27 falls?

bodegas

Nov 10, 2013
We'll be visiting Cabarete soon and interested in the 27 falls (or several of them at least). However, we're not crazy or interested in injury. This thread scared me a bit... So I was wondering:

- Have the safety concerns been addressed (I don't know specifically what the concerns are, but it seems like it has something to do with visiting after heavy rain and flash floods or currents)?
- Is there a way to do the trip in a toned-down way (like walk down the big ones instead of jumping down every one)?

We're healthy/active and spend a lot of time outside in the mountains - fitness is probably not an issue, but we certainly don't make a habit of jumping off rocks... We're in our late 30's: young enough to do some adventure, but old enough to feel it when something gets banged up.

Although I'm sure there are a number of professional guides, we'd probably go with Iguana Mama if it matters.

Thank you!

cjewell

Bronze
Oct 11, 2004
Ok I was about to go to Luperon/La Isabella which is about 1 hour past POP the opposite direction to Sosua and believe that 27 charcos is over there. Here is the website about it http://www.27charcos.com/index.php. I think other then the beach, bars and water sports the only other thing over by Cabarete is the scenic caves. I went there once and they have fresh clear hot springs in the caves, far below the ground. If you do find waterfalls over there please let me know. I am spending time in Sosua and love to visit waterfalls =)

27 falls was the best excursion i have ever been on!
Yes there have been some horrific accidents but i believe only a few out of hundreds of thousands of tourists going to them.
If at any time y
ou feel scared you can just watch or take an easy way out.
The guides were so helpful getting my fat ass up some of the falls.
My overweight out of shape sister in law did it with her big husband, 10 year old daughter and 15 year old son.
I am a good swimmer and not to fond of heights but LOVED it!! It is absolutely beautiful and exciting!!!
I will go again.

I would not advise going after a huge rainfall!
They provide hardhats and life jackets and i think water shoes but they kind of suck so i would suggest bringing good ones!

I also wish i brought my water proof camera, the views are AMAZING!!!
If you are scared easily, can't swim and in poor shape you could still do it but maybe it isn't for you!

I Can't say enough great things about this excursion!

RIP to the people who died at this excursion, I in no means want to make light of their tragedy :-(

arrugala

Bronze
Nov 7, 2010
Also,take a day trip on a Catamaran ( big one ) that leaves fro playa Dorada area and heads close to Sosua for agood time , includes drinks food and if u get a good group its a great day in the Caribbean !! Around 50 to 60 us ....worth it!!!

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
There was one jump (of the twelve falls I did) that I was not so sure about before and after less, for the rest there is no danger.

uncle larry

Sep 3, 2013
If you are not physically fit, can not swim or fear heights, you should not do this tour. Otherwise, it is a blast! Some of the canyoning tours that Iguana Mama offers are also fun, but more dangerous

uncle larry

Sep 3, 2013
I did Rappellers delight through Iguana Mama. It was awesome except I sprained my ring finger after slipping during one rappel. The jumps are much higher and somewhat treacherous after rains because they are slippery. The hike out of the valley is tough and good fitness is a must!

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i did the waterfalls twice and it was a great adventure. i am not a good swimmer and average in size so i kinda struggled to move forward. but the guides and single males helped me a lot. ;)
if it rains within the last five days before your planned excursion do not do it, the water will be too high, too fast and too cold for you to really enjoy it.