Finally, a great steak in the DR

judypdr

Jul 23, 2011
Costambar
Finally, I found a restaurant that serves a great steak -- La Papillion near Villas Cofresi in Puerto Plata. There are several choices but I had the filet with bernaise sauce and it was excellent! About three inches thick and at least 12 ounces, cooked perfectly to my choice of medium. About twice as much as I could eat so I got to enjoy it twice! I heartily recommend this restaurant...open on in the evenings after 7 pm and closed on Mondays. Honestly, it was almost as good as the $100 steak I had at Schula's in Chicago and that's saying a lot. The cost was $20 US...total cost of the meal with two glasses of red wine and an outstanding fresh shimp cocktail was RD$1,600 pesos..and leftovers for another meals as well. I'll be back!

21yearsinDR

May 29, 2013
The restaurant is situated in Altos de Cofresi. If you come from Santiago it is right after the entrance to Cofresi and Ocean World - then you turn right.
They have a sign at the main road.
The owner is German and this restaurant has been there for more than 20 years I think..
The food is very good.

InsanelyOne

Bronze
Oct 21, 2008
judypdr, do they identify the origin of their meat? I can't imagine a US$20 12oz filet is imported beef.

Anyone know of a restaurant in the DR that serves USDA Prime beef?

May 12, 2005
judypdr, do they identify the origin of their meat? I can't imagine a US$20 12oz filet is imported beef.

Anyone know of a restaurant in the DR that serves USDA Prime beef?

I think there are a few in Santo Domingo. Davy Crockett comes to mind. But I will defer to those who reside there.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
If you go to David Crockett get the imported sirloin that is sold by weight. Ask the waiter to bring a piece of uncooked steak to the table and pick your size. Very good, but not cheap.

oriole100

Bronze
Oct 9, 2005
We're not talking Santo Domingo. We're talking North Coast. It's one of the best we have had, anywhere.

hammerdown

Bronze
Apr 29, 2005
Glad to hear there is a great place to have a steak on the NC. The only other place I could and would recommend is Cafeto in La Cumbre on the highway between Sabaneta and Moca.......Only order the Filete and nothing else...and its like 400 pesos and the best piece of beef you will get......Really!!!

abnor

Nov 7, 2006
This is is one of the places I like to dine while in Cofresi. Thomas never disappoints!

Buzzard

Feb 28, 2004
Costambar
Is it on the street that leads to Ocean World?

No, it is off of the main highway, east of the entrance to Cofresi (e.g., Ocean World, Life Styles).
Turn south, up the hill.
Personally, I dislike the place: the food is expensive, his prices are in dollars, he offers a bad rate of exchange, and he has special discounts for certain customers. (Trash my reasoning, if you are so inclined.)
For a great Austrian meal, turn left into the yard of the very first house on the left after you make the turn off of the main road. The restaurant is on the back porch (five tables). The couple that run the place are very friendly, and offer a selection of great German/Austrian food at reasonable prices.

michellee60563

Feb 3, 2010
No, it is off of the main highway, east of the entrance to Cofresi (e.g., Ocean World, Life Styles).
Turn south, up the hill.
Personally, I dislike the place: the food is expensive, his prices are in dollars, he offers a bad rate of exchange, and he has special discounts for certain customers. (Trash my reasoning, if you are so inclined.)
For a great Austrian meal, turn left into the yard of the very first house on the left after you make the turn off of the main road. The restaurant is on the back porch (five tables). The couple that run the place are very friendly, and offer a selection of great German/Austrian food at reasonable prices.

thanks! I appreciate the feedback! I'm a fan favorite for Tam Tam on the Malaccan and La Parrillada off the roundabout. What is the name of your Austrian find?

Oct 13, 2003
instagram.com
Glad to hear there is a great place to have a steak on the NC. The only other place I could and would recommend is Cafeto in La Cumbre on the highway between Sabaneta and Moca.......Only order the Filete and nothing else...and its like 400 pesos and the best piece of beef you will get......Really!!!

You really are giving up all the good places...

People, don't visit Cafeto, it is small and you might not get a seat :)