Need Help with Sosua Hotels

HarryLB13

Feb 21, 2012
Good morning guys. I am planing to send 30 days in Sosua start around December 11. During that time,
I will explore the area as a place to spend a year or so as a retiree.

This is my first trip to Sosua. The hotel must be chica friendly. It also should be central located or walking
distance to the Sosua beach and restaurants.

Guys I would appreciate any and all comments on the following hotels:

1. Rocky's Rock & Blues Bar and Hotels (interested in one of his condos)
2. Hotel Casa Cayena
3. Villa Chessa Hotel
4. Las Canas
5. Topacio Azul Resort

Thanks
Harry

cjewell

Bronze
Oct 11, 2004
Ok I have some tips. Many years ago I lived in Sosua and recently started spending time there again.

Don't waste your time in hotels - they can be expensive and most are crap. I am now going back to what I used to do which is rent condos from ex-pats.

HomeAway has a ton of really nice condos listed there. I use a real-estate agent Thomas Zins who I initially found on HomeAway for a condo in Jan but he also hooked me up for a really nice one this month.

When I book a condo I like to make sure 24 hour power, AC, Wifi (at no extra charge), security (watchy), close to the action but far enough away not to be up all night with noise. Somewhere walking distance from Perdo Clisante and the beach is good.

Up on the highway there is a Playero which is like a major north American grocery store. Get a condo with a kitchen so you can cook and save $$ on food. You can also get a cheap phone there for like $25 and even a internet stick if you like to be online on the go.

If you like to drink wine - bring some with you - Pinot Grigio is bloody expensive in DR.

Some things to note:
- Thomas Zins (works for ReMax Coral Bay Real-estate) 1-809-399-2805 Dominican Republic villa and condo rentals
- Also check HomeAway Vacation Rentals: Beach Houses, Condos, Cabins, Villas & Vacation Rental Homes - just type in Sosua and your requirements

Also I have been using this site for years and there are tons of great people on here who will be quick to help you with many questions =)

May 29, 2006
I'd pick the Condo over the hotels and then have breakfast at Rocky's most days. It's a bit out of town, so you'll prob want to take a moto to and from there, esp at night. I like the bungalows at Rocky's myself which are right in the middle of town.

I hear good things about Perla de Sosua, which is closer to the center of town and the beach.

Perla De Sosua

I think you can use the safe at Rocky's Bar if you are using a condo which would be handy. I got one of these a few months back and it's great for traveling. $20 at Tractor Supply and it has a security cable to connect it to a fixed object. Weighs under 2 pounds and will prevent casual theft.

Stack-On Portable Security Case with Lock - Tractor Supply Co.

drescape24

Bronze
Nov 2, 2011
Condos are by far the way to go. Your getting a late start looking for a good condo. Most are booked by now. I am talking from experience, because I rent my out. Good luck and contact the name already mentioned he has a lot of condos he manages. Good luck. Oh just make sure the complex is chica friendly.

drescape24

HarryLB13

Feb 21, 2012
Thanks everyone for the info. I am going to start making calls. And, I agree it is a bit late but I hope that I can still find a
nice condo that is clean, safe and as centrally located as possible.
Harry

Salsafan

Bronze
Aug 17, 2011
Hiers the Info of the Perla:
Is a 41 sq mtr apartment (Over 440 sq ft) three short steps up apartment. Has one just under 200 sq ft separate bedroom with full size bed, air conditioning and separate combination living and kitchen area of just under 200 sq ft. Bathroom with shower, fully equipped kitchen area with refrigerator and stove. Cable TV and ceiling fans and one of the few apartments at Perla that has front and back doors, giving you easy access to the gated entry and also the pool. FREE internet access, FREE calls to the USA and Canada

cjewell

Bronze
Oct 11, 2004
Thanks everyone for the info. I am going to start making calls. And, I agree it is a bit late but I hope that I can still find a
nice condo that is clean, safe and as centrally located as possible.
Harry

Don't worry - you will find something. I just booked about a week and a half ago and Thomas found me two excellent condos for both trips and there are both very affordable - you will have no problem.

May 29, 2006
Perla at $750/month is better than what I paid for at The Palms ten years ago~ a very good deal, esp in high season.