Coastal Credit Card problems or fraud?

Bred

Bronze
Aug 13, 2006
Sosua
Tried to pay for gasoline 1000 pesos with my VISA card. Card declined. Same story with another customer at same time. They took the cards inside of Ancla supermercado. I did not see what they do with it there. Came back with "card declined". Had to pay cash afterall. Today (2 days after) found in online banking -

04/nov/13 CONSUMO EN ESTABLECIMIENTO COASTAL/GASOLINERA 1,000.00

Glad it was only 1000 Pesos.

Vinyasa

Bronze
Dec 22, 2010
www.kieranbarry.com
never lose sight of your cards....very easy to clone them when they're out of sight

i avoid using cards as much as possible in developing countries. There's a cash machine at coastal so i would much rather go and withdraw cash whilst they pump my gas

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
Although I've never had my card cloned or card charged without my knowledge, gas stations are one place where I avoid using my credit card at all costs. Large supermarkets, restaurant chains, large stores, I've never had any problems there but I've heard too many horror stories about gas stations that I prefer to not push my luck.

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Tried to pay for gasoline 1000 pesos with my VISA card. Card declined. Same story with another customer at same time. They took the cards inside of Ancla supermercado. I did not see what they do with it there. Came back with "card declined". Had to pay cash afterall. Today (2 days after) found in online banking -

04/nov/13 CONSUMO EN ESTABLECIMIENTO COASTAL/GASOLINERA 1,000.00

Glad it was only 1000 Pesos.
The card machines at Coastal are weird. The one outside by the pumps does not accept cards with a chip. I always use one of my cards that has no chip and no problem. I was told the one inside accepts chips but never tried it. I, in no way doubt the honesty of the employees at Coastal. (However, one never knows)

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
The card system isn't perfect --ANYWHERE!!

Just this week, PayPal screwed me twice...
Both times my payment was processed and yet I rec'd an e-mail saying that my card hasd encountered problems and the pa
yment couldn't be processed.

Luckily for me , the payment was to a friend and I was refunded the errors.

Coastal has been discussed here many times and the owner will come on to respond to your issues.

In the past , he has been very forthright

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Credit Cards, & Dominicans don't mix!!!!!!
I NEVER use them here anymore!
I have a Banreservas CC that I use only at supermarkets and "Big Box" stores.
I had one of my banks in Boston disallow ANY trans actions with my CC.
They will only cash my personal checks now.
My other US, "CC" I never use here, but I use it on Amazon, Walmart,etc.
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
If you still have all your "Paperwork" about the 1,000 pesos, take it to the owner, my guess is, he will refund your money!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

peterw

Mar 15, 2007
Hi To all ..... Peter here , the owner of Coastal .
The card system here has often problems ..... last week with the lightning / storms , the outside system broke . It took a few days before we got a new machine .
Now it happens sometimes , that a card gets declined , and after it shows up on the client his statements . In that case , pass by , and we will check together with you our statements of that day .... if it went through on ours , we will refund you the amount .... It also happens that it is on your statement , but not deposit on ours , in that case , you must talk to you bank , and they will refund you . You will get your money back for sure !
Also you have to know that international credit cards are restricted for security reasons in gas station . Amounts above 2,000 pesos , often don't get accepted out of security reasons . ( this because yes indeed gas stations are often used for credit card frauds ( but not here at coastal ! ) )
Any questions , feel free to reply to this post .

peterw

Mar 15, 2007
pass by Coastal and ask for Tony , to check together with you and my secretary the statements from that day ..... ( I am out of the country for 1 week )

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
Hi To all ..... Peter here , the owner of Coastal .
The card system here has often problems ..... last week with the lightning / storms , the outside system broke . It took a few days before we got a new machine .
Now it happens sometimes , that a card gets declined , and after it shows up on the client his statements . In that case , pass by , and we will check together with you our statements of that day .... if it went through on ours , we will refund you the amount .... It also happens that it is on your statement , but not deposit on ours , in that case , you must talk to you bank , and they will refund you . You will get your money back for sure !
Also you have to know that international credit cards are restricted for security reasons in gas station . Amounts above 2,000 pesos , often don't get accepted out of security reasons . ( this because yes indeed gas stations are often used for credit card frauds ( but not here at coastal ! ) )
Any questions , feel free to reply to this post .

What better answer could you ask for. The owner is offering a process to set things right.

Good job peterw for putting yourself and reputation out in public for a possible resolution.

:)

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
THis is not Peter's first response to problems.

His Coastal took a real beating here once and he calmly responded to every problem.

If you re-read that thread, you will see me posting that he had won over a faithful customer...ME!

Yes, I stop there whenever I visit Sosua....... never a problem

Bred

Bronze
Aug 13, 2006
Sosua
What better answer could you ask for. The owner is offering a process to set things right.

Good job peterw for putting yourself and reputation out in public for a possible resolution.

:)

OK, will see today if I get my 1000 pesos back. There were others in the same situation who do not read dr1 forums.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
AND, next time you stop to "Fill Up" your car, I highly recommend you go into the "Mini Market" there and "Fill Up" your own "Tank"!!!
Been a while for me, but the selections, and prices were always great!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Bred

Bronze
Aug 13, 2006
Sosua
OK, will see today if I get my 1000 pesos back. There were others in the same situation who do not read dr1 forums.

I am out of 1000 pesos. Twice went to Coastal today and twice - to the bank. The customer is on his own after the money is taken. Coastal blames the bank and the bank blames Coastal. I can not afford to spend days to recover 1000 pesos. My time is more expensive, sorry. No more cards at Coastal.

hammerdown

Bronze
Apr 29, 2005
Peter said he would refund the money -- not the bank.

you may need to wait for him.

Vamos a ver

William, what I read from Peter is that if the transaction went through his account, he would refund the money, also if it didn't go through his account, then the client would have to deal with his bank for a refund......and as it looks like here, the bank doesn't want to do anything to help out the customer.....
To the OP, Just what bank were you dealing with?

Bred

Bronze
Aug 13, 2006
Sosua
Peter said he would refund the money -- not the bank.

you may need to wait for him.

Vamos a ver

He needs to fix the problem at the Coastal in general. 200 Pesos DSL modem for internet in the office that is not functioning properly or not functioning at all, failing important internet transactions that cost his customer a lot more money than a decent better quality modem? Poor girl restarted it twice in front of me and it was still not connecting. I do not really care about 1000 pesos. I left much more there in tips during last few years, I think.
I just passed the warning to all of you, and I agree with - cash only, please.