Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 168

Thread: Why stay?

  1. #1
    Regular
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    58
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Why stay?

    So, I've been thinking about asking this question for a little while now. Why do people stay in the DR? Particularly, why would/do you stay here if you're in the Santo Domingo area? Just wanted to know what keeps the expat community here.

  2. #2
    Bronze
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    633
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    It is annoying living in the city, surrounded by very annoying people, everything is a hassle, and the lifestyle takes some justifying like you say.

    But I have also lived on the Northcoast among the expats and their silly micro politics and that also takes some justifying after a while.

    Work is always a good reason to stay anywhere, and after all, who ever is in a position to just up and leave because they feel like it are retired, very young and free from responsibility, or living in a lah lay land most of us with responsibility could only dream of.

    Everywhere has it's issues, DR is nothing special, no one is a super star just because they can make a living and create some sort of lifestyle here, it's just another place to live, like anywhere in the world. There are no specifics that make life here easier or better other than money, and that goes for everywhere in the world.

    We all left somewhere to come here, so doesn't mean there was anything wrong with where we were before, for most of us this could have quite as easily been anywhere else, a lottery, all people look for is change, the world is a big place.

    I didn't move here because of any specifics the country had to offer, to the contrary I can't think of anything it has offered me I haven't had to work my arse off for or bend over backwards and pull my hair out for. Infact to go one step further, this place is hard work.

    I've got a steady job, and nice small place in a quiet safe area, a small but respectable circle of friends, a car and gas in my tank. I guess where ever I was would be pretty much the same and so there is not much reason to leave right now, and so that is enough reason for me to stay. If I need time out there is a strip of A/I over punta Cana where I can go and pretend to be anywhere else in the world.

  3. #3
    Platinum
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    33,472
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Smart View Post
    It is annoying living in the city, surrounded by very annoying people, everything is a hassle, and the lifestyle takes some justifying like you say.

    But I have also lived on the Northcoast among the expats and their silly micro politics and that also takes some justifying after a while.

    Work is always a good reason to stay anywhere, and after all, who ever is in a position to just up and leave because they feel like it are retired, very young and free from responsibility, or living in a lah lay land most of us with responsibility could only dream of.

    Everywhere has it's issues, DR is nothing special, no one is a super star just because they can make a living and create some sort of lifestyle here, it's just another place to live, like anywhere in the world. There are no specifics that make life here easier or better other than money, and that goes for everywhere in the world.

    We all left somewhere to come here, so doesn't mean there was anything wrong with where we were before, for most of us this could have quite as easily been anywhere else, a lottery, all people look for is change, the world is a big place.

    I didn't move here because of any specifics the country had to offer, to the contrary I can't think of anything it has offered me I haven't had to work my arse off for or bend over backwards and pull my hair out for. Infact to go one step further, this place is hard work.

    I've got a steady job, and nice small place in a quiet safe area, a small but respectable circle of friends, a car and gas in my tank. I guess where ever I was would be pretty much the same and so there is not much reason to leave right now, and so that is enough reason for me to stay. If I need time out there is a strip of A/I over punta Cana where I can go and pretend to be anywhere else in the world.
    awesome post!!!

  4. Likes smitty777 liked this post
  5. #4
    Platinum
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    33,472
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by the gorgon View Post
    awesome post!!!
    hey, Smart, i love the part about the expat micro politics. walk into a caseta on the POP malecon. the Italians are at one table, the German another, and the Canadians their own. the Austrians hate the Swiss, who hate the British, and everybody hates the Yanks. talk about a dysfunctional family!!

  6. Likes Smart, jabejuventus, smitty777 liked this post
  7. #5
    Platinum
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    11,480
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by the gorgon View Post
    hey, Smart, i love the part about the expat micro politics. walk into a caseta on the POP malecon. the Italians are at one table, the German another, and the Canadians their own. the Austrians hate the Swiss, who hate the British, and everybody hates the Yanks. talk about a dysfunctional family!!
    Everybody hates the French and that's why they're in las Terrenas. They've got the best of the DR though

  8. Likes Africaida, flyinroom, Squat, frank12, bonao99 and 2 others liked this post
  9. #6
    *** I love DR1 ***
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    2,822
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    3 things keep me here, Making money, chicas and air conditioning. Anyone of those dry up and I'm gone.

  10. Likes frank12, Rattus_Rattus liked this post
  11. #7
    Gold
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    6,821
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by frank recktenwald View Post
    Everybody hates the French and that's why they're in las Terrenas. They've got the best of the DR though
    I'd say they have the best taste

  12. Likes Squat, Rosss liked this post
  13. #8
    Gold
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    5,694
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Yeah right, can I have another frog leg?

    Oh, you refer to Samana... sooorrrryyy.

    Quote Originally Posted by Africaida View Post
    I'd say they have the best taste

  14. Likes Africaida, frank recktenwald liked this post
  15. #9
    Gold
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    7,919
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I like everyone...I even like people I dont like, it gives me something to talk about

  16. Likes redserge, Harleysrock liked this post
  17. #10
    Platinum
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    33,472
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Derfish View Post
    Never been to Santo Domingo except to drive thru. Can anyone tell me why it reminds me of New Orleans every time I am there? But I stay here in POP because I love it. I have a soft and sexy babe to cuddle up to every night and she washes my clothes and makes meals 3 times a day and all I have to do is provide the money to pay the rent and buy the comida. Can't have that back in Miami or Tenn for that matter.
    I Love It!!
    Der Fish
    Derfish, you have it good. and you deserve it. keep on keeping on.

  18. Likes frank12 liked this post
Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •