Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Manholes... be careful!

Having read a thread on Sosua and the jokes about manhole covers (or no covers) I thought I would share my little story with you guys. I live in Los Corales in Bavaro and love it here. Last year the authorities decided to create sidewalks (pavement to the Brits) along all the roads - fantastic we all thought. Then a friend of mine fell down a grate in the road - it moved when she stepped on it after having rushed across the road and was trying to get back up on the sidewalk before the passing bus made contact. It was a really nasty cut and in the end she decided to go back to Europe to have it looked at.

Not even a week later, a Dominican I know (rather large lady) fell down a similar 'hole' and it took three Dominicans to heave her out of there, she was shaken and had a few scratches and bruises but generally was OK.

Now having heard and seen the outcomes of the perils of our roads/sidewalks, what does this girl do but walk her dog one Sunday last year (21st October, 2012 to be precise) and I have dodged all manholes / grates and anything that looked suspicious. Then walking along the pavement having just passed the first entrance to Barceló Dominican Beach I was watching AMET supervising the painting of the yellow lines on the road, and I wasn't really concentrating on what was under my feet. I stepped on a manhole cover (metal one - hadn't been stolen yet) - there were two very close together and I had intended to walk between them.. but my luck had left me..

My left foot pressed on the edge of the manhole cover and it 'sprung' upwards, my leg fell down the hole, the manhole cover then bounced off my right leg knocking me completely over and in I went, up to my armpits. Luckily for me, I threw my arms out - my feet were flailing in the air and the pain.. OMG the pain, I screamed. AMET and a security guard from Barceló came running. My dog was on the ground shaking in terror. They put a tourniquet around my left ankle, stopped a taxi and told him to rush me to Centro Medico. The poor dog was left with security.

To cut a long story short the doctors ended up stitching up my leg muscle as well as the skin. It took over six painful weeks of antibiotics but the leg was still badly swollen, after 6 months I still couldn't walk so had been to Santo Domingo where I found that I had nerve damage in my left leg. Of course I visited Veron Ayuntamiento, who sent me to Ministry of Tourism in Friusa where I wrote them a report with photos. Didn't get even one reply... and still some of those manhole covers are not properly fixed, so take heed - do NOT walk on ANY cover (be it metal, concrete, wood, plastic - whatever!)

A year has passed, I still don't have complete feeling in my left leg/foot but I can now walk - it took me more than 9 months to be able to walk properly.. to this day I still won't walk on anything other than a proper sidewalk / pavement and nor does anyone in my family, including the dog!!! (I would attach a photo but I can only do so via a link, oh well, probably best I don't!!)

2. Likes jabejuventus liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eugeniefs View Post
    Not even a week later, a Dominican I know (rather large lady) fell down a similar 'hole' and it took three Dominicans to heave her out of there, she was shaken and had a few scratches and bruises but generally was OK.
    you have accidentally stumbled (no pun intended) on a possible solution to the problem. plug those holes with people. think of all the employment opportunities! ingenious.

4. Likes Abuela, Eugeniefs, amstellite liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

They often shove a tree limb into the holes.
    Usually AFTER a few people have fallen in, and often a lot of cars with broken suspensions!
    Fat people , like ME, have an advantage when we fall in.
    Lots of cushioning to protect us!!!!
    Sorry you were injured.
    NEVER, Ever, try to navigate a Sidewalk at night!!!
    Certain Death!!!!
    CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

6. Likes Eugeniefs, amstellite liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

8. Likes Criss Colon, Eugeniefs liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dv8 View Post
    you have accidentally stumbled (no pun intended) on a possible solution to the problem. plug those holes with people. think of all the employment opportunities! ingenious.
    Oh yes, never thought of that as a solution and no need to take time out for bathroom breaks, lol...

10. Likes Harleysrock liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Criss Colon View Post
    They often shove a tree limb into the holes.
    Usually AFTER a few people have fallen in, and often a lot of cars with broken suspensions!
    Fat people , like ME, have an advantage when we fall in.
    Lots of cushioning to protect us!!!!
    Sorry you were injured.
    NEVER, Ever, try to navigate a Sidewalk at night!!!
    Certain Death!!!!
    CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
    Oh yes, there were plenty of objects stuck into after my little adventure, but the hole is deep and I think they kept losing their branches etc., they turned it upside down a few times and I heard someone else did something almost as bad as me... so it has a bit of a bad reputation now, lol.... you are right as for navigating a sidewalk at night - you need night vision goggles. I am just waiting for a VIP staying in one of the hotels here and having a stumble, I am sure they would be able to sue the AR$E off someone, I just couldn't find anyone who would even reply to my letters, even the lawyers said it wasn't worth it... if only this had happened in the US/Canada or even Europe!!!!!!!!!! I would be a millionaire by now (even in pesos that would be better than nothing, lol!)

I am not skinny either CC but I still managed to fall in completely, imagine if it had been an older person or child - eeekkk!

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

sorry to hear about your story.......as i type there is a commercial on the (FOX)TV for lawyers looking for people who fell on sidewalks in USA.

this country is not classed as 3rd world for nothing.

hope it continues to improve........

dave

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by davetuna View Post
    sorry to hear about your story.......as i type there is a commercial on the (FOX)TV for lawyers looking for people who fell on sidewalks in USA.

this country is not classed as 3rd world for nothing.

hope it continues to improve........

dave
    Thanks Dave, I think it will take a little while yet but yes, most certainly am improving... sigh just dreaming of all that cash I will never see, lol.. Just have to get up and keep on walking (as they say), can't feel sorry for oneself... third class country this may be, but the people are great, that is why we moved and stayed

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

when I had my Bike crash, the doctors just called it a 'souvenir'............I don't mind, I actually prefer it this way, without all the legal wrangling.

When I lived in UK I knew people who tried it on all the time with these things. Falling over, whiplash, food poisoning blah blah.........they would have one spot of red wine on a carpet, and claim for the whole house. etc etc......

Nah, give me this way any day.

15. Likes drstock liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Here in the US, you could have lawyered up, and sued the local municipality back to the stone age. Probably wouldn't have had to work another day.... Que Pena........

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast