food pollution

Rep Dom

Bronze
Dec 27, 2011
Hi everyone, to your opinion, how is the local dominican food in terms of use of chemicals for fruits and meat?
IOW, when we for instance buy pinas, papayas... in the DR, are they free of chemicals, pesticides and so on?
And what about local meat? Is it natural or full of chem craps like in Europe or US?
:)

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I asked Mr. AE and this is his 'opinion'. He believes that Dominican meat does not contain chemicals. He says they normally will wash the cows [externally when alive] with something called barrical [sp??], and the same thing "might" be sprayed on fruit trees. As far as he knows, they do not inject the cows with anything. He thinks most of the fruit is not sprayed.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Usually no chemicals in meat or fruit but commercially produced avocados are sometimes injected to make them ripen quicker.

Matilda

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
I don't know about chemicals, but most of the meat I buy from the supermarket loses gallons of water when it is cooked. If they inject it with water, I wouldn't be surprised whatever else they might add.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
the contamination happens at different stages of production. in case of meat you have a farmer spiking animals with various antibiotics and then the supermarket doing their magic to keep the meat look fresh and nice.

in any case, in DR. i think the level of the contamination is not as high as in western countries where meat/milk/eggs and so on is a mass production. in DR the suppliers are smaller but there are more of them. what supermarkets do to ensure the good looks of a product is another thing. i am sure many give little touch ups.

Rep Dom

Bronze
Dec 27, 2011
it s true than meat from playero for instance looses a lot of water when you cook it...

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
The fact is that Dominicanas only have one method of cooking, "High Flame", Looooong cooking time, stop when every drop of moisture is burned off!
Anyone who thinks that Dominicans won't do anything possible to increase their production, of fruits, vegetables, and/or livestock, should stay up till midnight on Dec, 24th and say "Hola" to "Santa Clos"!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
Or just eat Salami, and stop wondering!

monfongo

Bronze
Feb 10, 2005
A friend of mine who is a farmer in Canada was in Constansa and he told me they spray the vegys with chemicles that are illegal in north America.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
a short example here, bavaria butcher in sosua. this is rather expensive place comparing to dominican carnirecias. my FIL delivered him cows few times. the owner checks every animal and only picks up the best. he pays more than other butchers but he wants the best there is. very fussy. but as a result his meat is nice, fresh and of good quality.

Caz

May 15, 2004
Monfongo - when we went to Constanza recently, all the roadside advertising boards were for pesticides or fungicides. The fields were either being sprayed by tractor or by guys with backpacks - I would never be under the illusion that fruit and veggies were spray-free!!

Rep Dom

Bronze
Dec 27, 2011
Well I read an article recently (dont remember where exactly, maybe it was in the dr1 news) that says a survey shows that 97% of the dominican agriculture is chemical free...
It is just a survey, that is way I am also asking your own opinion...

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"DR", you have to consider the "Farmer's" Agenda!!!!!!
And even more important, the DR government's Agenda.
The DR exports millions of dollars of fruits and "Veggies" to North America, and Europe.
Can't have any pesticides, herbicides, anti biotics, or Growth Hormones in OUR Exports!
He gave the answer that he wanted them to hear, not the truth!
Years ago they did a survey of the couples in Naples Italy, if I remember.
As So Called Good Catholics, they were asked if the ever used any means of artificial birth control.
"Never" was the answer given by everyone!
Yet the water treatments plants were often forced to shut down due to condoms plugging the system!
Ask all men if they ever paid a prostitute for sex????
The # 1 response,"I don't have to pay to have sex"!!!!
It's not easy being the ONLY man in the WORLD who has to "Pay For Play"!!!!!
I have always done MORE than my part to keep 500,000 million Prostitutes gainfully employed!!!
And that's just here in the DR!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Last edited:

Rep Dom

Bronze
Dec 27, 2011
ok but that survey seems to be serious and not based on the answers of the farmers. Obviously the products have been analysed... But sh.t where is that article... Is it possible to check through the dr1 news?

May 29, 2006
Well I read an article recently (dont remember where exactly, maybe it was in the dr1 news) that says a survey shows that 97% of the dominican agriculture is chemical free...
It is just a survey, that is way I am also asking your own opinion...

That doesn't mean much if it includes sugar and coconuts..

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"Obviously the products have been analysed".
That is the real question here!
By who, and what is their agenda, or tie to the results.
If your "Laboratory" results are not the "Right Numbers", how many more jobs will you get???
What you read in the newspapers here,is what the GOV wants you to read!
You have to remember the government wanted to pass a law that all salami must contain "At Least" 6% protein!!!!
The "Back Story" here is more likely to be the "Real Story"!
"Likely"???????
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
Peter, I'm a simple man, can you elaborate for me???

Rep Dom

Bronze
Dec 27, 2011
Here is the article

Pesticide-free fruits and vegetables
A recent study financed by the United States Department of Agriculture says that 97% of Dominican fruits and vegetables are pesticide free. The research was conducted by the Ministry of Agriculture's Food Safety Department in coordination with the Ministry of Economy. Salad tomatoes were the top scorers, with 100% of the samples found to be pesticide-free. Cabbage from Constanza showed a 93% of absence of pesticides. Overall, produce from the Valley of Ocoa received the best ratings. Some 1,188 samples were tested.

www.7dias.com.do/index.php/noticias...l_pais_esta_libre_de_plaguicidas_dice_estudio

Last edited:

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"Financed BY the USA", all samples collected, and testing done by "Dominicans",....FOR DOMINICANS!!!!!!!
I DO get pesticide, herbicide FREE sugar cane!!!
I go outside into my yard and cut it myself!!!
Did a hole, cut a cane into 6 inch pieces containing a growth ring, bury, water, if needed, Patience, Harvest!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC