the NC tourist arrive in SD or even PUJ so the number of the passengers does not really translate to the number of tourists. and some of POP arrivals do not stay on the NC either.
that's just a side note, i do not think that tourism on the NC is doing all that well...

May 29, 2006
They like the shiny AIs, but the AI tourists don't do much for local restaurants or bars, and the profit from the AIs isn't going to go into the local economy.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
They like the shiny AIs, but the AI tourists don't do much for local restaurants or bars, and the profit from the AIs isn't going to go into the local economy.

That's right, but as Hlywud says, many of the AI's are closing. There seems to be a gradual change to longer term, self catering visitors and these do contribute to the local economy. So if this trend can be encouraged, there is some light at the end of the tunnel.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
That's right, but as Hlywud says, many of the AI's are closing. There seems to be a gradual change to longer term, self catering visitors and these do contribute to the local economy. So if this trend can be encouraged, there is some light at the end of the tunnel.

that is not an easy trend to reverse. it is like getting people to stop eating at TGIFridays and Outback, and buying all the cooking utensils, and learning to cook. AI is just too convenient for the mass tourism segment.

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
Yep, tourism is down. Way down. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to see it. Year after year, since 2008, it has steadily gone down. Of course, this weekend was an exception: we had the Jazz Festival, the long Dominican Holiday weekend, so a lot of people came to the North Coast. But that's not enough to sustain everyone and pay the bills...tomorrow things will taper off and return back to slow. Shame. The north coast has so much to offer--gorgeous mountains and wild flowers, beautifully coconut lined coasts, many rivers, beautiful people, and an assortment of outdoor sports--surfing, Kite surfing, mountain biking, motorcycling, biking, etc. I will never understand staying in an A.I resort. But to each is own.

I've only been back two weeks, but already a lot has changed. Restaurants and bars have come and gone. Incredibly, a couple of places are expanding despite the lack of tourism. But most places are suffering. The market is saturated with restaurants and bars, and there is not enough tourists to sustain them all. Of course, starting around December 20th, tourists & people with condos and houses will start flying down here for the holidays, and for two lovely weeks, everyone will fatten up, hope will be restored, people will talk about the good ole days, and many people will think "Finally, things have begun to finally turn around."

Sadly, it's a mirage. You can't sustain a business on only two weeks, two months, or even five months of tourism. You need a lot more then that. Vacation pay needs to be paid, a two month paycheck needs to be paid for the month of December, insurance for employees, utility bills, generator fuel, maintenance, liquidation for excess employees, astronomical electricity bills, televisions & other electrical devices breaking down from salt air/erosion, permits, cable bills, satellite bills, internet costs, gas costs, septic tank removal, theft, maternity leave, yada, yada, yada...the list is endless.

People have no clue how much it costs to run a business. If they did, they would think twice about trying to come here and open yet another restaurant or bar in a crowded sea that is completely saturated to the top with them.

Dominican Republic is an island you come to spend money. It's not a place you come to make money.

Frank

Feb 15, 2005
In a week of vacation driving you can spend hundreds of dollars in gas. Years ago you could go coast to coast and see the island, now however, that is not economically feasible. So if you go to POP, in POP you stay, if you go to Sosua, that's where you stay. Many places are not seeing the flow of tourist $ because of this, gas prices have multiplied. The fact of the matter is that the DR is no longer a cheap vacation of years ago.

May 29, 2006
I don't blame the lack of tourists for businesses failing. It's the wannabe business owners who jack up the price of doing start-ups and rents. Unless you have a free and clear property, you're at the mercy of the landlords, lease or not. Rents do not go down when the industry is in a slump and they are based on what some semi-retired couple will pay based on an optimistic business plan made in high season. You've got properties that have been empty for months and they want $20-$40K to buy the business. What business? I've had people say if you put $50K into a place it would be worth $40K more, so that justifies the price of $40K flip.

B J

Feb 20, 2013
maybe its the corruption and the dodgy tactics used by these peasants at every opportunity to take you and anyone else for a ride. Please no lectures ive seen it time and again. And you can throw the crafty expat foreigners into that as well.

Seamonkey

Bronze
Oct 6, 2009

This is very true. There is a shift happening. I see it here in Sosua where there are many more expats moving here because they cannot afford to live back home. These expats help our economy much more than an AI tourist.

DR2001

Jan 2, 2011
We spend time in Punta Cana and the North Coast and the North Coast is where I choose and love to spend most of my time and dollars...So much more to offer than sitting in the AI's of Punta Cana - which are becoming horribly expensive with expansion. Just hope things get better for the North Coast because in less than 2 years that is where I will be escaping the dreadful winter months or even perhaps all my time since the US is declining fast.

Olly

Bronze
Mar 12, 2007
Seamonkey,
I think you are right about a shift. The Snowbirds will make thier migation shortly , a bit later this year probably more in late November but their winter is already pretty bad.
Looking at the numbers, I think this year will beat last year on the north coast by maybe a few thousand so a small increase.
My numbers show 469,000 last year which is down from the peak in 2006 when 696,000 came!

Olly and the Team

caribeman

Dec 26, 2011
Enjoy meeting new people/cultures
For those in the tourism industry (self included) a small business group needs to gather. If we are waiting for the authorities, government, or hotel association to help promote the NC we will dry up and blow away. More voices together will have an impact on taxes, fares, development monies etc... Right now those number show that a pittance of people come to us vs the south and east. Air cost, promotion, quality, and so... but more money period is put into promoting two or three hotels there than on this entire side of the island.

I recently spent time at specialty shows in the US - 9 out of 10 people said when the word Dom. Rep came out of my mouth, " Oh, we went to PC and had a great time at..." They knew nothing at all about the DR or where anything north of Santiago was...

A perfect storm is working its way up to blowing tourism away on the NC. It does not have to be.