Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Need some advice on how to approach management company

I've no real proof at this point but I think it's safe to assume the guy running the management company that oversees my condo complex is skimming funds. He drives a brand new Toyota Prado and sends his 3 kids to the most expensive bi-lingual school here in town. All the while the property is in desperate need of maintenance and improvements. Our groundskeeper has been instructed to remove light bulbs to save electricity (wtf?). The automatic opener on the front gate has been broken for months. We've had recurring problems with the water pump that has resulted in daily outages of water. It's obvious very little money is being spent on the property.

I've lived here long enough to know to be careful when it comes to stirring up sh1t. Just wanted some advice on how best approach this situation.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Your first assumption may be correct, but do the math. What's he taking in monthly?

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't have all the details yet. I'm just looking to get some insights... maybe hear from others who have been through similar situations. I'd like to compile as much data as possible without stepping on any toes or getting myself in trouble.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

I have many friends who live in apt. complexes here in SD.
    ALL the managers steal maintenance funds.
    It's just a ? of how much!
    Your's appears to be stealing a LOT!
    You don't happen to live on "Los Casicasgos" do you????
    Not a lot you can do, but you can attend ALL the "Condo owners association meetings.
    Take along your "Complaint List".
    Ask to see the "Balance Sheet".
    Tell everyone that they will receive a a monthly statement showing the current state of the buildings finances if/when,you are in charge.
    You will list all repairs made on the building.
    Tell them you want to hear all their complaints, and their suggestions as well!
    If he/she, the condo's legal representative, is not there, demand that they attend all meetings.
    Then, YOU run for Condo Manager!
    Tell the other owners how you would make the changes necessary to improve the building's value with proper upkeep, and money saving policies.
    Talk to all the other owners, I'll bet most feel the same as you do.
    Dominicans would much rather "suffer in silence" than do ANYTHING!
    With the other owners behind you, "Vote the Bastard Off The Island"
    If you are not part of the "Solution", you will just remain,...."Part Of The "Problemo"!!!!!!!
    CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
    Last edited by Criss Colon; 11-04-2013 at 02:31 PM.

5. Likes delite, Mauricio liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

It's not really stealing, it just a large profit.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Default I hate to kick a man when he is down but it is an attempt to be helpful

So, it's a sad state of affairs that what you describe is not unusual. I agree with all the advice in this thread. I further recommend you demand the maintenance account details be made available to all the condo owners (account number, bank, etc.) The management company should be made to produce monthly or quarterly statements that the owners can validate with the bank. The bank management will go along with it. The good news is you are getting practical ideas that can help.

Now for the bad news, my experience is more often than not some owners are up to date on their maintenance fee payments and others are not. I don't think it's unique to the Dominican Republic. How important a problem this is seems to depend on how many owners are of which nationality. I think the subject of what sort of condos are better to buy for which reasons has been covered very well over the years here. I will leave it at that.

Quote Originally Posted by InsanelyOne View Post
    I've no real proof at this point but I think it's safe to assume the guy running the management company that oversees my condo complex is skimming funds. He drives a brand new Toyota Prado and sends his 3 kids to the most expensive bi-lingual school here in town. All the while the property is in desperate need of maintenance and improvements. Our groundskeeper has been instructed to remove light bulbs to save electricity (wtf?). The automatic opener on the front gate has been broken for months. We've had recurring problems with the water pump that has resulted in daily outages of water. It's obvious very little money is being spent on the property.

I've lived here long enough to know to be careful when it comes to stirring up sh1t. Just wanted some advice on how best approach this situation.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Arturo, can you give more details as of how the "Nationality" of the owners comes into play, and is it more, or less, for the "Gringos"???
    In this instance I believe the "Condo Managers" are , "Equal OPORTUNITY" thieves!!!!!
    CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone for your contributions. To be brutally honest, I'm not even sure there IS a condo owner's association, as bizarre as that may sound. Or if there is one, they are probably in cahoots with the management company. I've certainly seen no notifications of any kind regarding an association. (Just to be clear, I don't own this property yet, I'm in a lease to own situation). With all its warts, I still like the condo and the location.

I do know for a fact that there are many owners that are WAY behind in maintenance fees. They have been shutting off water to those that are past due but that hasn't proved very effective. Somehow the water just ends up getting turned back on. There are also quite a few empty properties and I'm sure none of the owner's of those are bothering to pay maintenance dues.

Once we take ownership of the Condo, I plan on getting VERY involved in the association. That is, if there is one... LOL

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't buy a condo in a complex here the administration is such a mess. I'm living in a residencial with only 10 houses where everyone pays on time and if they have to chip in they do without complaining and even then it's already a necessary evil to have to agree with 9 others. I don't even want to think about agreeing with many others where there is a big mess and a stealing administrator.

11. Likes bronzeallspice, Criss Colon liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

I know you said that you like the place and location but if things do not
    improve you might want to save yourself a lot of headaches and frustrations
    and look for another place, if it's possible. But I hope you can find a solution.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast