Why did Medina cut continuing the Metro?

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Why did Medina cut continuing the Metro?

The Presidential Legal Advisor, Cesar Pina Toribio, said yesterday, Wednesday 20 November that President Danilo Medina "had his reasons" for excluding the second Metro line from the 2014 Budget. Pina Toribio spoke to reporters from El Caribe in response to comments by Diego de Moya Canaan, who said that Medina would pay a high political cost for not continuing to fund the construction of the Metro. "Of course De Moya Canaan is the president of the Dominican Chamber of Construction, which has certain interests in the extension of the Santo Domingo Metro," said Pina Toribio. Line 2 was originally budgeted at RD$4 billion for 2014, but the President cut it back to RD$1.2 billion. As a result of the budget cut, the Transport Reorganization Office (Opret) withdrew the heavy machinery and personnel working on the line that was due to cross the Ozama River and take the Metro into Santo Domingo East.

I heard from a good source Metro is not only gone from the 2014 budget, but also from the 2015 and 2016 budget.

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
Yup, the government is facing a difficult economic situation and there are more pressing matters.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
The DR's National Debt, is now 45% of the Gross national Product!!!!!!
That's WHY!!!!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
Netherlands national debt is 65% of GDP

USA's national debt is 108% of GDP.

Anyway, I know there is (and was) no money for the metro, my point is that Danilo is basically killing Leonel's project for the rest of his administration. Smart move maybe? If leonel comes back in 2016 and finishes line 2 and starts line 3, spending all the budget, Danilo can come back in 2020 and won't be affected by Leonel's big spending.

sgtjosephmiller

Jan 7, 2012
don't worry theres enough conchitos for people to move around and support the folks who actually work for a living.people got around before the metro and they will manage now with one.lol

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
metro is a great thing for SD. but so it happens that danilo is after the votes traditionally supporting PDR. he's been worming his way into the hearts of campesinos since day one. soon there will be no one to vote for PRD but hippo. because we all know that crybaby miguelito votes PLD...

Aug 19, 2004
Santo Domingo can't afford it. A dispersed city with no defined central area/downtown such as Santo Domingo would be better served by a good bus network supported now by the two Metro lines. This project was more about glamour and not having to dealing with the unions than solving the transport problems of Santo Domingo.

A proper transport stratgey would deal with land use planning, service provision etc (why you need to travel so much) + pedestrian links amongst otehr things. Just building a few tunnels solves nothing.

Oct 13, 2003
instagram.com
Reasons:

1. It is a huge drain on economic resources better spent elsewhere (education, medical)
2. It only benefits SDQ, thusly allocating more than a proportional share of GDP to SDQ
3. It operates at a huge annual deficit

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
I heard from a good source Metro is not only gone from the 2014 budget, but also from the 2015 and 2016 budget.

They finally realized the money is better spend in the POP/Santiago area and will immediately finish the Santiago Bypass and the Cruise ship terminal, and a modern hospital in POP. Happy Funny Friday.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
gee, thanks for the small print at the end. i was just about to burst with laughter.

yet somehow i feel you single highhandedly crashed my hopes and dreams. it's a good thing i have 6 cartons of rum in a wardrobe. now excuse me as i drink myself under the table to cuddle with dust bunnies.

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
.....deleted, too not PC :)

Last edited: