Was Your Credit Card Hacked At Banco Popular ATM In Sosua?

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
From today's Sosua News:

The National Police have arrested six Bulgarian who are accused of cloning credit cards widely and plundering bank accounts.

They were also active in Sos?a where they copied cards at the ATMs of Banco Popular. The Bulgarians are suspected to have stolen at least $ 200,000 from bank accounts. Two of the Bulgarians were caught in the act at Banco Popular in hotel Barcel?, in Bavaro in Punta Cana. In their apartment then the other four gang members were arrested. They were in the possession of 297 credit cards of major banks and various electronic devices serving the skim practices. In recent months, many tourists in Sos?a when using their credit card at Banco Popular were skimmed and then their bank account robbed. Hopefully with the arrest of these gang members it is safe to use the ATM at Banco Popular again

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
This is old news, you need to get a better source :)

DR1 Daily News - Wednesday, 30 October 2013

Bulgarians arrested for stealing from cash machines
The National Police have arrested six Bulgarians in the Marbel and Los Corales housing areas in Bavaro. They are suspected of being members of a gang that installed fake keyboards on cash machines.

Those arrested were named as Lliyan Lliev Valentinov, Mienko Votief Kre, Jorje Matef, Sretdzap Alexfand Por, Jorje Matef Minal Kanchev and Ivo Fljev, who, according to the Police, would use the devices to record the PINs entered into the ATM and then withdraw money themselves.

According to the Police, this gang has stolen more than US$200,000 from locals and tourists in Punta Cana, Sosua, Puerto Plata, Veron and Bavaro.

The chief of Police, Major General Manuel Castro Castillo, said that the arrests are the result of an eight-month investigation and when arrested they had in their possession 297 cards, five laptops, one CPU, 11 cell phones, 13 USB memory sticks and 59 electronic devices.

Polic?a?apresa a seis?b?lgaros acusados de robar m?s de 200 mil d?lares a trav?s de cajeros autom?ticos - listindiario.com

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
You're right, Robert. Must be my age, but I had forgotten reading that.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Even so, I don't think it hurts to repeat. My guess is there are many people who read these threads that don't read the Sosua News every day.

I hope you're joking and not really wanting to take society back to the middle ages!

No i am not joking. The way the world are turning into, i believe this would be very efficient methods to get rid of east european gangs. (and other gangs)
I understand you prefer holding hands with these thiefs and sing "Cumba-yah-my-lord".
I am certain you would change your mind if it was your money that were stolen.....

And remember these critters does not only stick to steal money, they most likely survive supplying drugs to our children.

FritoBandito

Bronze
Dec 19, 2009
Until you lose a bunch of money that the bank says they won't repay.....you may rethink this attitude......just sayin

That's probably one difference between DR banks and US banks.

I got my card hacked in Miami....the only place I used it was to pay for my hotel room. Came to find out later somebody spent $800+ on computer games and charged it to my account. Hotel swore up and down that they had security measures in place against card number theft, but I KNOW it was the hotel to blame because it was the only time I used my card on vacation.

To make a long story short, my bank took the loss and it didn't cost me a penny.

If the same thing happened in the DR, and the card was with a DR bank, you're probably s**t out of luck!!!!!!!!!

Smart

Bronze
Jun 16, 2012
I hope you're joking and not really wanting to take society back to the middle ages!

What do you mean 'blackout the middle ages', a few flashy malls and a couple of half arsed sky scrapers doesn't mean this country has moved on, ever seen a Dominican jail? Gladiatorial springs to mind. If these guys are going to commit crime in such a ruthless country then they should expect ruthless sentences.
Serve time here and then send them back to do time in Sofia, and cut their hands off and micro chip them so they can never leave Bulgaria again at least.

But silly thoughts won't change the circus that always surrounds these things, a bit cash and off they will be.

Smart

Bronze
Jun 16, 2012
That's probably one difference between DR banks and US banks.

I got my card hacked in Miami....the only place I used it was to pay for my hotel room. Came to find out later somebody spent $800+ on computer games and charged it to my account. Hotel swore up and down that they had security measures in place against card number theft, but I KNOW it was the hotel to blame because it was the only time I used my card on vacation.

To make a long story short, my bank took the loss and it didn't cost me a penny.

If the same thing happened in the DR, and the card was with a DR bank, you're probably s**t out of luck!!!!!!!!!

I took too long to take my money from the machine at banco popular, it drew the cash back in. I went inside to explain what had happened. They said they needed to wait and see if the figures match up and are over DR5000. I waited a month and got an email telling me their books made up well and there was no excess on that day.

So I guess someone else got paid too much by RD5000 then? Right!

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
The same thing happened to me But I was told to contact my card company and report it. I did and they checked with the bank. I received a credit for the full amount a week or two later.

I had to send them the receipt for the transaction also.