Portable Inverter

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
Has anyone seen a portable power inverter for sale in DR. Something that's intended for 12v in and out...along these lines:

Amazon.com: Duracell DRPP600 Powerpack 600 Jump Starter and Emergency Power Source: Automotive

I've seen the smaller ones that are really designed to jump-start a car, but I'm looking for something that will stay in the house and can power a fan and a few lights over night and recharge a cellphone and laptop when the power's out.

I was also thinking of using a Battery Tender attached to a car (or inverter) battery, attached to a stand-alone inverter like this:

Amazon.com: BESTEK 1000w 12v to 110v inverter power supply 12v battery backup power charger inverter power solor charger battery boat power motor marine inverter power ac supply emergency power pack outdoor unit power source emergency charger power h

I'm looking for a relatively inexpensive solution for people who can't afford a regular inline Inverter set-up.

Any thoughts?

sayanora

Silver
Feb 22, 2012
Has anyone seen a portable power inverter for sale in DR. Something that's intended for 12v in and out...along these lines:

Amazon.com: Duracell DRPP600 Powerpack 600 Jump Starter and Emergency Power Source: Automotive

I've seen the smaller ones that are really designed to jump-start a car, but I'm looking for something that will stay in the house and can power a fan and a few lights over night and recharge a cellphone and laptop when the power's out.

I was also thinking of using a Battery Tender attached to a car (or inverter) battery, attached to a stand-alone inverter like this:

Amazon.com: BESTEK 1000w 12v to 110v inverter power supply 12v battery backup power charger inverter power solor charger battery boat power motor marine inverter power ac supply emergency power pack outdoor unit power source emergency charger power h

I'm looking for a relatively inexpensive solution for people who can't afford a regular inline Inverter set-up.

Any thoughts?

pricesmart has very something very similar... but it's mostly the car jump starter version.. It's not really a good option for laptop/fans/light etc since it only has an outlet or two and VERY little power. The price is like 7000 and for that price you can get a tiny inverter with 1 battery. They are hard to find but at some of the smaller ferreterias I saw the 1 battery setup, very cheap.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"DerFish", "Yeah!, and that "GUY" is now dead!
Radiation, explosion,"Tin Foil Hat" poisoning, too much "Sea Weed"???????
BUT, he was "OURS", and we miss him!
He really is in "Outer Space" now!!!!!!!!!!!
:alien::alien::alien::alien::alien::alien::alien::alien:
I just wonder who he calls himself now????
New IPS address for sure!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
........I'm looking for a relatively inexpensive solution for people who can't afford a regular inline Inverter set-up.

Any thoughts?

What about a UPS? I have two smaller size units which work quite well. One unit I have my TV, modem, router connected to and when the power goes out everything continues to work. All depending on what you connect to the UPS will determine how long you will have stand-by power. Quite naturally the larger the unit you buy the longer you will have emergency power.

Amazon.com: CyberPower CP1500AVRLCD Intelligent LCD UPS 1500VA 900W AVR Mini-Tower: Computers & Accessories

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
That's an option, but as far as I know, either due to the size of the batteries or the configuration, UPS's don't run very long, even with smaller items attached to them.

drSix

Silver
Oct 13, 2013
What you need is a regular 12 volt car battery, a small solar panel meant for charging batteries, and a 400W inverter(The type you use in your car). May not run a fan, or if it did it wouldn't for long, but it would easily charge your laptop and phone and run a few lights. Inverter and solar panel on Amazon for $150, buy a battery at a hardware store for $100.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
That's an option, but as far as I know, either due to the size of the batteries or the configuration, UPS's don't run very long, even with smaller items attached to them.
Yes, you are correct to a certain extent. The more you spend the longer you will have stand-by power. You really won't get much by just spending a few hundred dollars. My guess you would probably have to spend in the $1000 or more range to achieve what you are looking for.

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
Yes, you are correct to a certain extent. The more you spend the longer you will have stand-by power. You really won't get much by just spending a few hundred dollars. My guess you would probably have to spend in the $1000 or more range to achieve what you are looking for.

I'm thinking more like $200:

Deep Cycle 12v battery +/- $100
1000 watt Inverter +/- $70
Battery Tender +/- $30

The battery I would obviously get here, I'm hoping to find the inverter and possibly the Battery Tender here as well, but they can be shipped from the US reasonably inexpensively. But ideally I'd rather find a self-contained unit, similar in design to a UPS or the first item in my OP.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Just keep in mind the single 12v car battery still will not power much and won't last long either. Once the battery drains no more power. Main reason I mentioned the UPS was it was in the price range of the item you first mentioned. The UPS would keep a small lamp lit, run a small table top fan for a few hours but not much more. There is no way you will achieve stand-by power to run a few lights, a fan overnight, and charge your electronics for a couple hundred dollars.

Maybe those who have the full inverter set-up will chime in and give info on what they can power and for how long.

Battery Tender +/- $30

The battery I would obviously get here, I'm hoping to find the inverter and possibly the Battery Tender here as well, but they can be shipped from the US reasonably inexpensively. But ideally I'd rather find a self-contained unit, similar in design to a UPS or the first item in my OP.

drSix

Silver
Oct 13, 2013
My house came with an inverter and four batteries. It actually works pretty well. We loose power for about 8 hours a day, every day. During that eight hours it will run two fans, a hand full of lights, the water pump, and the TV/ computers. We typically don't know that we have lost power, unless you hear the inverter kick in. Batteries are $100 a piece. I am not sure how much the inverter is, but they have them at La Sirena

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
Well...I have a four battery inverter and I can run my fridge, all appliances, TV, lights, fans, computer, etc. for at least a day. I would think 1 battery could power a fraction of that output for a night.

drSix

Silver
Oct 13, 2013
Well...I have a four battery inverter and I can run my fridge, all appliances, TV, lights, fans, computer, etc. for at least a day. I would think 1 battery could power a fraction of that output for a night.

All except the fans he was talking about, maybe. I am limited knowledge about electricity, and I think the fans would be a problem because of the increased amperage required to start and run the motors.

I haven't been able to keep the fridge plugged in, the drains the batteries too quickly. My landlord just replaced the old batteries with new ones, so I am hoping it will work now.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005

Battery Tender +/- $30

OK, now once you purchase all the parts what do you do with them? How do you connect them to your house wiring?

I was not aware you currently have a 4 battery inverter system in place so are you now thinking of a secondary back-up system?

drSix

Silver
Oct 13, 2013
Add up the watts of all the things you want to run and divide it by the volts the inverter will put out (110 AC)

i.e. Ten 40 watt light bulbs would be 400 watts, 400/110= 3.6. 3.6 is the amps. Batteries have amp hour ratings on them (Ah). If you have a 40Ah battery, then is would run those ten lightbulbs for 11 hours, 40/3.6. These calculation come from google, and my attempt a couple weeks ago to figure out how to run an AC pool salt chlorinator with a solar panel. I could be way wrong!

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
OK, now once you purchase all the parts what do you do with them? How do you connect them to your house wiring?

I was not aware you currently have a 4 battery inverter system in place so are you now thinking of a secondary back-up system?

As I said originally I'm looking for something that's portable, not something to hook into the house wiring...it's not for myself, I'm looking into it as a solution for situations when a standard inverter is not practical (or affordable).

Being able to run a floor fan and have some light at night and cellphone/laptop charging can make a huge difference, especially if there are kids in the home.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Got-cha, than definitely look into a UPS. Buy the largest size depending on how much you want to spend. Just keep it plugged in at your house and when needed pick it up and take it wherever it is needed. If necessary bring it back to your house the next day and charge it back up. If you check a computer store in your area they should be able to tell you what is available. To compliment the UPS buy a small table top lamp and a small table top fan. Like you say, it sure beats a blank.

The inverter, car battery, trickle charger is going to be a disaster. You would still need to provide electrical outlets, etc.

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
I appreciate your recommendations, but the Inverter, car battery and trickle charger do the same thing a ups does, just with larger capacity...the inverter has several 110v outlets, some even have usb charging ports built in. The only difference may be switch-over time, which isn't a concern for this application. It will stay in the place it's being used and charge while the electricity is on, and be available to run the basics when the electricity is off.

I'm still interested to see if good, reasonably priced inverters and trickle chargers are available locally, and if there is an all-in-one unit available that's made for this purpose, as opposed to a UPS, which is optimized to run a computer or other electronics for a short time when the power goes out.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
The "Inverter Unit" aize/capacity,does NOT dictate how "LONG" you will be able to run any electric device.
The size, and number, of Batteries hocked up to your "Invetor DO, however they in no way indicate the number of devices you can run.
Inverter size/capacity = how many devices you can run at the same time, the Batteries = for how long!
That said, here is the "Traditional Dominican Way".
Buy the biggest invertor you can afford for the # of things you want to connect at the same time.
Buy as many Batteries as you can afford,to have power for the longest time you need.
Icing on the Cake, but a generator,"Planta", that will run your house when the street power is "Lost" for a longer period of time than your Inveter/battery system can give you power.
With your "Planta",you will have power, AND be able to recharge your batteries at the same time, when your batteries are charged by you "Planta",turn off your "Planta", use your inverter/ battery system until it is depleted, then "REPEAT"!
You will need a really Great electrician, with DR1 References preferably, or you may end up with an electrical disaster,in your house.
A good electrician will hook up ONLY the electrical devices YOU WANT to be on your emergency power system.
All other circuits are connected in a separate circuit.
He will use a big "Breaker Box", to keep each circuit unique.
I have had the same graduate, at least he has the univ. ring, electrical engineer for 15 years!
He installed my "Trace", 3.6 K inveter in the first haose I rented here for 1 year, than moved it to my present home.
The inverter has stopped working 2 times in 15 years, both times he changed a "Board" for a few thousand pesos and I was back in business.
A Bad Electrician, can "F@#K Up" an expensive, great system!
Dominicans say,
"Lo Barato,Sale Caro"!!!!!
"Cheap", is EXPENSIVE!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC