Exchange rate at SDQ?

gas

Jul 28, 2013
I'll have at most 5000 pesos to exchange, probably less. If the rate isn't too bad, like the high 30s, I'll exchange at SDQ. Today's my last day here for a while and I don't want to run out of pesos. I couldn't find the rate at SDQ on the internet

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
I'll have at most 5000 pesos to exchange, probably less. If the rate isn't too bad, like the high 30s, I'll exchange at SDQ. Today's my last day here for a while and I don't want to run out of pesos. I couldn't find the rate at SDQ on the internet

Unless you go to Ban Reservas, you will be bent over @ SDQ, why would you need to BUY Pesos at the airport? I assume SDQ = SDQ airport?

When you say "exchange Pesos", that means BUYING dollars, very cryptic post fellow.
What are you looking to buy and where?

Ask your real estate agent to change your money, LOL. I am sure he will give you a great tasa after your glowing review.

gas

Jul 28, 2013
Okay Tamborista, apparently the sun has gotten to your brain here. At best, your manners leave, uh, something to be desired. Why are you like this?

I stated I am leaving from SDQ. While I could have been clearer and less cryptic, it is mostly apparent that I am exchanging pesos to USD. In any event, there is no reason to be mean-spirited, not the first time.

To be perfectly clear, I want to exchange DOP to USD at the airport located in Santo Domingo commonly known as SDQ. I would like to get an idea of the exchange rate. Thank you.

Aug 6, 2006
They have crappy exchange rates. As I recall, this September 30th, they offered to Buy pesos at 51 and sell them at 36. But they proudly claim to have "no commissions". I suggest you exchange you pesos at a bank in the city for the best deal. The rates after you go through customs are even worse than before you do, should you insist on exchanging them. If you will return to the DR soon, you could keep a thousand pesos so you won't get diddled the next time you come.

It's your money, do as you wish.

gas

Jul 28, 2013
Yeah, I guess I'll hold on to the pesos. I was able to find the exchange rate at SDQ and it's 35 something. Thanks for the response.

jabejuventus

Bronze
Feb 15, 2013
Unless you go to Ban Reservas, you will be bent over @ SDQ, why would you need to BUY Pesos at the airport? I assume SDQ = SDQ airport?

When you say "exchange Pesos", that means BUYING dollars, very cryptic post fellow.
What are you looking to buy and where?

Ask your real estate agent to change your money, LOL. I am sure he will give you a great tasa after your glowing review.

I was "bent over" once (and never again) @SDQ. I needed to buy $3,000US worth of DR pesos. I thought to buy @SDQ for security reasons. When I checked the "street" exchanges I realized how much I was gashed: It was something akin to sticker shock. I wouldn't worry about the difference in exchanging 5,000RD though. Expect around $110US as opposed to maybe closer to $120US in the "street" ("street" includes banks).

Aug 6, 2006
I have observed that most of those exchanging at SDQ appear to be European tourists dressed for a far colder climate, which I take to indicate that they have not been to the DR.

Here in Miami, you can sometimes get pesos at a good rate at Abbot Foreign Exchange 230 NE 1st St. Call first 305 374 2336. He always has a good rate on Euros and loonies. It's a ma and pa shop, and there is at least one competing exchange shop down the street. If you go to Cuba, avoid getting diddled on CUCs by bringing in Euros or Loonies, but never reveal that you are going to Cuba, becauese it is technically illegal to exchange money when going there. This will save you 25% or so. The malls here and the airport have crappy rates.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
I was "bent over" once (and never again) @SDQ. I needed to buy $3,000US worth of DR pesos. I thought to buy @SDQ for security reasons. When I checked the "street" exchanges I realized how much I was gashed: It was something akin to sticker shock. I wouldn't worry about the difference in exchanging 5,000RD though. Expect around $110US as opposed to maybe closer to $120US in the "street" ("street" includes banks).

That must have cost you RD15K, OUCH, I might not admit this on here.
Thanks for your honesty, we have a lot of fiction on here these days.

Perhaps you can teach Sr Flatulator a few cambio basics?
He has not had a hot shower in a month, I feel sorry for his airplane neighbor.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Unless a few dollars will, "Make Or Break" you, get laid on the way to the airport!
Give him/her a nice "Tip" and be on your way!
"Much Adue About, "NADA"!!!!
IMHO!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Los Lobos

Mar 8, 2011
If you change at the airport change by the kiosk next to the tourist card desk. I believe it is Banco Reservas. Always better rate than the first exchange desk you see when walking to immigrations and the one after you clear immigrations. Usually close to what banks outside the airport are offering.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
If you change at the airport change by the kiosk next to the tourist card desk. I believe it is Banco Reservas. Always better rate than the first exchange desk you see when walking to immigrations and the one after you clear immigrations. Usually close to what banks outside the airport are offering.

The OP is leaving, not arriving!

Apr 13, 2011
Stop at any bank or western union on your way to the airport - exchange the pesos there for dollars - it will be a better rate than exchanging at the airport.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
The lower the rate, the more dollars you will get. Forget 35, that is to exchange Dollars to Pesos. Your rate will be a lot higher to give you less dollars. Keep the pesos, you will be back.

MiamiDRGuy

Bronze
May 19, 2013
Do me a favor, never, I mean NEVER do exchange at SDQ airport at once.

Reason: They rob you and make a huge profit if you did.

Solution:

Send a wire transfer to a bank in DR if you have one, or send a money transfer via Western Union or Xoom to yourself in DR or someone who can pick it up or lastly, get a BlueBird with AmEx and add funds in it and you can use it almost anywhere in the world for no fee.

Just my suggestion!