cell phone

Jerry K

Jan 1, 2002
Heading to the north coast and plan to bring a used cell phone to use while I'm there. What would be a go brand to pick up with camera and internet that I can use with a DR provider be in Claro, Orange, etc?
Thanks

Aug 6, 2006
You will find someone to sell you a chip and service for your GSM phone on the second floor of the SDQ Airport. Other places might be cheaper. Any phone that uses the ATT system (T Mobil, etc) will work. Colmados will sell you minutes.

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
Heading to the north coast and plan to bring a used cell phone to use while I'm there. What would be a go brand to pick up with camera and internet that I can use with a DR provider be in Claro, Orange, etc?
Thanks

Many top of the line phones these days will generally work on most of the networks but if you are going to get yesteryears phone and if you are coming from US. Sure bet is AT&T will work well on Claro and T-Mobile will work well with Orange. I have seen Verizon's Note 2 working on Claro also. So keep this in mind if you are planing to use internet on your phone here.

On a side note.
I am having windows phone sent down one for back up.
AT&T GoPhone Nokia Lumia 520 No-Contract Phone Bundle - RadioShack.com
For $80 brand new with accessories that it comes with I think it's killer deal for phone with daylight camera and internet.

Uzin

Bronze
Oct 26, 2005
If you plan to use 3G data on the phone, check what 3G frequencies the phone supports and check what the providers supply, Claro, Orange, Viva etc. may have different 3G frequencies....

For voice calls and GPRS/EDGE data all phones and providers are compatible.

Jan 9, 2004
That is a great price. Amazon is selling it for $98.82 and reviewers are raving about what a great price.

Saw it for $55 + $4 shipping after rebate. Not a fan of rebate hassles...so I let it go by. If memory serves me, that offer was from TigerDirect.

Try Best Deals Online - Daily Deals and Coupons at DealNews. They are the best consolidator of deals on the internet. Their Black Friday stuff is also extensive/comprehensive.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Aug 6, 2006
Saw it for $55 + $4 shipping after rebate. Not a fan of rebate hassles...so I let it go by. If memory serves me, that offer was from TigerDirect.

I have bought stuff with rebates from Tigerdirect. In Miami, at least, it is not a hassle. Of course, a similar deal without the rebate is better.

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
I always hated dealing with rebates ever since I started to do everything online. Jumping through the loops of making sure everything is done as the instructions stated, going to post office to buy stamps and waiting forever for the company check to come in and when check doesn't come by 6-8 weeks? It annoyed the hack outta me.
Dont get me wrong.
I love money but I paased on the Tigerdirect deals email on bare bone desktop that cost $190 with 5-6 rebates over $240 open box Dell outlet deals for less headache and easier one year warranty.

Aug 6, 2006
I always hated dealing with rebates ever since I started to do everything online. Jumping through the loops of making sure everything is done as the instructions stated, going to post office to buy stamps and waiting forever for the company check to come in and when check doesn't come by 6-8 weeks? It annoyed the hack outta me.
Dont get me wrong.
I love money but I paased on the Tigerdirect deals email on bare bone desktop that cost $190 with 5-6 rebates over $240 open box Dell outlet deals for less headache and easier one year warranty.

=======================================
It's a matter of taste and personal preference. CompUSA used to have rebates every week. I assembled a computer from their sale items and there were six or seven rebates. The checks started coming in after 5 weeks, with no indication what was the rebated item, By then, I had misplaced the register tape, but I got everything rebated within 12 weeks. I admit it is a pain. Compusa required a sales receipt, a special coupon and a proof of purchase for each item, so I had to Xerox the register tape.

The idea behind rebates is that there will be a large number of buyers who will toss the receipt, throw away the box and lose the coupon, or not have a stamp, that instead of selling a $40 item for $20, they will get $35 for it because the rebate is such a hassle.

The most annoying rebate was on motor oil, back when it came in cardboard cans. You had to cut out and send in a proof of purchase for each can. So unless you were changing your oil right away, or had somewhere to put the oil, you really could not follow the rebate. The proofs of purchase made the envelope all lumpy and greasy as well.