Plastic Surgery..... LIPOSUCTION

frankie90210

Banned
Dec 27, 2012
Has anyone had the LIPOSUCTION proceedure tried out in the DR? Is it safe? Is it expensive? Any suggestions of Dr.'s you can trust.

thanks

Belle

Eugeniefs

Jan 24, 2008
I have to say that I am terrified of these sorts of procedures and I wouldn't have it done anywhere in the world. Just be careful, please Belle, because I have heard of some real horror stories. I could probably go for ten of these procedures and still need some more to be done but I haven't been tempted... I keep thinking of visiting the gym but that is as far as I have got ... thinking of changing that before the end of the year, lol!

Good luck ..

Jan 17, 2009
With all the horror stories we read about locally, I would not consider liposuction in this country. I had one procedure (a different one) in a great hospital and supposedly with a great doc. Would never have anything else done here. Not worth the savings. The surgeon could be the best but the risk of infection is very, very high. Even if you leave the hospital without an infection, you'll have to take showers with boiled water for a long time to make sure you don't get infected from tap water.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
what? i had a surgery here (not cosmetic) and i washed in tap water. no infections and no problems. family members and friends had some cosmetic procedures (nip/tuck, various lifts, breasts, gastric bypass) and they all washed in tap water. no infections and no problems.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
harley, we talked about it before. tap water not so good for drinking if not filtered or treated. it is ok for washing, brushing teefs and cooking but i would not drink it. there are some folks here who also brush and cook with bottled water but i think they may be a bit nuts ;) oh, and i have seen some moms wash their newborn babies with bottled water. funny how they never seem to go to the same lengths with second or third kid ;)

in any case, i see no issues with tap water used for post op bathing unless you have a gaping wound. i heal like a viralata, accordingly to my mother so maybe i am not prone to infections either. just exercise common sense. my tap water is treated with cloro. post op i would also wash my scar with some antiseptic and apply rosa mosqueta.

you can find a good plastic surgeon in DR but i would not specifically come here for surgery, without local health insurance. there are always risks of complications involved and i would prefer the comfort of knowing i am fully covered in case of any issues. to go to any foreign country for a plastic fix is a mistake. recovery hurts like hell and traveling in such condition is very uncomfortable too. ideally you need to stay resting for a week or two with someone helping you move around, wash and take care of you in general. this is not a holiday trip.

Jan 17, 2009
Yes, no washing with tap water for over a month as recommended by my plastic surgeon (HOMS). Moreover, his assistance who had also had plastic surgery showered in regular water in Santo Domingo thinking it was better than Santiago's and got her incisions all infected. I wasn't about to argue and risk infection. Glad to hear neither you or your family members had any issues.

what? i had a surgery here (not cosmetic) and i washed in tap water. no infections and no problems. family members and friends had some cosmetic procedures (nip/tuck, various lifts, breasts, gastric bypass) and they all washed in tap water. no infections and no problems.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
that reminds me that the next day after my surgery i had a sponge bath. actually, no sponges were available so the nurse washed me with my own panties as a loofah. she used tap water and it was within 12 hours from the surgery. the wound was dressed but the bandages were drenched in water within a minute. very awkward experience.

Eugeniefs

Jan 24, 2008
We use tap water for brushing our pearlies too, I rinse my veggies in tap water and shower in it as well, the only time I didn't use tap water was when I had a gap wound in my leg but as I had stitches, I couldn't wet it anyway! As for liposuction surgery, I completely agree with dv8....

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
exactly. you need to take about 2-3 weeks off work, pay airfare and hotel, take someone with you who'd also have to take time off work. and none of you will really enjoy it because the patient needs to stay away from sun, no drinking, no dancing, not much moving at all, light diet and a supply of painkillers while traveling pal needs to help with bathing, dressing, getting up, sitting down and changing the bandages.

rogerjac

Bronze
Feb 9, 2012
Cuba has good doctors the only problem is you cant perform surgery in a dark cave.....Their facilities suck

Hernandez

Banned
Feb 9, 2009
Cuba has good doctors the only problem is you cant perform surgery in a dark cave.....Their facilities suck
In a good plastic surgery clinic in Colombia a surgeon does 2 surgeries per day, sometimes more. Most common are boobs, liposuction and butt augmentation (the last two usually comes together since the extracted fat goes to the butt). So, 10 surgeries per week for one doctor. In other words, a lot of experience.

What about Cuba? How many silicon boobs or liposuctions their doctors do per year? Less than 10, or maybe 0? With FDA approved materials, or with old-Soviet-20-years-ago-expired medicines and tools?

By the way, my wife had her plastic surgery done in Colombia, so I know what I am talking about. We had appointments in 20 clinics before we chose the right one.

DominicanQuest

Oct 22, 2012
LOL. My cunada just had a procedure today. Check with me in a few and I will tell you how it all went for her.

frankie90210

Banned
Dec 27, 2012
thanks to everyone that responded. I guess the DR isn't the place for Lipo.

Thanks for the 'wake up call'.

Belle