Need help to protect my computer setup

jeanchris

Bronze
Feb 27, 2012
Ok so basicly i have a huge PC tower, connected with two 30" screen. Its delicate equipment that i use for work, and unfortunately with the electricity in DR im getting scare my computer pays the price.

My house is running on 4 battery, more then enough since i almost never miss luz here.

The problem is, around 1/4 of the time the electricity go, everything will shutdown and it will take like 1-2 second to my inversor to start. An electrician told me it was due to too many thing running at the same time pulling the juice (aire, pc etc...) not sure if true, but seems logical since its true i have a lot of things connected.

Unfortunately UPS doesnt work with inversor, i tryed it and when the inversor kick in this auto burn the UPS.

Anyone have any idea how i could protect my computer? Something like an ups that could work with an inversor?

I know the easy answer is buying a planta, but im looking for other solution!

skynet

Bronze
Aug 25, 2013
What?? Somebody is doing some drugs..First, you should be fine with a UPS, its only used to provide power to your computer so you can save work and shut it down,,usually 15-20 minutes, thats all its used for, so being hooked up to your invertor would not be an issue...Invertor does charge the UPS yes?? As for protecting your computer, I always advise to use one and only source being FORZA: FVR-1211B Forza UPS United States

All its info is the abovelink, this is a photo: Google Image Result for http://store.techshopja.com/product_images/a/forza_fvr_1211b__99544.jpg

This is what I decided on after losing my first TV to a surge..They sell them in La Serina, found mine in SD upstairs...I also used power strips that claimed it was a protector etc only to burn them as well..I mean come on!! what crap! I had so many outlets on the strip that was melted or started to melt..Now, for sure, using these inverters are NOT good for electrical equipment, usually will damage power supplies and damage capacitors which I had to change in my computer 3 times so far in 8 Years..Not bad, but just letting you know..

Also, there are resistors in UPS, that there is usually the issue should it not work (charge) via an inverter. Matter of fact, I had to pull the timer resistor in my heating pad used for my birds being it would not work after I lost power..So, I removed said resistor, works fine..That said, who hooked up your Invertor? Does not make sense if you lose all power...Can't be!! Why? because your getting your power right now via your invertor.reason why the companies tell you, do not run anything heavy in your traffice areas other then the kitchen..Meaning, you can no longer use an A/C unit in your living room without first placing your knife switch down so your on pure electric...So, something is a miss there I feel only because I find it hard to believe that you have too much on load that you lose power for a few seconds etc...If that were true, you would have no power at all when your electric goes, batteries would not be charged enough, make sense?

I am leaning to a damaged Inverter...If new, you usually get a 1 Year warranty on it, have a tech do a house call and test it..In most cases the fuseable link goes on them, a simple repair, but you would be down right now if that was the case. Maybe you used something you shouldn't have, weaken it or partially burned the in/out-puts..Get it checked and tested...Again, have the company you used do a house call so they can also test the batteries..Make sure your batteries are full before they come or its your fault, know what I mean,...Use battery acid mixture, found in most stores so you don't weaken any of the batteries using water or distilled battery water..Full? just be sure the fluid is over the plates, or just a 1/4 inch or so below cap level..I always use the thunder mix, its for dead batteries, comes in a few different sizes..You can mix with water or use straight which I do, why weaken a good thing..

Hope this helps some..

Anthony

Ok so basicly i have a huge PC tower, connected with two 30" screen. Its delicate equipment that i use for work, and unfortunately with the electricity in DR im getting scare my computer pays the price.

My house is running on 4 battery, more then enough since i almost never miss luz here.

The problem is, around 1/4 of the time the electricity go, everything will shutdown and it will take like 1-2 second to my inversor to start. An electrician told me it was due to too many thing running at the same time pulling the juice (aire, pc etc...) not sure if true, but seems logical since its true i have a lot of things connected.

Unfortunately UPS doesnt work with inversor, i tryed it and when the inversor kick in this auto burn the UPS.

Anyone have any idea how i could protect my computer? Something like an ups that could work with an inversor?

I know the easy answer is buying a planta, but im looking for other solution!

Last edited:

D.Rep

Jan 6, 2011
You should first check your installation. If all is correct then the inverser should jump in in ms. if installation is fine change your inversor for an inverser with UPS function. I would guess that your inversor is simply to slow to Change the power source and that is the source of your problem.

Lothario666

Bronze
Oct 16, 2012
Take your Air Conditional off the Inverter !!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Inverter is evidently too small wattage wise.
The Air Conditional has a heavy draw of current on start-up.
(Switching over point when the electric goes off)

Also four batteries with that kind of load is too little (Time wise).

Last edited:

spartanx15

Jan 26, 2007
And does you inversor put out modified sine wave or a pure sine wav ? Computer systems require a purse sine wave output. If the no pure sine wave then you will brunup the computer motherboard and the power supplies. APC UPS will handle whatyou wish and you canprogram them to stop going on and off with a modified sine wave inversor.

jeanchris

Bronze
Feb 27, 2012
Take your Air Conditional off the Inverter !!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Inverter is evidently too small wattage wise.
The Air Conditional has a heavy draw of current on start-up.
(Switching over point when the electric goes off)

Also four batteries with that kind of load is too little (Time wise).

