Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default A good, reliable carpenter needed on the North Coast

Hello everyone, I am looking for a good, reliable, creative yet organised carpenter on the North Coast (Puerto Plata, Sosua & Cabarete). All suggestions will be very appreciated.

The kitchen will be contemporary, sleek, MDF (have a very clear idea).
    The bathroom will base on natural stone & unique textures such as raw wood, cement, stone (have an idea yet we are open to suggestions or even a small revolution of our ideas).
    The bedroom remains unclear.

Thank you!

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

MDF in the DR? Hmmm. Why?

Cannot help with any recommendations since except for one fellow who moved, I have not found another good one. Good luck, they will all say they can and many can't.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by windeguy View Post
    MDF in the DR? Hmmm. Why?
    MDF combined with a natural wood and stone/granite looks very cool.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

I understand there are some types of MDF that are moisture resistant. I have never seen it used here to build anything, so you will need to find a good carpenter/cabinet maker who is also familiar with working with MDF. That is probably "un-obtanium".

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

What is your kitchen made of?

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

The wicker store in Sosua has a very good German carpenter and they have MDF (not the pressed wood kind, the real stuff). They make superb cabinets and furniture as well as anything in wicker or rattan or sea grass. But for cabinets you want MDF with granite counter tops.Thats another store.
    Talk to Yvonne who is the owner. She works with your design or theirs and it will be done when she says. Hurry in cuz they will be getting to their busy season and it could take a little longer. Might be a little more expensive but you will not regret it.
    MDF is wonderful stuff, it can be stained or painted and it will never get wood worms.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm seeing mdf used in some very nice kitchens now. Having been around all types of construction all my life, I don't like the stuff. I think you'll see a lot of it getting ripped out in a few years.

IKEA has a world wide love affair with mdf - including int he DR. Their stuff will def be being replaced in this climate. I've seen the finish start to delaminate just a couple weeks after being delivered. Probably a cheaper mdf then higher priced cabs are being built out of though. But people keep buying it.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ula View Post
    Oak. You can still do whatever finish you want. But bugs should leave it alone.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default MDF on the North Coast - Moderated Domestic Fascination

Quote Originally Posted by ctrob View Post
    IKEA has a world wide love affair with mdf - including int he DR. Their stuff will def be being replaced in this climate. I've seen the finish start to delaminate just a couple weeks after being delivered. Probably a cheaper mdf then higher priced cabs are being built out of though. But people keep buying it.
    IKEA is famous for a quality matching its prices - low. It is ok if your budget is limited / you have different priorities but otherwise I would recommend searching for other options. Of course, this is more time and energy consuming - I think my hair will be grey very soon!

We found a great carpenter experienced in fabricating MDF furnitures, especially for the North Coast area. I have seen his kitchen made many years ago, still looking great which is a big challenge here. I will be able to share recommendations after our kitchen is made, installed and tested. So far everything is looking promising.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ula View Post
    What seems to be a very hard pine, could be locally sourced wood but I have no idea.
    We built some apartments and they were also done in a type of pine with fairly prominent knots.

I would never think to use MDF because I know how maids wash things here. Imagine using a fire house for cleaning. Good luck with yours. Hopefully you do all of the cleaning yourself.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast