Residents To Take To Streets For A Cleaner Santiago

kenthedentman

Apr 10, 2012
Like not throwing trash in the streets? I hope they all brought trash bags with them for their march in the street! Or are they wanting government to provide people to clean the trash, that they throw, from the streets?

jbars

Jul 6, 2007
I love the city of Santiago. I hope this isn't a one day event, but a permanent change in behavior. A beautiful city deserves better!!

Gurabo444

Nov 1, 2009
A few decades ago Santiago was probably the cleanest city in the country, nowadays with a population of nearly a million, many of them immigrants from all over the Cibao/DR which for the most part have no sense of attachment to the city. Add to all that, an incompetent administration of the city like the current one, which doesn't pick up the trash on time, and we get a dirty Santiago, that has become no different from the capital when it comes to trash in the streets.

It ****es me off when I see idiots throwing trash in the side walks and streets as if it were a dump, I truly hope things change for the better.

kenthedentman

Apr 10, 2012
I love the DR. Sometimes i wonder why. And sometimes i outright hate it. I believe the key is education. But just teaching people that tossing their trash in the street or sidewalk makes where they live look like caca would be an awesome start. I am doing my part with my dominican family as much as possible. Especially the children.

I hope the movement gains ground, and i hope they take ownership of their actions. Because it is really sad that such a potentially rich and beautiful is country covered in trash.

All of us who live here need to do our little part when we can.

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
dont forget that it took a while for us to be educated in this way as well- we were not born paper picker uppers in one generation-we have to be educated and fined to learn

jinty05

Bronze
Feb 11, 2005
To start an educational program you need to provide the necessary facilities which alas Santiago does not do. There is a severe shortage of public waste bins.

yacht chef

Bronze
Sep 13, 2009
Anouther fine example of Dominacans wanting something but not willing to do anything to get it .
" give me give me " while thy sit on their fat lazy asses and complane about the job that someone els is doing .

jbars

Jul 6, 2007
Anouther fine example of Dominacans wanting something but not willing to do anything to get it .
" give me give me " while thy sit on their fat lazy stars and complane about the job that someone els is doing .

I don't understand your complaint. If the article states there is a civic organization heading up the initiative, then how are they not willing to do anything? And have a "give me, give me" attitude? Makes no sense at all.

Eugeniefs

Jan 24, 2008
I was always taught to throw my rubbish into the bins provided in the streets but then we had a lot of bombing happening in London and so the bins were taken away, which meant that we had to learn to take the garbage with us until we could throw it away... I did, many others didn't.

Yes, education and pride for your city/region/country will also help but it has to be something that everybody wants to do and as for dog owners... sometimes those who know better are the worst offenders - and they are the ones who should be fined a LOT!

I am so glad to see that there is some positive thinking going on and hopefully it will spread, well done Santiago for trying to start something good. Good luck!

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
A few decades ago Santiago was probably the cleanest city in the country, nowadays with a population of nearly a million, many of them immigrants from all over the Cibao/DR which for the most part have no sense of attachment to the city. Add to all that, an incompetent administration of the city like the current one, which doesn't pick up the trash on time, and we get a dirty Santiago, that has become no different from the capital when it comes to trash in the streets.

It ****es me off when I see idiots throwing trash in the side walks and streets as if it were a dump, I truly hope things change for the better.

Yes I can remember those days when we was proud for living in the cleanest city of DR. After the Zonas francas brought the exodo of Dominican immigrants from "La Linea Noroeste" things changed significantly, not to say the thousands of national Haitians who came with developments of all the new constructions...

I was born in Santiago I clearly remember this pride!

JJ

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
Santiago was the Europe of DR, even the people was different than the one who live in town today.

JJ

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Do
Google pics from before the 60s or youtube videos from El Jefe time and tell me what you see.

JJ

even if the google images do come up, what will they tell me? that there was no garbage in the streets? there is none in Canada , either, but Oakville is not Gay Paree...