No AC is running on the inverter

4 batteries is way enough. I miss electricity 5-10hrs a week max.

jeanchris

Bronze
Feb 27, 2012
And does you inversor put out modified sine wave or a pure sine wav ? Computer systems require a purse sine wave output. If the no pure sine wave then you will brunup the computer motherboard and the power supplies. APC UPS will handle whatyou wish and you canprogram them to stop going on and off with a modified sine wave inversor.

Hi, thanks for the answer but i have no idea whats pure sine wav

My inversor is an bracon dxp 2.0 , model # hbx-2024

I know verry little about those things...

jeanchris

Bronze
Feb 27, 2012
You should first check your installation. If all is correct then the inverser should jump in in ms. if installation is fine change your inversor for an inverser with UPS function. I would guess that your inversor is simply to slow to Change the power source and that is the source of your problem.

Yes i think you are right. Inversor seems slow, any idea what kind of model i can get that is 100% workin with ups? I dont trust going to any place asking and the guy tell me, si si pana, funciona, no te preocupe... And when i get home this ****s burn me a 3rd UPS.

jeanchris

Bronze
Feb 27, 2012
Oh, and to answer you skynet, yes inverter is used, its from the owner of the house, not sure of the condition but i dont mind buying another one if it's gonna with with a new UPS.

My 2 ups that i have the battery part got burn with those inverters, you can smell it and see some smoke when the inverter kicks in for the first time. Now my two ups are useless, only works for the power part, all the outlets for the battery are useless :(

Olly

Bronze
Mar 12, 2007
Jeanchris,

There are three problem here :

1) the invertor is not fast enough at change over.
2) the UPS are not compatible with the invertor output
3) you may be getting spikes/surges from the incoming supply.

1) most invertors here are not fast enough with a change over at about 20 to 30 milliseconds. Not much you can do about it!
2) APC UPS dont like stepped square wave and only tend to run on SineWave invertors which are expensive. I use Omega UPS DR series which are made for here. These handle typical invertor outputs and switch over fast enough so the computer and screens dont blink. You probably need 1000 watt versions and two - one for the computor and on for the screens.
3) Spiks and Surges are really bad here. We have three stages of spike surge suppression using GE whole house surge protectors as well as wall socket ones

Hope that Helps

Olly and the Team

canadandy

Apr 17, 2008
Oh, and to answer you skynet, yes inverter is used, its from the owner of the house, not sure of the condition but i dont mind buying another one if it's gonna with with a new UPS.

My 2 ups that i have the battery part got burn with those inverters, you can smell it and see some smoke when the inverter kicks in for the first time. Now my two ups are useless, only works for the power part, all the outlets for the battery are useless :(

To know if it is sine wave or not a simple test is listening to a fan that is connected, if it is noisy on inverter then it is not sine wave.

I know some people do, but using a ups with an inverter is really not required. An invertor and a ups are the same in the sense that they are both battery back-up systems. If you have a good inverter that is working properly, you do not need ups. If your inverter has a delay that causing your computer to shut down, it has a problem, or is of poor quality.

In Santiago at a store called "Laro" which is located behind cecomsa on road to Gurabo, sells computers and inverters and will comfirm all that I have stated. They repair their inverters on site. I have needed a repair in 2011 on my inverter during 5 years of use. They did an excellent job. I watched perform all the tests after repair and has been working perfectly since. The power here used to go out every day multiple times and voltage would go as high as 140 volts ac. the inverter protected everything.

jeanchris

Bronze
Feb 27, 2012
Ok yes, its making always a lot of noise so i guess its not sin wave.

I think i am gonna go buy a new inverter and buy the omega ups also , thanks all for quick answers!

Olly

Bronze
Mar 12, 2007
jeanchris,
Take a step by step approach - get one Omega 1000 W DR series for about 2500 RD$ put this on the computer and see what happens. The screens may blink but the Computer should stay on and not crash. If this works then consider buying another for the screens -

Olly and the Team

jeanchris

Bronze
Feb 27, 2012
Oh sorry i never replyed to this thread.

Im kinda lazy, but i finally got a new inverter yesterday, sin wave. Its getting install right now, just need a new UPS but should be all good :)

jeanchris

Bronze
Feb 27, 2012
damn, this didnt fix my problem yet. But I think i just need to tweek something with the inversor, let me know if any of you have an idea..

so i bought a 1.5k sin wave and a new UPS (cheap one at la sirena, they didnt had in stock at omega)

dont think this UPS is good, I only have the tower connected, and when the luz go the battery it auto shutdown... gonna return it

now the big problem is that my new inversor stiilll doesnt do the switch automaticly, everything shutdown for a second and then goes back. Even this morning when everything was off in my house except my computer it happened... before with the old inversor it was when the air conditioneer where working and it was too much.