Need some advice on how to approach management company

InsanelyOne

Bronze
Oct 21, 2008
I've no real proof at this point but I think it's safe to assume the guy running the management company that oversees my condo complex is skimming funds. He drives a brand new Toyota Prado and sends his 3 kids to the most expensive bi-lingual school here in town. All the while the property is in desperate need of maintenance and improvements. Our groundskeeper has been instructed to remove light bulbs to save electricity (wtf?). The automatic opener on the front gate has been broken for months. We've had recurring problems with the water pump that has resulted in daily outages of water. It's obvious very little money is being spent on the property.

I've lived here long enough to know to be careful when it comes to stirring up sh1t. Just wanted some advice on how best approach this situation.

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
Your first assumption may be correct, but do the math. What's he taking in monthly?

InsanelyOne

Bronze
Oct 21, 2008
I don't have all the details yet. I'm just looking to get some insights... maybe hear from others who have been through similar situations. I'd like to compile as much data as possible without stepping on any toes or getting myself in trouble.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I have many friends who live in apt. complexes here in SD.
ALL the managers steal maintenance funds.
It's just a ? of how much!
Your's appears to be stealing a LOT!
You don't happen to live on "Los Casicasgos" do you????
Not a lot you can do, but you can attend ALL the "Condo owners association meetings.
Take along your "Complaint List".
Ask to see the "Balance Sheet".
Tell everyone that they will receive a a monthly statement showing the current state of the buildings finances if/when,you are in charge.
You will list all repairs made on the building.
Tell them you want to hear all their complaints, and their suggestions as well!
If he/she, the condo's legal representative, is not there, demand that they attend all meetings.
Then, YOU run for Condo Manager!
Tell the other owners how you would make the changes necessary to improve the building's value with proper upkeep, and money saving policies.
Talk to all the other owners, I'll bet most feel the same as you do.
Dominicans would much rather "suffer in silence" than do ANYTHING!
With the other owners behind you, "Vote the Bastard Off The Island"
If you are not part of the "Solution", you will just remain,...."Part Of The "Problemo"!!!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Last edited:

arturo

Bronze
Mar 14, 2002
I hate to kick a man when he is down but it is an attempt to be helpful

So, it's a sad state of affairs that what you describe is not unusual. I agree with all the advice in this thread. I further recommend you demand the maintenance account details be made available to all the condo owners (account number, bank, etc.) The management company should be made to produce monthly or quarterly statements that the owners can validate with the bank. The bank management will go along with it. The good news is you are getting practical ideas that can help.

Now for the bad news, my experience is more often than not some owners are up to date on their maintenance fee payments and others are not. I don't think it's unique to the Dominican Republic. How important a problem this is seems to depend on how many owners are of which nationality. I think the subject of what sort of condos are better to buy for which reasons has been covered very well over the years here. I will leave it at that.

I've no real proof at this point but I think it's safe to assume the guy running the management company that oversees my condo complex is skimming funds. He drives a brand new Toyota Prado and sends his 3 kids to the most expensive bi-lingual school here in town. All the while the property is in desperate need of maintenance and improvements. Our groundskeeper has been instructed to remove light bulbs to save electricity (wtf?). The automatic opener on the front gate has been broken for months. We've had recurring problems with the water pump that has resulted in daily outages of water. It's obvious very little money is being spent on the property.

I've lived here long enough to know to be careful when it comes to stirring up sh1t. Just wanted some advice on how best approach this situation.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Arturo, can you give more details as of how the "Nationality" of the owners comes into play, and is it more, or less, for the "Gringos"???
In this instance I believe the "Condo Managers" are , "Equal OPORTUNITY" thieves!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

InsanelyOne

Bronze
Oct 21, 2008
Thanks everyone for your contributions. To be brutally honest, I'm not even sure there IS a condo owner's association, as bizarre as that may sound. Or if there is one, they are probably in cahoots with the management company. I've certainly seen no notifications of any kind regarding an association. (Just to be clear, I don't own this property yet, I'm in a lease to own situation). With all its warts, I still like the condo and the location.

