Public Beach

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
Is there a halfway decent public beach in Sosua, POP, or Cabarete where a family can go just for the day and hang out? My brother is coming to visit but will only be a few days an didn't want to spend it all in a resort.

SHALENA

JessicaRabbit

Sep 21, 2009
Yes there is. Its in Sosua where Waterfront restaurant and park mirador is located. It is small clean beach without sales people harassing.

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
Thanks. And the restaurant is named "Waterfront Restaurant"? Or does it go by a local name also?

SHALENA

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i would not try POP itself, the beach there stinks, literally and figuratively. costambar beach is nice, go towards west end for more peace and visit catamaran bar for food and drinks.
i am not fond of the main sosua beach and do not know more about other options.
cabarete beach is nice and relaxing, with plenty of food options but it is not a swimming friendly place, i think.

May 29, 2006
Playa Alicia is indicated on the map here. Just go up from Rocky's on DR Rosen, past the radio tower and down the hill and The Waterfront will be on your right. There is drop off to the beach. The beach emerged about ten years ago after a minor earthquake which is why it isn't over developed.

https://scontent-b-lga.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/1453377_10202150322857059_462361940_n.jpg

1453377_10202150322857059_462361940_n.jpg

May 29, 2006
As for Playa Sosua, the thing to do is walk to the far end closer to Los Charimicos. I used to hang out at some tiny places and one was called the Pink Panther or next to it. There is a second public toilet up that way too. Not sure if my info is up to date. Most of the aggressive sellers are on the El Batey side of the beach.

Vinyasa

Bronze
Dec 22, 2010
www.kieranbarry.com
You could also consider Hideaway beach and Perla Marina beach.
Both small and very quiet but with some amenities if needed.
PM is about halfway between Sosua and Cab and Hideaway is just after it at the turning for Chez Arsenio

judypdr

Jul 23, 2011
Costambar
First, all beaches are public so if you see a beach, you can go there....

But I also suggest the "public" beach near Playa Dorada. It's also called "Orange" beach because there is a big Orange telephone billboard at the entrance. The entrance has a gate and usually a guard. It is next to the main entrance to Playa Dorada toward Puerto Plata. I like it because there is a good restaurant, a few shops, decent bathrooms, and is clean. You a walk a long way up and down the beach. And the water is pretty clean (no seaweed) and gets deep enough to swim with a nice sandy (not rocky) bottom. There is even a little shade!

There are also smaller, isolated beaches between Puerto Plata and Sosua where you can skinny dip!

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
if you go to sea horse ranch- just past on the way to cabarete you will see some white painted stumps- follow the path down and turn right- lovely secluded beach, if you turn left you are on sea horse ranch beach and may be shot lol (only joking)- the path way is opposite the turn to lomas mironas

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
SK,
I think HideAway is your best bet.... quiet beach, and restaurant - good one ,most days

No muss/fuss

Have fun

torrock

Jun 5, 2006
Just past Puerto Plata towards Sosua before Playa Dorada is El Pueblito. It is our favorite beach in the area. One can sit and enjoy the beach without 40 or more vendadores trying tio sell them something. A pair of restaurants to choose from, but both owned by the same French Canadian. Nice place.
Der Fish

There's also a Dominican restaurant there, Sabor Latino ... great food, Ramona and Angelo are awesome owners that really go out of their way to please you (including putting on a CD that you bring) ... last year my flight landed at 3, I didn't get to my hotel until 10 because we stopped there on the way.

Searhc for "Sabor Latino, Pueblito de Puerto Plata, Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic" in Google maps, it will show you the exact location