Moving to DR; what to do with my 220V European electronical appliances

Stefan1983

Nov 6, 2013
Hi guys,

I am new to this forum, and hope I posted this in the right section. Well, the title describes my question.
I have read about some adaptor's that convert power. Is this what I should buy and take before I come to DR?
Do you know which ones work well?
Or are there other options? I have a lot of small electronics for example kitchen appliances, that aren't very pricy, so I am doubting to take them or to just leave them.

Thanks in advance, and also for the great reads I already had here.

Stefan

davetuna

Bronze
Jun 19, 2012
Cabarete, Dominican Republic
well, generally anything which has motor will only be half as powerful on 110 volts. so not much use really.

A lot of people here take advantage of US shipping services, I use one my self, you can buy US electronics and ship them to the DR, plenty of threads talking about this. I use'encargopac' here on the north coast.
EncargoPaq | A tiempo en tu Puerta!

as for convertors, I haven't used one but they are available with a 2220/240 output.

I shall let other chime in, with 220 suggestions.

dave

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
my guests bring some of their electronics from europe, stuff like laptops and hair dryers. they work without issues. however, i would not recommend bringing along household appliances when moving. it makes no sense. you can only bring relatively small amount of luggage and you should have other priorities. sell or give away and then purchase from the states. you can use a mudanza services and ship to their address and then they will bring everything together at a flat rate so you do not need to worry about taxes and custom charges. for some stuff, like laptops, mobiles, cameras and so on you can simply purchase a new cable, cheapo cheapo.

Eugeniefs

Jan 24, 2008
Hi Stefan and welcome to this great forum.

I have to say that we moved over here from Spain 7 years ago bringing UK as well as Spanish electrical goods with us. A BIG mistake. Personally, after having changed half of our two floor apartment to 110v and 220v - it isn't worth it! Leave all your electrical stuff behind and buy US 110v. We had TV's, toothbrushes, videos, CD/DVD players, Hi-Fi's - the majority in fact of our electrical stuff was from Europe and there is NOTHING that has survived.

I don't know where you are moving to but initially the power here in Punta Cana was great until they continued their massive building programme which meant that there have recently been some terrible power surges. Our UK stuff tried valiantly to cope with the lesser voltage even hooked up to the 220v (UK is 240v) and died... our Spanish stuff, a lot of it was new also died over a couple of years. So not only did we pay customs to get our stuff here but then had to change our voltage in the house to cope with all our bits and pieces. Now everything is 'American'... I would do the same if you can...

Rep Dom

Bronze
Dec 27, 2011
of course it can be better to sell and buy 110v stuff... But some places have 110 and 220 available
and you can find good adaptators, but for that,my advice is to buy them in the dr

D.Rep

Jan 6, 2011
The voltage is not a big issue, simply ask for a 220V line and you will get it, then you can use 220V and 110V as needed, as the 220V line will be two 110V lines. The real problem comes with the 60Hz (instead of the 50Hz from Europe). So most timers will be wrong as normally the Timing Signal will be generated out of the frequency.

Britcouple

Aug 13, 2009
The voltage is not a big issue, simply ask for a 220V line and you will get it, then you can use 220V and 110V as needed, as the 220V line will be two 110V lines. The real problem comes with the 60Hz (instead of the 50Hz from Europe). So most timers will be wrong as normally the Timing Signal will be generated out of the frequency.

Totally agree...they will work over here, just not very long, it's the frequency issue that will wreck appliances quickly

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
The only things I brought from Europe (and work fine without any adaptor) are my TV and wii. I left all the other stuff in Holland. Did bring by drill, but need a converter for it to work and it costs about the same as a new drill.

CG

Bronze
Sep 16, 2004
Sell it all or give them to someone in need.

Alot of it kinda depends on the electrical installation where your living, the power company and the number of cut's, surges etc.

If you have an appliance you can't bear to part with bring it along but know it will die a slow death, could die abruptly on the first use or do it's duty for awhile, perhaps a yr (?). As mentioned it's the Hertz/frequency thing that can't get a grip.

Good luck and welcome to the island!

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
Brought loads of stuff over from europe, microwave, tv, playstation, computer, hairdryer, toothbrush, blenders..... u name it. They have been working for over 5 years on 220v over here. Just got double sockets everywhere. 220v/110v. Never even thought about hz problem.
Waterpumps and pool pumps also work on220v ( even if the late electrician powered them with110v, but they are good tough pumps so they survived).

Stefan1983

Nov 6, 2013
Thanks for all the anwers and the welccome!

It is clear for me now, I will have to get rid of a lot of stuff the coming month :) And take the things only that say they handle
110V-230V. As I am going to be renting, I think it will be difficult to change to double sockets, and reading about the Hz makes it final.

Thanks again, and hope to see you all around

Stefan