Garbage and Recycling

drSix

Silver
Oct 13, 2013
I am renting a house and land in the country, North of Puerto Plata. Currently, all of our garbage gets burned in the little hole on the land. There is also a spot where the garbage is just thrown over the side of a hill. This is the status quo set forth by the previous tenant, our landlord.

I would like to clean the place us and stop burning everything. I don't mind burning some of the paper materials, but the plastics and foam ect. just stink up the place and there is still garbage on the ground. We are too far out in the sticks for any type of garbage service.

I have driven by the big dump by Maimon several times. Can I just drive in there, and dump my garbage?

Are there any places in Puerto Plata that take recyclables? There is a huge pile of used presidente and rum bottles I need to get rid of.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
There are people who will come in a truck and collect Presidente, Bohemia and Brahma bottles - maybe rum too. I don't know who does it in your area, you'll have to ask around.

Just splitting hairs - isn't north of Puerto Plata in the sea? ;)

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
U can sell glass bottles ( brugal and presidente ) to botellero, pickups that buy bottles and iron and stuff. If they dont come around ure place ( u hear them they play a tune on car radio ), next time ure out and about stop one on the road and explain where u live. If uve got loads of stuff for him, he will come round and pay u for it ( negociate prices ). Other option for bottles ( plastic and glass ) is to sell them to colmados, who will than use them to sell gaz, tine, oil.....
I sell the glass bottles, but I give away plastic ones and oil type containers to a guy who collects them to sell them for treatement for aids.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
all bottles are received for botelleros, they have more uses than you can imagine, especially rum bottles because they have caps that can be closed again. personally i do not see much point in selling bottles yourself, each will give you maybe 1 peso (average). it is always better to have someone else pick them up from you, there are many folks who live off that. i suggest you look around in the closest barrio and if you seen folks with wheel barrels or small carts/bags filled with bottles then ask them to pass by your place. apart from glass bottles you can also include jars (glass and plastic) and plastic bottles (especially one gallon).

alternatively pack them up in rice sacks or carton boxes and leave on the side of the street in the nearest barrio. guaranteed to disappear in minutes.

getting rid of other garbage is not that easy. you cannot enter the landfill just like that. maybe you will be allowed to leave your few bags of household trash but do not make it a habit. you could bring your trash AND all the bottles, that could cut it with the workers...

May 29, 2006
If you burn, you will get much less smoke if you can get a 55 gallon drum with both ends cut off as a burn barrel. Put it up on a couple of bricks and you will get a good chimney effect. The fire is hotter and takes less than half the time to cook down to ash.

drSix

Silver
Oct 13, 2013
Yea, I might try a barrel. Its going to be a big job to get the years of garbage cleaned up, and to change the staffs ways of garbage disposal

May 29, 2006
Once you get a burn barrel going you can have it go for days. Much neater than having a sloppy smoldering burn pile. You can help keep it contained by digging a shallow pit to put it into. You can convert it into making charcoal afterwards if you have a lot of extra wood around. I think we used a piece of culvert for our last burn tube. You may have some trouble if ants are involved...

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Once you get a burn barrel going you can have it go for days. Much neater than having a sloppy smoldering burn pile. You can help keep it contained by digging a shallow pit to put it into. You can convert it into making charcoal afterwards if you have a lot of extra wood around. I think we used a piece of culvert for our last burn tube. You may have some trouble if ants are involved...

Oh love that burning smell of plastic and styrofoam in the morning!

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
Yea, I might try a barrel. Its going to be a big job to get the years of garbage cleaned up, and to change the staffs ways of garbage disposal

It would be easier to change the staff than try to have them change their ways.