Dog coughing epidemy or what is it?

JessicaRabbit

Sep 21, 2009
All dogs in our neighborhood on encuentro started caughing :( one after another, choking cough, one has runny nose too. What is that? Adenovirus? Dog grippe? I took my dog to vet, he said she probably licked a poisonous frog, which is not the issue, because she would be dead by now, i shed off 3500 peso for nothing it seems... She was treated from poisoning... She still coughs and other dogs got same symptoms now.
Does anyone knows how to treat them?

skynet

Bronze
Aug 25, 2013
Kennel cough, get him looked at again! It could be tick related as well, check for Lyme...make sure its a good Vet JS..How are his gums? Color pink, hydrated? pull up his fur along the neck to the tail, see if it goes right down quickly, slow he is dehydrated..just a symptom of either above..

ANthony

All dogs in our neighborhood on encuentro started caughing :( one after another, choking cough, one has runny nose too. What is that? Adenovirus? Dog grippe? I took my dog to vet, he said she probably licked a poisonous frog, which is not the issue, because she would be dead by now, i shed off 3500 peso for nothing it seems... She was treated from poisoning... She still coughs and other dogs got same symptoms now.

skynet

Bronze
Aug 25, 2013
JS, just another thought...But I would go to another vet...You can give him some Baytril, or even Amoxicilin bid 2 times a day for 7 days, better off in a pill form, but also easy to serve as a liquid...Overall, maybe keep an eye on things and see if it passes..I can't 100% its Kennel Cough, but I know what it is, been around it many times as a Vet Tech Years ago..The thing is, if it is, it can get worse, lungs get congested, phemonia as you read, then possible death in rare cases, usually older dogs..

Jessica we had this problem when we first got here, our new chi pup that we rescued had some weird cough and throwing up. Our other Chihuahua got it too. It wasn't Kennel Cough but i think some virus going around.
Dr bob gave both of our dogs some kind of drugs and it helped.
I was actually quite worried. I wish i remembered what Dr Bob said it was but he did say it goes around areas and other dogs seem to catch it from one another.

I know it WAS NOT from licking a frog that is for sure!!!
I don't know who your vet is but DR bob cured both of our dogs from it! I thought they were on their death beds!!

skynet

Bronze
Aug 25, 2013
Most likely Clavamox...reason why I said to use Baytril or Amoxicillin..but its based on weight of the dog..what would really work great is Doxycycline, the best on the market in my view for respiratory infections, use it on my birds pretty often here...But again, bets to get a diag..if you cannot swing another vet visit, tell me how much he weighs, and I will post a few meds with weight so you can feel safe the dosage is correct..Again, va pill is the easiest, open the dogs mouth, using thumb and pointer finger, go to the back of his throat, deliver, close mouth, blow air into his nostrils, swallows, all gone..

Ant

JessicaRabbit

Sep 21, 2009
I have 3 my own dogs plus 2 neighbor dogs. Neigbors dont really care about theirs... And i dont have access to that dogs. If i treat my dogs and they get better, wont they get reinfected by not treated dogs?

So we have a 77lb Dogo
9 lb pomeranian
And 4 lb chihuahua.

Neigbor dogs are about 60lb and 11lb but not sure, just guessing.

Please write how much to give them and for how long? Today the cough worsened in pomeranian :( i just cant go back to vet, im tired of hearing word allergy from him... Like its a universal diagnose for anything my dogs have! I dont think its kennel cough, its something else.

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
Go to the FB page: Dogs and Cats of the Dominican Republic
There are some very experienced caregivers, not vets, and ask for their
advice. They take care of hundreds of dogs and cats in the area every day
and every week. They are a non-profit with dedicated volunteers.

skynet

Bronze
Aug 25, 2013
Hey Jess,

Okay, will have it posted for you soon , just got back in, need a shower and food ;) In the meantime, if you see this that is, take a good look at all of them, post any symptoms you see, be sure to check for dehydration, any vomiting, swollen eye, like us, bags under them, and/or reddish eyes, any hacking up foam, kind of looks like yellow/clear bile and how is their appetites? As for the other dogs, not that likely being your dogs will be on medication and I would keep them inside 24/7 only take them for a walk or if you allow them to go loose to do so, back in asap...But don't panic, its contagious, but usually the dog has to get pretty close to the infected one, or saliva exchange from something on the ground, poop, urine, etc, but its also airborne, but would be very difficult to reinfect your dogs again while being treated.If the coughs are so bad, its keeping any one dog or you awake, then you can use Robertusion cough medicine, which I will post that dosage as well, usually 1 teas spoon for every 25 lbs or so..You can say treat it as a flu virus...And I will suggest Doxycycline since its the best on the market, and its a broad spectrum antibiotic which means it used for many kinds of infections, especially upper respiratory infections..I will also suggest Dextramentosone, this is used as an inflammation, which is a great prevention of the dogs walls of the lungs to swell, making it hard to breath along with any esophagus pain or swellen, etc..Okay, need to get going here, will post as soon as I'm finished..

And, I think the diag is spot on, Kennel cough..If you like, pop a video via youtube, lets take a look..have a cam??

Thanks

Anthony

I have 3 my own dogs plus 2 neighbor dogs. Neigbors dont really care about theirs... And i dont have access to that dogs. If i treat my dogs and they get better, wont they get reinfected by not treated dogs?

So we have a 77lb Dogo
9 lb pomeranian
And 4 lb chihuahua.

Neigbor dogs are about 60lb and 11lb but not sure, just guessing.

Please write how much to give them and for how long? Today the cough worsened in pomeranian :( i just cant go back to vet, im tired of hearing word allergy from him... Like its a universal diagnose for anything my dogs have! I dont think its kennel cough, its something else.

skynet

Bronze
Aug 25, 2013
Hey Jess,

First, you need to call the Pharma, see what pill/tablet types they have of Doxycycline or here called, Doxycylina...you can use any type, but the best is called Doxycycline Hyclat, comes in 50MG/100MG pills which I would buy the 50MG so you can cut the pill in simple quarters if necessary using a pill cutter or razor.

Here is the dosage according to my medical book

Doses -
Dogs:
For susceptible infections:
a) 5 mg/kg PO or IV q12h; administer with food if GI upset occurs; avoid in young animals;
avoid or reduce dose in animals with severe liver disease (Vaden and Papich 1995)
b) For canine ehrlichiosis: 5 - 10 mg/kg every 12-24 hours for 2-3 months (duration of
treatment based upon preliminary data). (Greene 1995)
c) For canine ehrlichiosis: 5 mg/kg PO, IV once daily for 7 days in acute cases, and 10
mg/kg PO once daily for 7-21 days in chronic cases. (Morgan 1988)
d) For Lyme Disease: 10 mg/kg PO q24h for 21-28 days (Appel and Jacobson 1995)
e) For salmon poisoning disease: 10 mg/kg IV twice a day for at least 7 days. (Rikihisa
and Zimmerman 1995)

in English, it ranges from 2MG - 5MG Per KG Pound, but as per pound, I'm taking a lower dosage at 1CC, 1/4 teaspoon if liquid Per pound. @ BID, 2 times per day. As for Vet treatment, usually use 100MG pills, but your dogs are not big at all, reason I have suggested using 50MG which can be cut down unless the Pharma as it in liquid form..If they do, see if they have the flavored Doxy being its very bitter. However, the flavored Doxy is not, much easier to medicate with no bitterness.

Now, since I don't know what form they have, call them, advise them of the Doxy you want being Doxy Hyclat tell them the dosage as Per KG since they understand that better..You can actually have them tell you what the proper dosage is, or when you get back I will post it for you, just need to know what med they have and work with it..Overall, if they do't have that type Doxy. no big deal get any Doxy and I prefer liquid because we are dealing with weight vareance..While your there, pick up a few Syringes, no needle, or get 1 and just clean it after each use..

And as I stated before, if your dogs are coughing so much that they don't sleep much, pick up some Robitussin cough med for adults, and we will leave the Dextra off treatment for now. But pay attention to their breating over the next 2 weeks during treatment. If you see hard breathing, chest noise, etc, then its a go with the Dextra unless you want to pick that up while your there just to have it on hand.

Thats about it..me know

Anthony

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
Jessica, may I kindly suggest you load your big white baby in your car, and take a drive to Hacienda Urbana in Santiago. Gisselle is a very experienced vet, and speaks perfect English. haciendaurbana.com

Please do not start giving heavy antibiotics if you do not know what the cause is. Combine the trip to Santiago with some xmas shopping. Gisselle will be happy to look after your dog for a couple of hours.

Split the cost with the other owners of dogs who cough.

Good luck

BelgianK

PS: not blaming Skynet for trying to help, but in cases like this it is better to have a vet have a real look at the problem. Symptoms are hard to describe on the internet, and mistakes are easily made.

JessicaRabbit

Sep 21, 2009
Cant go to Santiago now. I got doxiciclina 100 mg in capsules. So how do i measure it? May be dilute all powder in some water or yoghurt? What is the ratio and how much of mixture per dog? Im really bad with math or counting, if you can figure it out for me id be so thankful! I mean i just want it put this way: for dogo this much ml of mixture, for pom this much and for chihua this much. Again they are 77lb, 9 and 4.

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
Cant go to Santiago now. I got doxiciclina 100 mg in capsules. So how do i measure it? May be dilute all powder in some water or yoghurt? What is the ratio and how much of mixture per dog? Im really bad with math or counting, if you can figure it out for me id be so thankful! I mean i just want it put this way: for dogo this much ml of mixture, for pom this much and for chihua this much. Again they are 77lb, 9 and 4.

now this is why I gave up training and breeding here :dead:

I am sorry, this is beyond me...

BelgianK