Casas de cambio

gas

Jul 28, 2013
Are they regulated by the government? Can I walk into any one of them and be safe or do I need to exercise caution and shop around for the best rate? I'm staying in an apartment in Gasque... any recommendations for such a place here or in the Colonial Zone? Thanks.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
No, I don't believe there is any gov regulation there. My experience is that most of them will treat you fairly. Make sure you know what the current exchange rate is and ask before you make a transaction if he is charging a fee for the exchange. Why not use an ATM or traditional bank?

LTSTeve

Eugeniefs

Jan 24, 2008
As they aren't gov regulated, I would check what the rate is before doing any transactions. I asked some of my 'friendly' motoconcho guys where the best one is and they told me, they always know the best one locally. I have been going to the same place now for a few years and he does me a good deal, which is a bonus! You should be able to change pesos to dollars and vice versa at any of these places (as well as most banks - but as dv8 says, you will need ID at the bank) and I know a few banks here in PC that won't change money unless you have an account with them.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
the rate between casas de cambio and banks hardly differs. exact numbers only really matter if you are operating large quantities of money.

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011
Casas de cambio usually have a better rate than banks. Just call a few casas and ask how much their rate is! Caribe Tours often has good rates too. Not sure if they sell dollars, though.

granca

Bronze
Aug 20, 2007
Caribe Express I have found pays the best rates consistently. Service is friendly. Yes you do need ID cedula or passport. Dollars or Euros to Pesos or vice versa.

gas

Jul 28, 2013
I only have about a few hundred USD in pesos to exchange so the rate won't make much of a difference. Scotia Bank knows me and I was just there. They said no problem and their rate is 42+. Thanks for the responses. If I had known that it was so easy to exchange money at banks, I would have brought more USD and passed on ATM's. Even though there's no surcharge at Scotia since I have my account at BofA, there was still a $7 and change charge per transaction. I wonder what that was for, but it added up.

kenthedentman

Apr 10, 2012
Definitely bring the passport. Make sure the bills are unmarked and not ripped or anything. I hate western union but that is usually where i exchange dollars. Most of the time i just pull money from atm. I only use one atm every time. Its a banco popular, it gives ur card back to you before asking for the pin. I like that. Any of the bigger hotels will exchange also but they wont give you the best rate. You will lose 2 or 3 pesos to the dollar but they maybe the most convenient for you. Personally i would go to western union. Everybody here over 3 months old knows where the nearest western union is. Any taxi will do.