You Guys Changed My Mind Leading to Jarabacoa Question LOL

cjewell

Bronze
Oct 11, 2004
So I had planned to take a whip down to Isabela for a couple of days but got enticed to switch my plans to Jarabacoa.

I am going to do a horseback/waterfall tour but can anyone recommend anything else I can do or see there without purchasing a second tour?

I just want to go off on my own =)

Also Google said the drive is 1 1/2 hours from Sosua but when I take the mountain it sometimes takes that long for me just to reach Santiago. Can someone give me a realistic time-frame re: how long I will be in the car?

Thanks

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
1 hour and a bit over the Moca road to the highway... 20 minutes to the Jarabacoa exit... half an hour to Jarabacoa if you do not get stuck behind a lorry. I know, I used to live there.

Things to do... visit La Confluenzia where the 2 rivers meet, the Monte Alto coffee factory, Jimenoa waterfall 2 on foot (number 1 is rubbish), water rafting, the restaurant up in the mountains (jamaca de dios) but the view is priceless, and the food is semi decent but very, very expensive.

When you drive up the mountain, you will see a small restaurant selling ribs on the left side... stop and enjoy, they are fabulous

BelgianK

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
If you can please post some pictures of your adventures in Jarabacoa. I've heard so much about it that it sounds like an Utopia.:)

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Depending on how much time you have:
Salto de Jimenoa. Quite close in town. Fun walking over the swinging hanging bridges to get to the waterfall. Figure half day.
River rafting, can be arranged by Rancho Baiguate. At Rancho Baiguate, see their butterflies area and their fish farm (yes in the mountains). Consider hiking in Pico Duarte -- plan on three days.
Cafe de Monte Alto Tour (ramirezcoffee.com) and
cafealtagracia.comCafe Altagracia in Los Dajaos -- be sure to see the Catedral del Bambu, also.

If you are there on Sunday, head to the Monasterio Cisterciense for mass on Sunday.

You can play a round of golf at the 9 hole Jarabacoa Golf Club.

Enjoy!

Olly

Bronze
Mar 12, 2007
cjewell,
We did this trip recently from Sosua and it took 2hrs 30 mins to get there. If you are in POP you will probably lop off 20 minutes.

Olly and the Team

cjewell

Bronze
Oct 11, 2004
1 hour and a bit over the Moca road to the highway... 20 minutes to the Jarabacoa exit... half an hour to Jarabacoa if you do not get stuck behind a lorry. I know, I used to live there.

Things to do... visit La Confluenzia where the 2 rivers meet, the Monte Alto coffee factory, Jimenoa waterfall 2 on foot (number 1 is rubbish), water rafting, the restaurant up in the mountains (jamaca de dios) but the view is priceless, and the food is semi decent but very, very expensive.

When you drive up the mountain, you will see a small restaurant selling ribs on the left side... stop and enjoy, they are fabulous

BelgianK

Excellent advice - thank you!!!

cjewell

Bronze
Oct 11, 2004
cjewell,
We did this trip recently from Sosua and it took 2hrs 30 mins to get there. If you are in POP you will probably lop off 20 minutes.

Olly and the Team

ooo That's what I was thinking. I took the mountain route to Santiago a few weeks ago and it took forever because the road was bad and I did not want to break the rental so I ended up driving super slow most of the way.

Seamonkey

Bronze
Oct 6, 2009
ooo That's what I was thinking. I took the mountain route to Santiago a few weeks ago and it took forever because the road was bad and I did not want to break the rental so I ended up driving super slow most of the way.

You must of taken the tourist road off the highway to puerto plata. Take the Mocha road, it's in much better condition.

Tom F.

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
In July I went to Jarabacoa with a friend for breakfast from SFM. Stopped in and saw the Grand Jimenoa and it is a very nice place. From there we went on to Constanza for lunch at AltosCerros. At noon it was 54 degrees F in July. Excellent food and the owner's wife is a cousin of my wife. That new road is a nice drive. The drive down from Constanza to the pista was something else. The only other time I had been to Constanza was from the San Jose de Ocoa road in 88.

cjewell

Bronze
Oct 11, 2004
In July I went to Jarabacoa with a friend for breakfast from SFM. Stopped in and saw the Grand Jimenoa and it is a very nice place. From there we went on to Constanza for lunch at AltosCerros. At noon it was 54 degrees F in July. Excellent food and the owner's wife is a cousin of my wife. That new road is a nice drive. The drive down from Constanza to the pista was something else. The only other time I had been to Constanza was from the San Jose de Ocoa road in 88.

Are you sure about the temperature - 54 F sounds pretty cold for DR. Are you sure? OMG now I am worried - I don't want to go if its that cold there.

hammerdown

Bronze
Apr 29, 2005
Are you sure about the temperature - 54 F sounds pretty cold for DR. Are you sure? OMG now I am worried - I don't want to go if its that cold there.

You have to remember Constanza is way up in the mountains, and it does get quite cold up there. I have a Danish friend that has a pic of him and his wife huddled around their oven to keep warm one night, they said it got to 6 celcius that night. For DR that's REAL cold.
Don't worry about it, just bring a coat and you will be fine.

cjewell

Bronze
Oct 11, 2004
You have to remember Constanza is way up in the mountains, and it does get quite cold up there. I have a Danish friend that has a pic of him and his wife huddled around their oven to keep warm one night, they said it got to 6 celcius that night. For DR that's REAL cold.
Don't worry about it, just bring a coat and you will be fine.

How far is Constanza from Jarabacoa --- is it cold in Jarabacoa?

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
The coldest I have known it in Jarabacoa was 19C at night... yes we did light up the fireplace :)

BelgianK

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast

Not an exaggeration for Constanza - I've been in Ocoa when it was about the same [later "warmed up" to 17C], but Jarabacoa isnot that cold. We were there in January and it wasn't bad at all.