Anybody use a dash cam?

ccarabella

Feb 5, 2002
Yes, i've looked but I haven't found someone that actually uses one.
Going to DR in a few days and I wanted to bring one with me.
I think this is the only time I can say Google didn't help much.
Anyone use a dashcam at night, dark roads? Any recommendations?

tommeyers

On Vacation!
Jan 2, 2012
I live in Santiago
Another choice might be night vision goggles - to see the motorcycles without their lights, dogs, people walking in the road and unexpected and unmarked speed bumps. The dash cam could be used to identify what you hit.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
a good friend of mine does. he installed it few months ago. he says it adds to safety. i'm contemplating doing the same next year.

Collingwood

Dec 4, 2004
I wonder if using a dash cam in the DR would infuriate the police? Whenever I am in the DR the shake downs on the road by the cops are guaranteed. Dont think they would take too kindly to being recorded. I personally would love to record their rank actions and post to Youtube. But I cant help but feel that the mere presence of a dash cam will agitate these critters and inflame the shake down.

Lothario666

Bronze
Oct 16, 2012
Try this place, I found them when I ordered a special cable that cost me $2.99 with free shipping.
They have 1,000's of great stuff for everything.

Check the individual add to see if they have a warehouse for the item you are looking for in the U.S., some items are and some are not. Looks like everything is "Free Shipping".

mirror dvr camera | Search Results : Tmart.com

Jan 9, 2004
I am thinking about it too. Any recommendations?

DOD LS 300W

About $145 bucks.

There is a forum something like dash cam forum.

Don't waste your money on the really low end stuff.

The one above is a good choice...read the reviews.

I do not endorse this website, but it offers a video comparing
picture quality of four models. I imagine you tube also has other comparisons.

http://www.foxoffer.com/ls650w-nt96650-full-hd-1080p-car-dash-camcorder-6g-fixed-lens-p-552.html

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2004
This is a good cam.

For a bit more you can get the DOD LS430W, which is a top of the line cam.

MD:

Looked at it as well. This technology is evolving and changing so rapidly, I decided to limit my budget to $150.00. Like smartphone technology, these will all be yesterday's news....very quickly.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Am I missing something here. I do not see the purpose.

What will you do with the video? Is Not like elsewhere where their is a determination of fault. You a gringo its your fault.

toriemannetje

Aug 30, 2013

What will you do with the video? Is Not like elsewhere where their is a determination of fault. You a gringo its your fault.

i was thinking the same..

or maybe he's aiming to catch accidents to put them on youtube to get millions of views to get paid! :p

Jan 9, 2004

Dashcams have come mainstream and are especially popular in Eastern Europe and former Soviet bloc countries where fraud/kidnappings/theft/robbery at gunpoint are a blood sport. Lots of use by law enforcement as well.

To your point, other than to establish fault/blame or identify people/things, they may not be for the DR yet.....then again.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Oct 13, 2003
instagram.com

With the annual increase in Police shakedowns, one might need video evidence just to keep the clothes on your back.

Such a dashcam connected to your cell for quick uploading to FB might deter them.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
for me I have always deterred them with the old I no speakee Spanish routine. So far they have always given up after a few minutes. At her colmado I did see my wife give the two cops a gallon of gas after they responded to a fight call. They were totally out of gas and could not leave.

Smart

Bronze
Jun 16, 2012

Well that is the point, if a guy lies down infrint of your car at the lights and claims you hit him then with a dashcam you can prove you didn't. I know we have a rip about the state of corruption, but it's not that blatant, even here. Hard evidence like that they can't deny you justice, in any means.