Used House Furnishings or Best New Prices

caribeman

Dec 26, 2011
Enjoy meeting new people/cultures
Has anyone had good recent experiences with NC or Santiago stores selling second hand stoves, refrigerators or other furniture? Who has the best new merchandise prices recently. Trying to finding online catalogs that work is clearly a joke... would like to make one shopping trip if possible.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I have been on the north coast for over 10 years and don't know of any second hand stores I would recommend. Perhaps there is such a location in Santiago, but....

La Sirena, Corrippio, Plaza Llama and PriceSmart are four places to shop for new. Finding everything you need in "one trip" makes me chuckle.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Has anyone had good recent experiences with NC or Santiago stores selling second hand stoves, refrigerators or other furniture? Who has the best new merchandise prices recently. Trying to finding online catalogs that work is clearly a joke... would like to make one shopping trip if possible.

IKEA in Santo Domingo and have them deliver. They have an excellent online catalog.

tommeyers

On Vacation!
Jan 2, 2012
I live in Santiago
I just furnished a house in Santiago. The two primary sources were Ikea and el furgon. El Furgon has used and new; good quality, good price, good service. Ikea has so much more in the SD store that I went to SD to shop at Ikea and had it delivered to Ikea/Santiaglo (free). At el furgon i recommend you work with Jesus. He speaks english and is an owner. El Furgon: ave. Francia #2 al lado del punte, 1-809-581-6781 .

Manzana

Jan 23, 2007

Since there are often people wanting to sell off most of their furniture, appliances and stuff when they move out of the DR as well as people wanting to move in and buy all that stuff it might be useful to have a sticky thread forboth people coming or going.

oceanspear

Nov 23, 2012
Check la pulga.com.do that is where the dominicans buy and sell online... also corotos.com the prices are all over the place...
why buy new, when you can save crazy money buying good second hand stuff?

oceanspear

Nov 23, 2012
Check la pulga.com.do that is where the dominicans buy and sell online... also corotos.com the prices are all over the place...
why buy new, when you can save crazy money buying good second hand stuff?

caribeman

Dec 26, 2011
Thanks for the good suggestions. Went and spent day at all the stores in Santiago suggested. Got a suggestion from a friend about places across from Estadio Cibao. Got a Estufa de Mesa, Tanque, Doble Plaza Colchon and a Nevera Ejecutiva all for $12000rd plus transporte....and got home at 10 PM to happy home in NC>

Shopping takes work here... fun experience tho...

Last edited:

SANTIAGO ONE

Oct 20, 2013
Thanks for the good suggestions. Went and spent day at all the stores in Santiago suggested. Got a suggestion from a friend about places across from Estadio Cibao. Got a Estufa de Mesa, Tanque, Doble Plaza Colchon and a Nevera Ejecutiva all for $12000rd plus transporte....and got home at 10 PM to happy home in NC>

Shopping takes work here... fun experience tho...
Did you happen to notice any sofa or living room , dining room sets and washing machine that seemed a good deal during your travels yesterday? I am trying to furnish a large 4 bedroom.......

caribeman

Dec 26, 2011
There are many places - all up and down that street. Most of what I saw was traditional mahogany, gaudy uncomfortable furniture. A few places had a variety. Some dining sets. If you are persistent there can be good deals. Some are too pushy...reminded me of a Maxwell Street vendor. I walked in and walked out.

caribeman

Dec 26, 2011
Not sure, but I went in La Curacao...it looked like a Rent A Center type thing...had cards on all the tables with pricing, Incio, Pagado..etc... like you pay so much now, so much a month...and by the time it is paid off it is time to throw it away and buy a new one!

Who knows, maybe it was just suggestive advertising...

rogerjac

Bronze
Feb 9, 2012
I bought most of my furniture at stores on that street. You can pick and choose and then work out the best deal. Bought bedroom sets, dining room set and some accent tables. Sofa sets here are not the comfy type like we see in Canada. I bought mine at Plaza Lama, double reclining sofa and a rocker recliner chair. They were on sale for 37000 and I talked him down to 32000 with delivery

caribeman

Dec 26, 2011
As an aside... but not... if you are looking for finer furniture or more contemporary La Casita in Santiago is a great store (but not inexpensive) Requires some talking to get your price. Dominican family owned. Have a smaller store downtown as well.