Government is biggest employer

jkc

Jun 24, 2013
The International Monetary Fund (IMF) expects unemployment in the Dominican Republic to increase from 14 to 16%. In recent years, jobs have been increasing in the informal sector and in government. As of 2012, country statistics show 57% of jobs outside of government were in the non-regulated sector. Economist Ernesto Selman, of the Regional Center for Sustainable Economic Strategies (CREES) says that 70% of jobs created in the past 10 years has been in government. He says the oversized public sector demands more resources for its operation and pressures and makes productive sectors, those that should be generating wealth, more inefficient.

"We have to create the conditions so that those jobs can be created in the formal private sector and the challenges including adapting the labor code to the international marketplace," he said. He expressed concern that informal jobs have grown at twice the rate as those in the formal sector. Informal jobs do not pay taxes and employees have few benefits, such as insurance.

Selman says that Central Bank statistics show that jobs in financial intermediaries, including insurance companies has increased 88%, and telecom jobs are up 63%. Jobs in commerce are up 35%, tourism (54%) and construction (45%). Meanwhile, jobs in government were up 44%. Farming sector jobs were up 14% and jobs in industry declined 18%.

Sector p?blico absorbe el 70% del empleo en RD - listindiario.com

jkc

Jun 24, 2013
The problem with these third countries is too much NEPOTISM! PAPA, MAMA, SOBRINO, PRIMO, NIETEO ECT...
it is very common in these third world countries, wich puts the government over budget

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
The problem with these third countries is too much NEPOTISM! PAPA, MAMA, SOBRINO, PRIMO, NIETEO ECT...
it is very common in these third world countries, wich puts the government over budget

that is only half the problem. the other half is that in many cases PAPA, MAMA, SOBRINO, PRIMO, NIETO can barely spell their names.

PaGuyinDr

Sep 2, 2013
Sounds like the DR is following the lead of the US. A bloated federal government, the government sector the only growing sector of the economy, lots of "informal" jobs on the rise of in the private sector, due the crushing weight of payroll taxes, benefits, etc. Yup. Sounds real familiar.

kampinge

Jan 18, 2012
Sounds like the DR is following the lead of the US. A bloated federal government, the government sector the only growing sector of the economy, lots of "informal" jobs on the rise of in the private sector, due the crushing weight of payroll taxes, benefits, etc. Yup. Sounds real familiar.
As long as the United States not follow the Dominican Republic it is OK for me, and that would never happen

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010

care to explain why job growth in the private sector lags behind private sector growth in the USA?

CRUSHING WEIGHT OF BENEFITS?

kdolo

Mar 9, 2009
care to explain why job growth in the private sector lags behind private sector growth in the USA?

CRUSHING WEIGHT OF BENEFITS?

crushing weight of benefits
taxation
over-regulation
government debt

all combine to destroy and restrict the growth of the private sector. Most private sector jobs in the US are created by small business - the above combine to make starting, running, and growing a small business extremely difficult.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
crushing weight of benefits
taxation
over-regulation
government debt

all combine to destroy and restrict the growth of the private sector. Most private sector jobs in the US are created by small business - the above combine to make starting, running, and growing a small business extremely difficult.

which time period are you describing? crushing weight of benefits such as what? how many businesses are cutting back on hours offered to employees, so they do not qualify for certain benefits?

all business is subject to taxation, the world over.

over-regulation? give us a few examples..

how does government debt affect job formation in the private sector?

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
can you keep it DR related? i don't care about american government.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
more on topic - i hope - an article from listin diario today:
Ventas de frutas para sobrevivir - listindiario.com

scroll down to the end and you will see:
El sector informal tiene un gran peso dentro de la econom?a dominicana. En 2000 el 50.8% de las personas ocupadas operaban en el sector informal, y en el 2005, este porcentaje se elev? a 56.2%. Las cifras provienen de la Unidad de Informaci?n Social (UIS) del Secretariado T?cnico de la Presidencia.

i think it puts the issue of the government jobs in a slightly different perspective.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
more on topic - i hope - an article from listin diario today:
Ventas de frutas para sobrevivir - listindiario.com

scroll down to the end and you will see:
El sector informal tiene un gran peso dentro de la econom?a dominicana. En 2000 el 50.8% de las personas ocupadas operaban en el sector informal, y en el 2005, este porcentaje se elev? a 56.2%. Las cifras provienen de la Unidad de Informaci?n Social (UIS) del Secretariado T?cnico de la Presidencia.

i think it puts the issue of the government jobs in a slightly different perspective.

the fun part is that many of the jobs in the informal sector are far more productive than the ones in government, most of which accomplish less than nothing.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
this frutero is making 2-3k pesos a day. he rents a truck at 300 a day. he needs to buy fruits and other supplies. i am sure his profit is 1000-1500 a day. this is 5000-7500 a week (i assume 5 working days since his main clients work in offices and similar establishments). this is a decent salary.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Have you ever tried starting and running a small business? It ain't that bad. One can avoid almost all of your list of crushing weight of benefits
taxation
over-regulation
government debt
if one chooses. Try reading the book "How I Found Freedom in an UNfree World." There are a lot of tips fir running a business without conforming. I ran one for 28 years unhindered by most of ths.
Der Fish

he will read it after he turns off Fox News.

jkc

Jun 24, 2013
can you keep it DR related? i don't care about american government.

I think that is beyong my comprehension when someone is comparing DR TO USA! Come one! you guys do not have any common sense to even understand that? You cannot compare DR to USA. Frankly, it looks like some DOMINICANS ARE BECOMING TOO DOMINICANS, not realizing that they are not helping their country!

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i am fine with comparing. this is normal. i compare DR to poland all the time when we talk about how some stuff is done in other countries and discuss some issues in depth. but constant drifting to USA and obama every time the word "government" is used is beyond me. i do not go on about this fat halfwit whatshisface, who is a polish president. komorowski. i think. i live in DR.