What does legalizar a birth certificate mean?

NV_

Bronze
Aug 4, 2003
Ive got my sons birth certificate and was checking things off my list for my appointment at the consulate but I noticed it says the birthcertificate should be legalized and in long form. Could someone please tell me what that means and where i would have to go to legalize the birth certificate in S.D.?

oldschool

Oct 9, 2004
Ive got my sons birth certificate and was checking things off my list for my appointment at the consulate but I noticed it says the birthcertificate should be legalized and in long form. Could someone please tell me what that means and where i would have to go to legalize the birth certificate in S.D.?

The long form birth certificate you need is called an acta de nacimiento en extensa you get this where you register your child's birth it's around 500 pesos you then have to get it legalized from the legalized section of the same building ( usually ) in SD if not ask where to do this it costs around 300 pesos it's a sticker they put on the back of the certificate

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
What it means is that the appropriate authority identifies (legalizes) the signature on your document. A foreign document has to be legalized by foreign affairs in your country (legalizing the signature of the official that issued the document), the Dominican consulate then legalizes the signature of the official of foreign affairs and in DR foreign affairs legalizes the signature of the consul in your country.