Paleontology & Caves in Dominican Republic

Eugeniefs

Jan 24, 2008
Thanks for posting this, I love anything to do with geology, palaeontology and diving, so this is a bit of everything for me! Hopefully the experts will continue to have access to these areas and that those who would take advantage of finds like this, can't get to them! What a mountain of knowledge there is in these caves, totally fascinating!

Tom F.

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
There were some Peace Corps volunteers in the late 80's who used to go down into some of these caves near La Romana and El Seibo. Much later I saw the entire mapping system of the underwater caves near Abreu and Cabrera on the internet and it was fascinating. I have also read about caves near Hatillo, Cotui and would like to visit soon but stay above water. Lynn Guitar is an interesting person to meet and I sure do enjoy learning about her work.

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
JUST NOW FOUND? WHAT WONDERFUL THINGS! The whole island was under water for billions of years, just look at your coral walls and floors and you will see past life forms all around you. Nothing new just a new presentation and most likely the underwater vids are not here in the D.R. but a bunch put together from all around the world.

Nice vid for someone promoting whatever. I'll call it totally fake.

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
one of the posters here, danduva, is very knowledgeable when it comes to dominican caves. check out his website here:
Daniel DuVall Photography

Your are talking cave art vs underwater paleontology and diving. Monkey Jundgle and others have cave art. Paleontology underwater and diving in very different by a few years.

How many vids, photos, comments have we had on DR1 OR Google about the OP vid. NONE.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
dr1 is not a source for anything scientific and that this video has been posted on youtube on the 13th of october 2013 so not that long ago.
what is it, exactly, that is fake there? dominican scientist mentioned in credits, renato rimoli is well known for his work in paleontology, he has numerous publications regarding dominicans fossils as well. also in underwater caves:
Hallan cocodrilos en cueva del Este | Explora! Dominicana
REGI?N ESTE))Cient?ficos descubren restos de mono sumergido en cueva de manantial en Bayahibe | ?ltimo Minuto/Serie26
Asamblea Nacional Ambiental (ANA): LA CUEVA DE LAS MARAVILLAS

NYWadjet

Jan 3, 2010
Not fake I personally know one of the founders of the society and see his unedited films and pictures all the time.

Oh and he just bought new filming equipment.

Eugeniefs

Jan 24, 2008
I have heard from some of the experienced divers here in the Altagracia area that there are so many caves here in the DR that are yet to be explored (properly), the diving itself sucks a bit at times but the cave systems are numerous... I know that there are more and more divers coming over to see the caves and not the reefs (not surprising really as the latter are so badly destroyed).

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
nice discovery. it would be great it this cave could really become a tourist attraction. well, special tourists as not everyone can go and dive in a place like this. but nonetheless...