Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Default You Guys Changed My Mind Leading to Jarabacoa Question LOL

So I had planned to take a whip down to Isabela for a couple of days but got enticed to switch my plans to Jarabacoa.

I am going to do a horseback/waterfall tour but can anyone recommend anything else I can do or see there without purchasing a second tour?

I just want to go off on my own =)

Also Google said the drive is 1 1/2 hours from Sosua but when I take the mountain it sometimes takes that long for me just to reach Santiago. Can someone give me a realistic time-frame re: how long I will be in the car?

Thanks

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

1 hour and a bit over the Moca road to the highway... 20 minutes to the Jarabacoa exit... half an hour to Jarabacoa if you do not get stuck behind a lorry. I know, I used to live there.

Things to do... visit La Confluenzia where the 2 rivers meet, the Monte Alto coffee factory, Jimenoa waterfall 2 on foot (number 1 is rubbish), water rafting, the restaurant up in the mountains (jamaca de dios) but the view is priceless, and the food is semi decent but very, very expensive.

When you drive up the mountain, you will see a small restaurant selling ribs on the left side... stop and enjoy, they are fabulous

BelgianK

3. Likes jinty05 liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

If you can please post some pictures of your adventures in Jarabacoa. I've heard so much about it that it sounds like an Utopia.

DR1
    Post Thanks / Like

Depending on how much time you have:
    Salto de Jimenoa. Quite close in town. Fun walking over the swinging hanging bridges to get to the waterfall. Figure half day.
    River rafting, can be arranged by Rancho Baiguate. At Rancho Baiguate, see their butterflies area and their fish farm (yes in the mountains). Consider hiking in Pico Duarte -- plan on three days.
    Cafe de Monte Alto Tour (ramirezcoffee.com) and
    cafealtagracia.comCafe Altagracia in Los Dajaos -- be sure to see the Catedral del Bambu, also.

If you are there on Sunday, head to the Monasterio Cisterciense for mass on Sunday.

You can play a round of golf at the 9 hole Jarabacoa Golf Club.

Enjoy!

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

cjewell,
    We did this trip recently from Sosua and it took 2hrs 30 mins to get there. If you are in POP you will probably lop off 20 minutes.

Olly and the Team

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by belgiank View Post
    1 hour and a bit over the Moca road to the highway... 20 minutes to the Jarabacoa exit... half an hour to Jarabacoa if you do not get stuck behind a lorry. I know, I used to live there.

Things to do... visit La Confluenzia where the 2 rivers meet, the Monte Alto coffee factory, Jimenoa waterfall 2 on foot (number 1 is rubbish), water rafting, the restaurant up in the mountains (jamaca de dios) but the view is priceless, and the food is semi decent but very, very expensive.

When you drive up the mountain, you will see a small restaurant selling ribs on the left side... stop and enjoy, they are fabulous

BelgianK
    Excellent advice - thank you!!!

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bronzeallspice View Post
    If you can please post some pictures of your adventures in Jarabacoa. I've heard so much about it that it sounds like an Utopia.
    I will be sure to - I just booked for the 18th-20th at Gran Jimenoa Hotel Gran Jimenoa Hotel. I'm so excited!!

9. Likes bronzeallspice liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Olly View Post
    cjewell,
    We did this trip recently from Sosua and it took 2hrs 30 mins to get there. If you are in POP you will probably lop off 20 minutes.

Olly and the Team
    ooo That's what I was thinking. I took the mountain route to Santiago a few weeks ago and it took forever because the road was bad and I did not want to break the rental so I ended up driving super slow most of the way.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cjewell View Post
    ooo That's what I was thinking. I took the mountain route to Santiago a few weeks ago and it took forever because the road was bad and I did not want to break the rental so I ended up driving super slow most of the way.
    You must of taken the tourist road off the highway to puerto plata. Take the Mocha road, it's in much better condition.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by belgiank View Post

BelgianK
    Parada de Jesus is the name. Yes they are really good.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast