when is a good time to start our annual xmas death pool?

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
As far as I know, we don't do a "Death Pool" at Christmas time.
Maybe we should, now that they can drink in the streets 24/7 starting on Dec. 10th.
We always do the DR1 "Death Toll" for "Semana Santa".
They started early this year, a toddler died a few days ago of alcohol intoxication.
She drank a bottle of "Malta" that was filled with alcohol and left in the home.
Her parents must have been so sad, knowing that "God" had taken their daughter away.
"Si Dios Quiere", is the "fallback", position for the,"No Fui Yo"!! defense.
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
it was a second child in a week to die from alcohol poisoning...

i love the comments in diario libre. they seem to suggest that people will drink too much because they can. as if it was not an option not to drink. eh. i will resurrect this thread in time for christmas so we can place bets. maybe a winner could get a bottle of ron?

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Before anyone wants to post telling us how "Disgusting" it is that we would place "Bets" about the # of lives lost here in the DR, "DON't"!!!!!
We have seen many of those posts over the years!!!!
Our, "Purpose" is to draw attention to how the Dominicans themselves, senselessly kill themselves, especially during the holidays!
It would not bother me if they just got blind drunk and killed themselves, but the "Innocent" die, just like the guilty!
AND, the"so called" DR government, is a willing "Enabler"!
"Dozens will die, so let's make it more convenient 24/7!!!!
"Dominican "LOGIC"??????????
"WTF"!
Be SAFE.
Stay home!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
sometimes only the most drunk will survive as during accidents they bodies are relaxed. chillin'. hence less damage upon impact.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
this year there will be no restrictions on sales of alcohol during christmas, according to diario libre:
Venta de bebidas alcoh?licas sin restricciones a partir del 10 de diciembre - DiarioLibre.com
dominican government is supporting the economy, as it seems. or maybe again, making a fake announcement that will be correcter later after outcry from humble votes to show that the new president listens and cares.

Yeah, I don't get it why the government allows this every Christmas season. Are they more interested in revenue than the quality of life for their citizens? Most likely. I guess their philosophy is keep them dizzy and numb. What's a few people not making it into 2014? There are more where they came from.

LTSteve

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
no no no. don't blame the government for the shortcomings of its own people. this is a situation when parents leave for the weekend and their teen kid stays at home. what parents think is that the kid will have a lesson in stupidity. what kid thinks is NOW WE F**KING PARTY!!!! parents try to help out, give credit, show what a responsible behaviuor is. kid thinks of a keg of beer and vomiting behind the sofa.

in my country there are no limits on sales of alcohol during holidays yet people do not kill each other in drink induced rage and do not drive home sloshed leaving behind a trail of lifeless victims.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Enforcement of strict "Drunk Driving Laws" has made a HUGE improvement in lowering (I almost said "Accident", but if your drunk, it Ain't No Accident!)
In "civilized countries", never happen here!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Yeah, I don't get it why the government allows this every Christmas season. Are they more interested in revenue than the quality of life for their citizens? Most likely. I guess their philosophy is keep them dizzy and numb. What's a few people not making it into 2014? There are more where they came from.

LTSteve

People should be allowed to do whatever they want to do to themselves. Laws should prevent people from doing harm to others.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Oh puleeaze...these rules about not serving alcohol after a certain hour are stupid and don't help in any way to reduce anything. Oh yeah they do contribute to something and that would be a higher rate of drug usage because now people want to get a buzz sooner, a higher rate of drunkenness because they think "I better get all my drinking done as quickly as possible", and of course it contributes to the police bribing businesses that want to stay open later than the decreed hour (which many do).

You want to save lives? Then don't focus on drinking. Focus on putting the hammer down on those who drive drunk, those who drive a motorcycle without a helmet (The biggest cause of death in The DR by far), those who are micro-trafficking drugs and killing each others and innocent victims.

I think many of you didn't live in The DR before this stupid law was passed, but back then bars could stay open and serve alcohol as long as they wished. Guess what most would still close around 2-3 AM, because most people don't party past that time anyway. Those who wanted to continue to party later than that would find one of the few bars that would stay open and do their partying there. Everyone would leave at their own time trickling out.

Nowadays the bar closes at 2:00 AM, so everyone is kicked out at once. People don't want to go home yet so everyone mills around in front of the bars and take their bottles and drinks and cars to sit around outside and listen to loud music in the public space. Because of these throngs of people hanging out I see many more fights nowadays once they close and everyone spills out onto the streets than back in the days when everyone left at their own time.

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
A pet peeve a mine is the fact that certain bars announce "last call for alcohol" at 3:50AM and at 4:00AM all lights go on.

That person that ordered a drink is going to have to throw away or gulp it down. Imagine ordering a long island ice tea and having to gulp it down to not waste the cash. Now that person might get behind a car.

In the old Copacabana days, last call was at 3:45AM but the Copa stayed open until 5:00AM. That gave us plenty of time to enjoy that last drink and get our dance off.

Those were the days!!!!!!

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
in london (possibly whole of the UK) the last call came around 11 pm. pubs would close at midnight or so. that left you an hour to finish your drink. of course the issue was that many people would order several drinks at the last call :)
but no one would drink and then drive home, no no. cabs would be ordered. that's because no one would arrive in a car. people would walk or go to the pub closest to work having used public transport in the morning.

here in DR you arrive in your own car and you leave in your own car.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I DO remember the "OLD DAYS" both here in the DR, and at the "Copa"!
In those days here in the DR, if you went to a bar/disco/nightclub, if you got there before midnight, you were the only one there!
When drunks left at 3,4,or 5 am., they only killed each other.
The "Good People" were long since in their beds!
I just think it's not a great idea, to Encourage Drinking all night long.
Everyone also has "Dinero" in December, that, by law, must be spent on "Booze"!
AND, if you think it's going to be bad for, "La Navidad", just wait until
Semana Santa"!!!!
Only a few days to kill dozens.
And they are drunk from "Dawn To Dawn", and driving at super sonic speeds on all roads and highways!
It think we should bet on the "Highest number of people killed in any one crash".
I say 7!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i think we should just move semana santa to december and have only one drunk bloodfest a year, not two.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004

LTSteve

No question, like Lays Potato Chips, they will 'make more'. Everyone should have the right to do what they want to themselves. When they harm others, however, they should suffer and suffer very harsh consequences.