Looking for these cigars

Makinater

May 4, 2013
I suppose I should've just PM:ed CC right away, but I figured that there might be some other cigar aficionado on this forum as well. Friend of mine want me to send him these cigars, but I haven't been able to find anything but Cohibas, Montecristo and some other common puros. So any pointers would be great! And since I'm not going to leave SD just to buy him cigars, tips on great boutiques outside la capital is not useful to me. Thanks a lot, fellow DR1ers ...

Ashton classic
Arturs Fuente
Avo xo
Imperiales
Macanudo Maduro
X blend

hammerdown

Bronze
Apr 29, 2005
Go to Cafe Cubano in Sosua, he has the originals, and only the BEST.....Brian also knows his cigars and loves to talk about his time he spent in Cuba.....If you want Cubans you need to go talk to him...

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
There are several good cigar stores in SD, but I suggest you go to Cigar Country Store: Roberto Pastoriza #504 in Evaristo Morales (near Naco and Piantinini). 809-381-2121

They are direct distributors for most Dominican brands, and the owners are awesome guys.

Also, for Opus X...and all other Arturo Fuente cigars, go to Arturo Fuente Cigar Club, Av. 27 de Febrero #211, in Naco. It's a stand-alone building doesn't look like a cigar store, but there's a big sign and parking in front. Amazing vibe and selection and the prices are actually pretty good.

But keep in mind, all the brands you listed are available from most online cigar retailers and will probably be cheaper...except the Opus X, which often sell way above retail in the US

Spicedwine

Apr 25, 2006
I have to say that I cannot recommend Cafe Cubano, we too had been asked for a very specific brand and type of cigar.
Having dealt with the former owner in the past, I went and checked the brand out. He had it and I bought it. Took it to our friend.
A week after we had dropped them off, we got an email from him. He didn't want to tell us but felt he had to for future reference... the cigars where fake. He emailed the differences with photos etc, and this is a guy who knows his stuff. He was going to hand them out to his fishing buddies who wouldn't know the difference!!!! Needless to say we reimbursed him his money, which he was trying to avoid us doing, and hey shame on us for trusting someone we hadn't done business with before.
So buyer beware.
Please also be advised this is only one experience, it was mine, and that is my opinion. No need to jump all over me for stating my story. I am sure others have had positive ones. Just saying!!

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I NEVER buy ANY cigars here in the DR, Including "Dominican Cigars"!!!
Buy online in the USA from huge vendors like "Cigars International, Cigar Bid, Famous Smoke Shop, and MANY MANY others!!
Use their "Auction Sites" only, NOT there retail sites, they charge more than twice what you can get at auction!
All those brands are available at auction sites.
No hassel with getting them from HERE, to There!
I buy about 2 to 300 dollars of cigars from them monthly!
Arturo Fuentes, Leon Jimenez, are ridiculously priced here, as well as all others made here.
You have to pay stupidly high dominican prices, and tax here.
No Tax on cigars made in Free zones, and shipped to the USA, or on the way back, just keep your orders UNDER $200.
I pay EPS shipping charges and STILL pay about 1/2 of what I would pay here!
ONLY way to buy premium cigars???....ON LINE!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
ps., there is only "ONE WAY" to know 100% that you are smoking a genuine "Cubano>
Do what I did, Fly yo Cuba, find a cigar maker, watch him roll your cigars, "Light 'Em Up"!
Draw!
SEE a REAL CUBAN CIGAR!!!!
People I respect here on DR1 will recommend a certain cigar sellers that have "Cuban Originals", I have yet to be convinced!
I like Blended cigars anyway.
Equadorian, Brazilian, Camaroon, Sumatran, Pennsylvanian, "wrappers", Dominican, Nicaraguan,Honduran, Long Leaf "Fillers",
"Binder', from everywhere!
If you want to smoke "Cubans"?????????
Go To "La Habana"!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Last edited:

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
I have to say that I cannot recommend Cafe Cubano, we too had been asked for a very specific brand and type of cigar.
Having dealt with the former owner in the past, I went and checked the brand out. He had it and I bought it. Took it to our friend.
A week after we had dropped them off, we got an email from him. He didn't want to tell us but felt he had to for future reference... the cigars where fake. He emailed the differences with photos etc, and this is a guy who knows his stuff. He was going to hand them out to his fishing buddies who wouldn't know the difference!!!! Needless to say we reimbursed him his money, which he was trying to avoid us doing, and hey shame on us for trusting someone we hadn't done business with before.
So buyer beware.
Please also be advised this is only one experience, it was mine, and that is my opinion. No need to jump all over me for stating my story. I am sure others have had positive ones. Just saying!!

Don't know about the present owner at all, but I can say without a doubt that the Original owners sold fakes. Not only Cubans, but high line Dominican Cigars also.

May 29, 2006
Go to Cafe Cubano in Sosua, he has the originals, and only the BEST.....Brian also knows his cigars and loves to talk about his time he spent in Cuba.....If you want Cubans you need to go talk to him...

Can't agree more. I got a tutorial from the guy and ended up buying about $50 worth of cigars, many of them generic Cubanos without any labels. I got my money back selling the cheap Cubanos in the US. A cigar person can tell a real Cubano cigar from ten feet away.