I do know for a fact that there are many owners that are WAY behind in maintenance fees. They have been shutting off water to those that are past due but that hasn't proved very effective. Somehow the water just ends up getting turned back on. There are also quite a few empty properties and I'm sure none of the owner's of those are bothering to pay maintenance dues.

Once we take ownership of the Condo, I plan on getting VERY involved in the association. That is, if there is one... LOL

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
I wouldn't buy a condo in a complex here the administration is such a mess. I'm living in a residencial with only 10 houses where everyone pays on time and if they have to chip in they do without complaining and even then it's already a necessary evil to have to agree with 9 others. I don't even want to think about agreeing with many others where there is a big mess and a stealing administrator.

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
I know you said that you like the place and location but if things do not
improve you might want to save yourself a lot of headaches and frustrations
and look for another place, if it's possible. But I hope you can find a solution.:)

skynet

Bronze
Aug 25, 2013
Its a huge problem here...Owners pay when they want, tenants are late, water gets turned off, then there are theft of electricity issues..Al of this I know very well about being I lived in such an apartment in SD..Now, as CCCC has brought up, its best to have those meetings, post it on the doors day/time so everyone can attend. Either suggest yourself as the new Manager or take a vote, see who else may be interested..I would also suggest to open a bank account so all parties can send their maintenance fee's in easily, no excuses...and use intimation if you can, post on every door to the building all of those who owe this money, total amounts Months behind etc..If its a tenant, then their land lord needs to pay! or oust their tenant etc..and at some point, if this continues (no Bomba) be sure there will be meter taping!! Like I said on a thread of mine, they got me 2 Months in a row for that crap, 10,000 pesos my electric bill came in for when I always paid at the most there 2,000 or so..

If no Condo Committee, then you owners create your own with policies, hang that on all doors as well and deliver along with your maintenance letters each Month so every one gets a copy, put it under their doors, or in the mailbox..Overall, the new Manager so to speak needs to be trusting!! That there was the one who was stealing my electric!! She would hook up the Bomba to my meter, pretend the bill was always the same and pocket the money...How did I catch it? I saw the actual Bomba Bill one day, was only 350 pesos or so from its normal consumption of about 8,000 per Month, we had 12 apartments in all..not all were occupied though, so I have no idea what was the norm, but certainly NOT 350 pesos or whatever it was

Thats all I can think of to help your situation..

Good Luck

Anthony

Thanks everyone for your contributions. To be brutally honest, I'm not even sure there IS a condo owner's association, as bizarre as that may sound. Or if there is one, they are probably in cahoots with the management company. I've certainly seen no notifications of any kind regarding an association. (Just to be clear, I don't own this property yet, I'm in a lease to own situation). With all its warts, I still like the condo and the location.

I do know for a fact that there are many owners that are WAY behind in maintenance fees. They have been shutting off water to those that are past due but that hasn't proved very effective. Somehow the water just ends up getting turned back on. There are also quite a few empty properties and I'm sure none of the owner's of those are bothering to pay maintenance dues.

Once we take ownership of the Condo, I plan on getting VERY involved in the association. That is, if there is one... LOL

robbie

Bronze
Aug 3, 2006
We are just going through this mess. our administrator is being charged. he took all the maintenance money with him.
We are lucky to be sharing our complex with another that has an awesome admin who has taken over the whole show for now.
We all had to pay 2x sept maintenance because he took off with it all, then another 2x to get things fixed up like security, water, garbage. we have a long way to go but finally he's out and we can work towards a better community.

robbie

Bronze
Aug 3, 2006
Its a huge problem here...Owners pay when they want, tenants are late, water gets turned off, then there are theft of electricity issues..Al of this I know very well about being I lived in such an apartment in SD..Now, as CCCC has brought up, its best to have those meetings, post it on the doors day/time so everyone can attend. Either suggest yourself as the new Manager or take a vote, see who else may be interested..I would also suggest to open a bank account so all parties can send their maintenance fee's in easily, no excuses...and use intimation if you can, post on every door to the building all of those who owe this money, total amounts Months behind etc..If its a tenant, then their land lord needs to pay! or oust their tenant etc..and at some point, if this continues (no Bomba) be sure there will be meter taping!! Like I said on a thread of mine, they got me 2 Months in a row for that crap, 10,000 pesos my electric bill came in for when I always paid at the most there 2,000 or so..

If no Condo Committee, then you owners create your own with policies, hang that on all doors as well and deliver along with your maintenance letters each Month so every one gets a copy, put it under their doors, or in the mailbox..Overall, the new Manager so to speak needs to be trusting!! That there was the one who was stealing my electric!! She would hook up the Bomba to my meter, pretend the bill was always the same and pocket the money...How did I catch it? I saw the actual Bomba Bill one day, was only 350 pesos or so from its normal consumption of about 8,000 per Month, we had 12 apartments in all..not all were occupied though, so I have no idea what was the norm, but certainly NOT 350 pesos or whatever it was

Thats all I can think of to help your situation..

Good Luck

Anthony
All so true! People seem to think they dont have to pay thier maintenance fees!!! Wrong, no renting your place, nobody gets by security , no titles until its paid.

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
DGII and taxes

This is to make you aware. Your condo maintenance bill should by law state the RNC number of the management company/association and it should itemize the tax fee you pay. You can go to the office of DGII and find out if the tax fees collected are being paid to them. If not, you have a real case against the guy and the management company. Also, note if the taxes have not been paid and there are no funds left in the association account, you and the members of the condo association may still be liable to pay the unpaid taxes.

It is real important you save all your paid bills.

Regards,.

PJT

Jumbo

Bronze
Jul 8, 2005
This whole thread reminds me of Caribe Campo 8 years ago. Just hope history is not repeating itself.

InsanelyOne

Bronze
Oct 21, 2008
This is to make you aware. Your condo maintenance bill should by law state the RNC number of the management company/association and it should itemize the tax fee you pay. You can go to the office of DGII and find out if the tax fees collected are being paid to them. If not, you have a real case against the guy and the management company. Also, note if the taxes have not been paid and there are no funds left in the association account, you and the members of the condo association may still be liable to pay the unpaid taxes.

It is real important you save all your paid bills.

Regards,.

PJT

Condo maintenance bill? Never seen one. I do however have receipts for my payments.

As I said before, I'm not even aware of the condo association's existence. There are only 24 units in the entire complex and very few owners actually live here... maybe 3 or 4.

Eugeniefs

Jan 24, 2008
We are just going through this mess. our administrator is being charged. he took all the maintenance money with him.
We are lucky to be sharing our complex with another that has an awesome admin who has taken over the whole show for now.
We all had to pay 2x sept maintenance because he took off with it all, then another 2x to get things fixed up like security, water, garbage. we have a long way to go but finally he's out and we can work towards a better community.

Wouldn't be El Dorado by any chance, lol... I have over 10 apartments that I manage over there and yes it is hell when it doesn't work, but oh so glorious when it does... go Turibio go!!!!!!!!!

Eugeniefs

Jan 24, 2008
If you are renting, looking to buy then you must be able to get some information from the owner... if not then their lawyer? All condos in reality should have some form of Association and their accounting should be open, but that doesn't always happen. Then find out who the owners of the condos are and ask them to do something about it.

If you have really set your heart on this condo then you should try and find out all you can before you put your money into it. There must be other owners who are also worried about the lack of upkeep on the property / communal areas. What about other renters - they surely can't be happy with have no light in the communal areas and a lack of water throughout the day, they can with-hold the rent (not a great thing to do, I know but it might make the other owners start doing something about it... just a thought)

I manage properties around the Bavaro area and am also an Administrator in another complex so know what can and does happen, good luck!

arrugala

Bronze
Nov 7, 2010
so many condos are a nightmare financially ......purchasing a house is far better , however the security can be a nightmare especially for older people who become an easy target!

robbie

Bronze
Aug 3, 2006
Wouldn't be El Dorado by any chance, lol... I have over 10 apartments that I manage over there and yes it is hell when it doesn't work, but oh so glorious when it does... go Turibio go!!!!!!!!!

You read my mind!!:rambo: