Distance calculator and more!

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Buy a map. It's an island. Nothing is usually more than a couple of hours away. You are making something simple into a project. It is just down the road a piece.

LTSteve

drtampa

Bronze
Oct 1, 2004
New Ulm, TX
Distance is important if you are driving from San Antonio to El Paso.
In the DR I always wanted to know how much time and that was never correct.
This seems almost useless.

Smart

Bronze
Jun 16, 2012
Why is it useless, it tells you miles as the crow flies and road miles, which is actually interesting to see how little miles the difference is in road to air miles (or I was surprised in the tests I just did).
A map is not going to give you traffic conditions either, so what do you want, a personal chopper circling the country to provide you with up to date traffic and delay updates?

You just said your ETA is never correct, so has the penny not dropped? Keeping up with sporadic roadworks, closures, collapse is impossible here.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
I think it is useful. There is definitely a big difference to go from SD to Santiago or from SD to Bahia de las Aguilas. If I go somewhere I mostly have an appointment and need to know how many hours in advance to leave.

On the other hand, I prefer to use google maps, which gives me the distance and an estimate of the travel time.

May 29, 2006
You can also get directions on Google Earth.

I dunno. I took a map making course once and I've got time on my hands. Maybe I'll start working on a schematic map...

skynet

Bronze
Aug 25, 2013
I like it, it shows distance and time for travel and where the Airports are, very useful if you don't know the DR area well..I know SD very well, but here via POP, Sosua, etc, natta...so, very cool for me.

Ant

Smart

Bronze
Jun 16, 2012
Today, Ave Luperon to Ensanche luperon, 1hour, 30frinkin minutes. I'm mentally exhausted!

A bit off topic but how much gas does the A/C in a car use? I am sure I am using more in A/C than actual distance travelled.

skynet

Bronze
Aug 25, 2013
Not much Smart, if your HWY you may not notice any difference, its when your stop & go using the A/C is where it gets you

Today, Ave Luperon to Ensanche luperon, 1hour, 30frinkin minutes. I'm mentally exhausted!

A bit off topic but how much gas does the A/C in a car use? I am sure I am using more in A/C than actual distance travelled.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002

About 10% is what they say, but depends on how cold you put it and how warm it is outside ofcourse.

May 29, 2006
Here is a milage calculator based on Google maps road travel. I can add any city if you want and repost. It needs a little tweaking still.

https://scontent-b-lga.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc3/1441374_10202205008384163_1364873448_n.jpg

1441374_10202205008384163_1364873448_n.jpg

Google Doc
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AlL6yHkghAxFdDFxanBMTlA3RjBBbGpHaWtQcUk1OEE&usp=sharing

Smart

Bronze
Jun 16, 2012
About 10% is what they say, but depends on how cold you put it and how warm it is outside ofcourse.

Wow, that is much more than I anticipated, obviously A/C is on full blast when it's on, but 10% is a lot more than I thought! I figured maybe 2-3%. On a smooth consistent run, I figured more at a standstill.
No idea how these things work.

May 29, 2006
What I've always hear about MPG is the easiest way is to keep your tires correctly inflated and the car tuned. I notice a big improvement by using the Cruise control as well.

Smart

Bronze
Jun 16, 2012
Peter gets much love today.
I actually drive with my windows down and the A/C on, lol. I know it sounds daft but when my windows are up I can't see out of them. I blacked them out, wrong (I'm not a mechanic ), I can kinda of see but now well enough to see other cars unless I look really squinty eyed for enough time for me to drive into something I front of me. So I just drive with them down.

Anyway, another daft expat among the daft dums dums!

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
I didn't watch the youtube movie but here is an article stating the best is no airco and windows up (obviously) and that's where you use 10% more when using airco. I had never realized the drag you get when driving with windows down (it seems on SUV's that drag is not so big, but then the difference will be a lot less.

However, if I drive without airco in my peugeot 307 and windows down I get around 12.5 km/ 100l and with airco on about 13.5.

May 29, 2006
The video says no real difference in MPG using the AC or not, despite conventional wisdom. I know some people think you use more gas by having your headlights on so they drive around in the dark with them off.

And are you really saving money if you need a couple more beers to cool down after a hot drive?