I'm outta here...

explorer1

Jul 7, 2013
OK. Been talking about this so long I am sick of me. Could move to another part of the U.S., but will always have that " I shoulda given living abroad a chance" thing bothering the hell outta me. Could not talk anybody into investment venture, so I am gonna take my pitiably low funds, a coupe of college de-grees, and try out living abroad.

I like hot chicks, am afraid of stds, love cheap beer, and need a safe, clean place to live. After some years in few big American cities, I don't scare easily, but don't want to be foolish. I was warned that going to D.R. alone, without knowing anybody would be...foolish. This was advice from someone of Dominican descent, now living in Europe. "They will follow you from the airport and rob you!"... or something to that effect. Anyway, the chicks in D.R. are ridiculously sexy; I cannot think of another reason to choose this as my first destination over, say Colombia, El Salvador, quite frankly. Thoughts? Opinions? Chili recipes?

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
They can be extremely terribly sexy and I have a great crockpot chili recipe.

Based on those two paragraphs, you'll be fine. Good luck.

brlatm

Apr 26, 2012
I don't know about following you from the airport and I just dropped someone off in Santiago at 1:30 in the morning and took the forbidden Moca road back home! Oh my now what will all the naysayers think?

Only thing I had to worry about was the 487 dogs on the highway but I only saw maybe about 11 people up in that hour.

Have a great time living abroad amigo!

sayanora

Silver
Feb 22, 2012
I don't know about following you from the airport and I just dropped someone off in Santiago at 1:30 in the morning and took the forbidden Moca road back home! Oh my now what will all the naysayers think?

Only thing I had to worry about was the 487 dogs on the highway but I only saw maybe about 11 people up in that hour.

Have a great time living abroad amigo!

You went back to the north coast at 1:30 from STI? You crazy man, not because of the boogie man, but those hills are scary during the day, I'd **** myself at night haha..

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
I came to the DR alone without knowing anyone and so far I am very glad that I did so.

I also did the above "dangerous" drive in the middle of the night and lived to tell the tale.

Be sensible and don't show off to the chicas or anyone else how rich you are and you should be fine.

brlatm

Apr 26, 2012
You went back to the north coast at 1:30 from STI? You crazy man, not because of the boogie man, but those hills are scary during the day, I'd **** myself at night haha..

I drove in the long way around through POP and holy hell I haven't been to Santiago since maybe May and the roads are terrible through town. I said screw it I am not going to beat the **** out of my car that bad going back so I decided the Moca road it was. And the roads are not as bad as you think at night because there was no one at all on the road. I passed one carro going up the La Cumbre side right where you turn off and I passed a slow moving truck carrying eggs right past the top. Never saw another vehicle until I got into Cabarete.

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
Explorer1, go ahead and give it a try, see how you like it. You can always leave and
go some place else if it doesn't work out for you.

But you will never know unless you take the plunge.;) What may not work for some
may work for others.:)

Smart

Bronze
Jun 16, 2012
I wouldn't come here on those requirements. The chics are sexy for a moment and then they become brain numbingly boring, samish and more undesirable than so. Guys who religiously come here for the girls are confused between sexy and easy. If like many guys here you would be batting way above your league as you are nerdlike gross to most women then you might last a while longer under the spell, if you are a decent looking attractive intelligent guy I will wager you are bored with them pretty quickly.
The beer is very very expensive here and that doesn't fit either.
Clean, safe place to live depends on how much money you have, and furnished places are very expensive, unfurnished is cheap, but furniture is expensive.
As for safety, it's safe if you are sober, respectful and behave yourself.
It's a bumpy little time settling in here, if you want a stress free time then think elsewhere, seriously!

Wherever you decide, good luck, enjoy it, do your own thing and be happy!

explorer1

Jul 7, 2013
Thank you all for the responses thus far.

The BURNING question, I cannot ask here, unfortunately. It has to do with one of the 3rd rail, verboten topics. Anybody who has lived in the U.S. and wishes to p.m. me to discuss, please feel free. I promise it will be kept confidential.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Explorer, it's "OK", there are "NO", "Third Rails" here on DR1!!!!!!
Coming to the DR, "Underfunded" will insure that you will be unhappy here, and want to soon leave.
Have that "Return Ticket" handy at ALL TIMES"!
You do have the "Chica" part right!
Worrying about "STDs", WHY??????????????????????????
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

pauleast

*** I love DR1 ***
Jan 29, 2012
explorer, you will be fine. Just keep a stock of ample condoms and never ever, ever,ever let the chicas spend the night. Other wise your place will be ground zero for drama.

explorer1

Jul 7, 2013
hace mas que veinte anos... pero, puedo pedir las cosas importantes: cervesa, el bano, la biblioteca, comdias, y las mujeres, y la policiia.

explorer1

Jul 7, 2013
Explorer, it's "OK", there are "NO", "Third Rails" here on DR1!!!!!!
Coming to the DR, "Underfunded" will insure that you will be unhappy here, and want to soon leave.
Have that "Return Ticket" handy at ALL TIMES"!
You do have the "Chica" part right!
Worrying about "STDs", WHY??????????????????????????
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

OK, then. Is Dominican culture, generally speaking, like urban culture in the U.S.? I do not do ghetto well. Been there, done that too many years, don't wanna do it in Spanish.

I guess I have beaten this to death by a thousand versions of the same question, but... what constitutes underfunded? I think I might be able to teach, according to responses from another thread I started some time ago. I am not a bazillionaire, and have no pension payments coming for at least a decade.

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
CCCC pretty much nailed it. You'll likely have a good experience IF you can afford it. You've been around for a little bit, and hopefully have taken the time to read the "living expenses" sections. Are you eligible for retirement, or do you have other means of guaranteed monthly income that amount to around 2-3k? IF you have the money to sustain the lifestyle, go for it!

If not, you can still enjoy a meaningful DR experience, perhaps just not on a FT basis. Consider coming for several months at a time. You're a teacher, so perhaps staying over the summer? Or perhaps going on a sabbatical or other LOA?

My point is it seems the folks who only come for limited periods (or have the ability to travel back home at their leisure) seem to be the happiest. The ones who are "stuck" here due to financial shortfalls or other issues keeping them from returning home generally seem to have the biggest gripes.