Stone Crabs

T

Tired old Guy

Sorry to disappoint you fellas, but you aren't going to have much luck eating Stone Crab in the DR unless they import them from the Gulf Coast (US) or Florida, only place they grow

P

puppets

I thought so but I stay to myself and enjoy the humor this board provides.

C

criss colon

That,s my point to Tony. We could be millionaires if his "info" were true! Criss

T

Tired old Guy

What is it?

George

I don't know if I "like" your crab or not! Don't know what is is, but I know what it isn't, and thats a Stone crab. May be some inedible piece of garbage for all I know.

Just check some of the Bio Habitats on the Web, you will find no Stone crabs in the DR

T

Tony Castaneira

Stone crabs are found in Southern Florida and in the Caribbean. They prefer dark silty waters especially near mangroves.

I have personally caught Stone Crabs in the DR. and I have the scar to prove it. Catching a stone crab by hand was a pretty dumb thing to do.

T

Tony Castaneira

Re: What is it?

That is a land crab. Common in South Florida and the caribbean. It lives in burrows close to the ocean. Being omnivorous it eats anything it finds. It is common practice to keep captured land crabs for a few weeks in pens feeding them cracked corn to clean out their systems. It improves their taste.

M

mike

I remember a funny story when I was a kid living in Santo Domingo in the 70's.
Many a weekend we used to visit the isolated beaches of the Eastern DR (before they where developed) using an inflatable Avon boat to reach remote places. Back at the house we had an Alsation dog. Each day he would be fed a large bowel of food. For some reason he appeared to be getting thinner and thinner. So we dewormed him, took him to the vet, checked him out and they could find nothing wrong with him. One day I noticed after his food had been served which was around the back of the house that he seemed scared to approach his plate. It was then that i realised the reason why. From under his house around six large landcrabs appeared and consumed the contents of his plate and he was too scared to go near them. What had happened was they had been brought back to the house from the beach in a small form rapped in the inflatable boat and had grown into fullsize!

J

josh

No it isn?t an inedible piece of garbage you smart ass.And yes these crabs are very common in the DR.This one was saved from being ran over by a car in the road.I took this pic personally.10 minutes later i watched this dominican boy eat it himself.Most locals catch them around the river and eat them right then.No cooking nothing.Straight out of the shell...

I have one question to anyone who is reading this...Why is everyone so critical on this board?It seems that the one who knows the most about the DR is top dog.What are you all competing for anyway?

T

Tired old Guy

Tony

I realize your propensity for always having to be "correct," but you are wrong on this one. I hate to argue where Stone Crabs are found, so I include one link for you. There are hundreds, find me one that shows them in the Southern Caribbean and I will believe you, otherwise I must believe you caught a blu crab, reef crab or whatever, they all will "pinch"

T

Tired old Guy

Josh, I'm not a "smart ass," I simply said "for all I know" indicating I didn't know what the picture showed, but it was not a stone crab.

T

Tony Castaneira

First off the DR is not in the Southern Caribbean. It borders the northern Caribbean sea. Check out the Web site below which states that besides the US Stone crabs can be found in the Bahamas through the West Indies to the Yucatan.

If you notice I do not give my opinion to many of the posts on this site. I only address the ones in which I can give an educated opinion.

T

Tired old Guy

Sorry Tony

I think I will trust the US Oceanic webpage and that of Texas U over Sandy and Mindy's wonderful Caribbean webpage (Your reference).

If Stone Crabs were locally available in the DR, Turks and Caicos etc, they would heavily market them

Your webpage "reference" is about as beleiveable as your stint with the "CIA" :)

C

criss colon

Re: Sorry Tony

Hey, "Gunny" you still get up early,and full of "piss&vinegar",way to go!If there wer stone crabs the dominicans would sell them on every street corner! Criss

T

Tired old Guy

Criss

30 years is hard to get out of your system

By the way, Carl or MASTER GUNNERY Sgt would be appreciated :)

T

Tony Castaneira

Don't you ever absorb what you read. I never said I worked for the CIA!!!

T

Tony Castaneira

One thing that still amazes me about the DR is the typical Dominicans ignorance of their own country. I have caught both Tarpon and Snook in the Rio's Ozama and Haina. Have you ever seen a Domincan with one? They don't eat iguana in the DR either but in Central America they are consumed by the locals.

P

Pib

Thanks Tony, but no.

Some people do eat iguanas, get better informed. But the majority of us think that Iguanas are not meant to be eaten (heck! I don't even eat meat). Let the poor iguanas, frogs and other small critters alone.

Some people eat roaches, do you?