Ciguatera-free dining

bodegas

Nov 10, 2013
Hola,

We're looking forward to a great trip soon, and we'll visit a bunch of towns throughout the country (probably lingering longer on the North Coast). I want to eat some fresh seafood, but you know how those doctors sometimes scare you with information...

What seafood items can I order that have the lowest chance of Ciguatera - like, what are they called in DR Spanish?

I realize it's found in carnivorous reef fish - the bigger the badder - but I don't know if that's the main kind that's served in DR, or if it's common to find fresh fish from deeper waters. Or if restaurants just buy small fish...

Any suggestions on places in Cabarete, Las Galeras, or Las Terrenas that are likely to prepare Ciguatera-free cuisine are appreciated.

Thank you!

May 29, 2006
Cooking doesn't stop ciguatera. I normally eat smaller reef fish or open ocean caught fish. Mahi Mahi(Dolrado) is a good choice.

rogerjac

Bronze
Feb 9, 2012
If I was so worried about something in certain food I would just avoid it altogether.

Don Pedro

Apr 2, 2005
Ciguatera and Malta fever

Bodegas, please...ciguatera is only with small fishes and on a hot summer and less than 2 % of the fish may be "eligible"

Do you know that an average of 30 people (in Europe) died each year for Malt fever complications.
Old people not in good shape.
How "to get" malta fever ? Goat cheese !

I imagine , 2 millions people eat every day goat cheese.

Do not worry "Bueno Apetito"

rogerjac

Bronze
Feb 9, 2012
That is 2 foods I don't worry about. When I saw malt in your title I was concerned it was about the other malt....beer.....now that would have been a problem

May 29, 2006
Bodegas, please...ciguatera is only with small fishes and on a hot summer and less than 2 % of the fish may be "eligible"

Do you know that an average of 30 people (in Europe) died each year for Malt fever complications.
Old people not in good shape.
How "to get" malta fever ? Goat cheese !

I imagine , 2 millions people eat every day goat cheese.

Do not worry "Bueno Apetito"

And in the US they won't make raw milk cheese because of the tiny risk of Listeria. American cheese is plastic compared to the European stuff, esp Brie.

bodegas

Nov 10, 2013
If I was so worried about something in certain food I would just avoid it altogether.
I may just end up doing that, but I'd like to at least try a little fresh seafood. I'm landlocked at home so don't know how this stuff works...