Gel Batteries vs Trojans?

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
We seem to have nothing but trouble with our inverter batteries when we're not there. We leave water gallons right under them, but, once again, all 8 batteries were dry. "Responsible" parties pointing fingers at each other, no big surprise there. They've been cleaned and are working again, but no one in the house, so they don't have to do much.

The batteries are about 4 years old now, and this has happened before, so they're probably pretty well shot. When we go down next month, we're planning to replace them all. Mr. AE is thinking that maybe gel batteries would be better, no/less maintenance because they are sealed [??????] Inverter guy says they are more expensive, but have a 10 year warranty.

Questions: Anyone use the gel batteries? Costs? Thoughts/opinions? How good is the "warranty"?

As far as Trojans, ours are red - which are better, black or red?

Black Dog

Bronze
May 29, 2009
A friend of mine has just installed 4 gel batteries. They came from Trace in Puerto Plata, cost 14000 pesos each and have an 18 month warranty. She got gel ones for less maintenance plus they are installed inside the house.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I have 36 - installed late 2008.... never serviced them, never had a problem.

We are here off/on , 6-7 months a year.

My regular batttery for the generator needs constant topping up.

Go gel, AE.

Prices may vary... ask Windy and Ringo.

I am totally solar - generator backup.... no public power whatsoever

D.Rep

Jan 6, 2011
The problem with gel batteries is that you need a inversor, which is able to charge them correctly, as the cyycle and voltage is different from the normal ones. If you have that type of inversor, fine, but if not, you Need to replace them in one year timeframe.

karlheinz

Oct 2, 2006
Gel batteries are best

I have two type 27 AGM (absorbed glass mat) batteries in my boat back in the states - purchased them in 2007 and they are still going strong. BUT you have to be careful of how they are charged as the settings for charging AGM's is different from wet cell batteries. They cost in the range of $260 US each back then and I expect they are more expensive now but for the longevity and worry free they can't be beat - not sure of the difference between Gel and AGM's though.

Karlheinz

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Go Gel, especially in your position.
Do you leave the batteries connected,and the inverter powering the house when you are not there?
No Dominican EVER will Maintain ANYTHING, and especially if it's not theirs.
They want your batteries to burn out, so when you replace them, they will happily throw them in the garbage for you.
And collect 500, or more pesos for each of them at many "Dead Battery" Disposal places!
I have never heard "Rep Dom's" Theory before.
They are much more expensive, but so are "Headaches"!
Which you won't have if you buy them.
They are so valuable, they may have disappeared (No Fui Yo!!) when you come back!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

D.Rep

Jan 6, 2011
Criss Colon,
I think you are talking to me.
So c&c something from a good inversor manueal for you:
F10 Select Battery Type
Default: 0 (Liquid Cell)
Range: 0 = Liquid Cell; 1 = Gel Cell (standard); 2 = Gel Cell
(fast charge); 3 = AGM (Absorbed Glass Mat)
This function sets the appropriate charge and float voltages
for the Freedom charger and sets an appropriate Peukert
exponent. Gel cell owners can use Type 1 or Type 2, but
should consult the battery manufacturer before using Type 2.
Type 3 sets Acceptance and Float voltages suited to AGM
type batteries.

Now guess why you need to set up the type of batteries you want to use....

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
When I studied the issue of what batteries to use years ago, I settled on wet cell lead acid batteries like Trojan T105s for my application and still use them. I simply did not have enough data points to see how well other batteries would hold up in my situation where they are discharged and recharged twice a day. For me two years is all I can expect out of the batteries.

Double check to see how far down you will discharge the gel batteries and how they hold up with that kind of "work" being done by them.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
If anyone has information on the AH Capacity, voltage, and price of locally purchased gel and AGM batteries in the DR, please post those numbers. Last I checked Trojan T-105 225 AH 6 volt lead acid batteries were $RD 5,750 with a $RD 750 credit for used batteries at Luis Hernandez.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Go Gel, especially in your position.
Do you leave the batteries connected,and the inverter powering the house when you are not there?
No Dominican EVER will Maintain ANYTHING, and especially if it's not theirs.
They want your batteries to burn out, so when you replace them, they will happily throw them in the garbage for you.
And collect 500, or more pesos for each of them at many "Dead Battery" Disposal places!
I have never heard "Rep Dom's" Theory before.
They are much more expensive, but so are "Headaches"!
Which you won't have if you buy them.
They are so valuable, they may have disappeared (No Fui Yo!!) when you come back!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Cris, we don't disconnect anything when we leave, because a cousin spends most weekends there, and the caretaker needs the electricity to do work.

Yesterday Mr. AE talked to an electrical engineer in SD for some time, and he said he doesn't recommend gel batteries for us because we often have voltage issues - apparently it can fry the gel batteries and that's not covered by warranty. At over 14,000 pesos each, we can't take that chance. He also said the inverters need to be calibrated very carefully, and ours might not be, and that can cause the water to disappear fast.

Now Mr. AE is thinking Trojan T105's.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I agree on the decision on Trojan T105's (the red ones) unless we see a substantial number of users in the DR getting 10 years out of gel batteries.

(The Trojan Black batteries are lower in capacity, by the way).