But I can see how the high end Cubanos would be faked. They are faked in Cuba as well.

Be sure to wait until right before you leave to buy. There's a reason cigar shops are air conditioned.

hammerdown

Bronze
Apr 29, 2005
So buyer beware.

You should check out post 30 in this thread, http://www.dr1.com/forums/north-coast/120193-cigars-puerto-plata-3.html

Makinater

May 4, 2013
There are several good cigar stores in SD, but I suggest you go to Cigar Country Store: Roberto Pastoriza #504 in Evaristo Morales (near Naco and Piantinini). 809-381-2121

They are direct distributors for most Dominican brands, and the owners are awesome guys.

Also, for Opus X...and all other Arturo Fuente cigars, go to Arturo Fuente Cigar Club, Av. 27 de Febrero #211, in Naco. It's a stand-alone building doesn't look like a cigar store, but there's a big sign and parking in front. Amazing vibe and selection and the prices are actually pretty good.

But keep in mind, all the brands you listed are available from most online cigar retailers and will probably be cheaper...except the Opus X, which often sell way above retail in the US

Thanks a bunch for that info! But by online store you mean US websites, right? Thinking about the shipping cost as well since my friend live in Europe. On the other hand, it is probably cheaper to ship from the US to EU than it is to ship to EU from here. Will look into both the fysical and online stores.

Makinater

May 4, 2013
I NEVER buy ANY cigars here in the DR, Including "Dominican Cigars"!!!
Buy online in the USA from huge vendors like "Cigars International, Cigar Bid, Famous Smoke Shop, and MANY MANY others!!
Use their "Auction Sites" only, NOT there retail sites, they charge more than twice what you can get at auction!
All those brands are available at auction sites.
No hassel with getting them from HERE, to There!
I buy about 2 to 300 dollars of cigars from them monthly!
Arturo Fuentes, Leon Jimenez, are ridiculously priced here, as well as all others made here.
You have to pay stupidly high dominican prices, and tax here.
No Tax on cigars made in Free zones, and shipped to the USA, or on the way back, just keep your orders UNDER $200.
I pay EPS shipping charges and STILL pay about 1/2 of what I would pay here!
ONLY way to buy premium cigars???....ON LINE!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
ps., there is only "ONE WAY" to know 100% that you are smoking a genuine "Cubano>
Do what I did, Fly yo Cuba, find a cigar maker, watch him roll your cigars, "Light 'Em Up"!
Draw!
SEE a REAL CUBAN CIGAR!!!!
People I respect here on DR1 will recommend a certain cigar sellers that have "Cuban Originals", I have yet to be convinced!
I like Blended cigars anyway.
Equadorian, Brazilian, Camaroon, Sumatran, Pennsylvanian, "wrappers", Dominican, Nicaraguan,Honduran, Long Leaf "Fillers",
"Binder', from everywhere!
If you want to smoke "Cubans"?????????
Go To "La Habana"!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Great information from a cigar aficionado. I thought you would post in this thread, haha. I will definitely check those sites and compare with the prices in Cigar Country, just to give my friend the numbers. But like you all said, it will probably be cheaper just to ask him buy online himself.

Thanks all!

Oct 13, 2003
instagram.com

David any idea on the price of a box Opus X Robustos?

Alternatively would be willing to trade a box of Cohiba Robustos ( verified online and bought at a local LCdH) or similar.

Any takers?

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Europe has wierd customs regulations about importing certain cigars.
The Cuban government has exclusivity agreements that do not allow cigars from other cigar producing countries to be imported.
It would be a sad thing if you sent him cigars, and they were confiscated, only to be smoked by the customs agents in their homes!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Oct 13, 2003
instagram.com
Europe has wierd customs regulations about importing certain cigars.
The Cuban government has exclusivity agreements that do not allow cigars from other cigar producing countries to be imported.
It would be a sad thing if you sent him cigars, and they were confiscated, only to be smoked by the customs agents in their homes!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

I'm talking about a physical trade, CC, since I'll be in country EOY/BOY, for my family holiday.

Apart from this you are sorely misinformed about EU regulations.

Only LCdH are exclusively Cuban oriented worldwide. Other tabacconists sell Cubans side by side with NC.

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
David any idea on the price of a box Opus X Robustos?

Alternatively would be willing to trade a box of Cohiba Robustos ( verified online and bought at a local LCdH) or similar.

Any takers?

I don't remember the prices of specific vitolas, but they were cheaper than anywhere Ive seen...including the US auction sites...Opus X is the only non-Cuban cigar I know of that consistently sells for more than retail...in stores and online...even at auction!

BTW...anyone in South FL that wants Opus X...go to Mike's Cigars in Miami...I've bought some there below retail!

cockig

Jan 3, 2002
www.adonmpta.info
Just go to Tamboril,thy have excellent cigars local brands can compere to all the famas brands and on lot cheaper ,and you can tray them out free before baying.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Smoked many a great cigar with Maurice!
Looks like we "Dutchmen", like good cigars, a LOT of fine foods, and beautiful ladies!
I just walked into his factory in Tamboril about 15 years ago by chance.
He gave me a tour, with a stop in his tasting room at the end!
Always has a pocket full of great cigars to share.
"Good People"!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Astucia

Papa de Negrita
Oct 19, 2013
Last edited: