If You Need Your Transmission Repaired

hammerdown

Bronze
Apr 29, 2005
I just had a very good experience with a repair shop in Santiago. Andy Auto Transmission.

He is located on the POP side of Santiago, up the street from Madeco (on the autopista).

I took my 2002 Accord SE that was having problems and he rebuilt the thing. We took it for a test ride and I noticed it wasn't shifting very well. He says it has a 'break in' period and not to worry because he would fix it under warranty....I'm thinking when I leave there goes the warranty....

So after a month I go back to see him and his associate assures me they would look after it. They couldn't do anything at that time and told me to come back. Before I could come back I had to leave the DR for a couple of months....I informed Andy of this and he says no problem, when I'm back come in and see him and he would take care of it for me....

Long story short, I get back 2 months later and go and see him.....he says "leave me the car and come back tomorrow afternoon"....Ok I say and start thinking how much is this going to cost me....
Anyway I call him the next afternoon and he says the car is ready and good to go....I go pick it up and there is no charge....

Andy was professional, and he did what he said he would do.

If you have transmission problems with whatever mark of auto, he's the guy I would recommend.
If you want more info, PM me.

Jan 9, 2004
I just had a very good experience with a repair shop in Santiago. Andy Auto Transmission.

He is located on the POP side of Santiago, up the street from Madeco (on the autopista).

I took my 2002 Accord SE that was having problems and he rebuilt the thing. We took it for a test ride and I noticed it wasn't shifting very well. He says it has a 'break in' period and not to worry because he would fix it under warranty....I'm thinking when I leave there goes the warranty....

So after a month I go back to see him and his associate assures me they would look after it. They couldn't do anything at that time and told me to come back. Before I could come back I had to leave the DR for a couple of months....I informed Andy of this and he says no problem, when I'm back come in and see him and he would take care of it for me....

Long story short, I get back 2 months later and go and see him.....he says "leave me the car and come back tomorrow afternoon"....Ok I say and start thinking how much is this going to cost me....
Anyway I call him the next afternoon and he says the car is ready and good to go....I go pick it up and there is no charge....

If you have transmission problems with whatever mark of auto, he's the guy I would recommend.

Hammer:

In a nutshell, the guy "fixes" the transmission, tells you it needs a "break in period," you bring it back, he "fixes" it again and honors a warranty.

Are you more excited that he fixed it after two attempts or that he actually honored a warranty?

To me, he should have road tested it first before giving it back to you to discover it was still not shifting properly....not tell you it needed a "break in period"...only to take it back and fix it again.

Based on your post, I think its the honoring of a warranty.

I just don't see this as a flattering endorsement of the quality of the work.....warranty yes, quality no.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

hammerdown

Bronze
Apr 29, 2005
Hammer:

In a nutshell, the guy "fixes" the transmission, tells you it needs a "break in period," you bring it back, he "fixes" it again and honors a warranty.

Are you more excited that he fixed it after two attempts or that he actually honored a warranty?

To me, he should have road tested it first before giving it back to you to discover it was still not shifting properly....not tell you it needed a "break in period"...only to take it back and fix it again.

Based on your post, I think its the honoring of a warranty.

I just don't see this as a flattering endorsement of the quality of the work.....warranty yes, quality no.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Unrespectful response

Firstly have you ever worked on a vehicle, or only reported on how you imported your vehicle into the DR.....
Right.....didn?t think so
I have replaced transmissions, and after your idiotic response, I consulted a friend who owns a transmission repair shop in Canada.........guess what he said...... he would have given me the same response because a lot of the things that happen, happen during the first 30 days (break in period).....so why take the thing out and repair one thing and then have to take it out again to repair something else later during the warranty period.....run it for 30 days and bring it back and we will acess the problems after.....

Such a negative response is the caliber of posters on this forum, and, you have followed suit.....if you have anything positive to say, say it on this thread, if you don?t, go crawl back into your hole you came out of because you don?t know squat.....

Unrespectfully to you beach bum

HAMMERDOWN, or I will

Jan 9, 2004
Unrespectful response

Then we will agree to disagree about my response...fair enough.

Firstly have you ever worked on a vehicle, or only reported on how you imported your vehicle into the DR.....
Right.....didn?t think so

Are you answering your own question for me? It is a shame you have chosen to get personal first and then gone and put your foot in your mouth making statements you have no knowledge about regarding someone elses knowledge/experience. Perhaps you should read some of my other threads to find out if I know anything about automobiles. Please read on.

I have replaced transmissions, and after your idiotic response, I consulted a friend who owns a transmission repair shop in Canada.........guess what he said...... he would have given me the same response because a lot of the things that happen, happen during the first 30 days (break in period).....so why take the thing out and repair one thing and then have to take it out again to repair something else later during the warranty period.....run it for 30 days and bring it back and we will acess the problems after.....

Where to start. I too have replaced transmissions and still turn wrenches on my collection of older stuff. And while years ago rebuilt tranny's may have needed to be brought back for fluid changes/check the torque converter etc....those days are over....unless they are not properly re-built and tested the first time.

Such a negative response is the caliber of posters on this forum, and, you have followed suit.....if you have anything positive to say, say it on this thread, if you don?t, go crawl back into your hole you came out of because you don?t know squat.....

Now you are attacking all of the posters on this forum....you are truly having a bad day...but as Robert has said many times...he will issue a full refund for those who choose to cancel their subscription.

Unrespectfully to you beach bum

Hope you have a better day tomorrow.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

hammerdown

Bronze
Apr 29, 2005
Then we will agree to disagree about my response...fair enough.

Are you answering your own question for me? It is a shame you have chosen to get personal first and then gone and put your foot in your mouth making statements you have no knowledge about regarding someone elses knowledge/experience. Perhaps you should read some of my other threads to find out if I know anything about automobiles. Please read on.

Where to start. I too have replaced transmissions and still turn wrenches on my collection of older stuff. And while years ago rebuilt tranny's may have needed to be brought back for fluid changes/check the torque converter etc....those days are over....unless they are not properly re-built and tested the first time.

Now you are attacking all of the posters on this forum....you are truly having a bad day...but as Robert has said many times...he will issue a full refund for those who choose to cancel their subscription.

Hope you have a better day tomorrow.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Hey beach
This thread was started to show a good aspect of Dominican workmanship, and lord knows I have experienced a lot of the bad....but lets have a look, when was the last time you actually rebuilt a transmission, no really when??, and like you said "years ago" you did this, but not on something new....so your experience is like mine, back in the day....
So please keep your negative comments to yourself...and if Robert doesn't want to refund your subscription, I will X20.....

Please don't respond, your riff raff is only good on importing goods, not repairing them.....

Again HAMMERDOWN, or I will

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Lot of short fuses here today. What did PC say wrong? Your post actually tells just that: the acknowledged the guarantee, not if the job was done well. I've had my share of transmission problems and wouldn't dare to say its a job well done until I drove the vehicle for a few weeks at least.

skynet

Bronze
Aug 25, 2013
Oh joy, do I dare...sigh...Hammer...I can assure you there is no break in period of a transmission..either its rebuilt correctly or its not..I truly feel your transmission had to be taken apart again and maybe flushed? perhaps the Valve body got dirt inside, filter was not changed which caused contamination? maybe a simple servo? I'm a Ford guy, been so for 18 Years, part of what I did moving up my so called ladder was serving techs and ordering parts, can tell you every part in a domestic transmission, some imports etc..but bottom line is, something was a miss,.,and its called fix it right the first time. just glad you noticed a shift problem and brought it back in time before it did damage and it would have in time

However, its not to say the guy does bad work, happens to a lot of A techs, even the best of them..Oh crap! had some metal particles in the pan, started it up and now contaminated the convertor..I can tell you quite a few times that they had to reflush the tranny and change the valve body again which we ate..as to your post, I would go there if I had a car only because thing slike this does happen and he was a stand up guy! that there is most important, standing by the repair..

Ant

Drperson

Sep 19, 2008
Thanks for the info. Does anybody know a good engine mechanic in Santiago area for a valve job?

skynet

Bronze
Aug 25, 2013
What kind of car? and your serious? lucky its the DR, those jobs can be just as good as putting an engine in depending on the make & model..Suzuki for example, had quite a few issues with noise, if there was damage, then the entire head had to be replaced which really was just about the complete engine on some models which the manufacturer paid..included upper/lower gasket sets, lifters, valves, sealant if the head was not needed..Isuzu had the same issue, and being Suzuki & Isuzu, even some Daewoo, has really the same engines, we use to use parts to fix one make to another, interchangeable really..also the Isuzu trucks, talking about FTR mama's and NPR trucks too

I always had the pleasure to Manage a multi manufacturer dealership, had quite a few makes all at one location which was great experience. that said and point is, whatever make/model you have, check with a dealer first for any open recalls or TSB by proving your VIN number before you pay for any repair..

Ant

Thanks for the info. Does anybody know a good engine mechanic in Santiago area for a valve job?

Last edited:

Drperson

Sep 19, 2008

I went there to have him put in 2 lines from my transmission to the rad. It was done well at a good price. I was happy thanks for the tip

If you make an apt make sure you speak to the owner himself though