USA Unemployment Benefits?

SANTIAGO ONE

Oct 20, 2013
I work for an American firm, but live here in DR, I wondered is it possible to file for and draw unemployment benefits from here if I am laid off? Has anyone actually done it?

May 29, 2006
Unemployment is paid by the state you reside in. You might try calling the state where your employer is based. Filing a claim is usually possible online, but they would prob expect you to have US residency in the same state.

jbars

Jul 6, 2007
Unemployment is paid by the state you reside in. You might try calling the state where your employer is based. Filing a claim is usually possible online, but they would prob expect you to have US residency in the same state.

I made the mistake of claiming it while in DR from a computer in DR, and the claim was denied. In fact, I received a penalty for doing so. I would not advise doing it. You can only collect if you are in the states and "ready, willing, and able to work" for the periods of time you are claiming.

SANTIAGO ONE

Oct 20, 2013
you're right, I just called the state UI office for my 'home' state ( where my state taxes are being deducted/paid too) and the the rep said the exact same thing, file online and have a local address, should be no problem she said as long as I can 'prove' I am looking for work no matter where I am in the event I am laid off. Thx

jbars

Jul 6, 2007
you're right, I just called the state UI office for my 'home' state ( where my state taxes are being deducted/paid too) and the the rep said the exact same thing, file online and have a local address, should be no problem she said as long as I can 'prove' I am looking for work no matter where I am in the event I am laid off. Thx

They will capture a URL from the DR and you will have to explain why you filed from there.

SANTIAGO ONE

Oct 20, 2013
alright I understand, If I get laid off I have to make my way home and file, hopefully this is just an exercise in fact finding and will not be neccesary thx.

jbars

Jul 6, 2007
alright I understand, If I get laid off I have to make my way home and file, hopefully this is just an exercise in fact finding and will not be neccesary thx.

I meant filing on a weekly basis to receive weekly payments.

rogerjac

Bronze
Feb 9, 2012
In Canada if you are on UIC you will not receive benifits if you leave the country. Years ago I was caught months after and I had to pay it back plus a penalty. Damn computers all connected. They catch you sooner or later.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
In Canada if you are on UIC you will not receive benifits if you leave the country. Years ago I was caught months after and I had to pay it back plus a penalty. Damn computers all connected. They catch you sooner or later.

did they catch your credit card payments for Johnny Black in Playa Dorada?

tcast305

Jul 17, 2009
They will capture a URL from the DR and you will have to explain why you filed from there.

Actually its not the url but the source IP, (your IP assigned by your ISP).

Any easy workaround is use a VPN that routes out of your state, so they would not be able to flag you.

Also remember that some states require you to come in after you file one time for an interview (group interview).

Thanks.

SANTIAGO ONE

Oct 20, 2013
makes sense, guess they wouldnt want you in some exotic locale, claiming you're looking for work but not having any luck finding anything!!:smoke:

rogerjac

Bronze
Feb 9, 2012
I used to have Canadians come down and work for me in Florida for the winter. They made the claim that their bennies were sent to them there in Florida. And that they got about $300.00 a week. Mostly Quebeckers.
Der Fish

That was then, now as you croos the border they scan your passport and boom your done

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
makes sense, guess they wouldnt want you in some exotic locale, claiming you're looking for work but not having any luck finding anything!!:smoke:

especially when there is a huge blob of jizz on the pc keyboard while you are typing the email.

rogerjac

Bronze
Feb 9, 2012
Of course I do remember going away for a week or so and not getting caught. Those were the days. Being on an exotic beach with some young thing and getting paid for it.