obtaining residency in The DR

amstellite

Bronze
Sep 5, 2007
I m sure it s been covered but I can t locate a link clarifying something..I have the forms and info on what to get to submit, but just need to know if I can start the process here in the US while I m still here and so far away from a date to leave. I know I need to do it here to begin with, but how far in advance?I retire in a couple of years or so, so I have some time. If I start this early, will there be any benefit for me ?and who can do this? Do I have to go through a lawyer and pay ?
I have dual citizenship here in the US also, is that an issue?

As far as i know starting the residency for the 90 day residency in the US would be of no use to do too soon because it only lasts 90 days from the day they issue it. (or is it 60 days i forget already)
I moved to the DR from Canada 10 months ago. I started getting all the paper work ready 3 months before we moved, i sent it in a month before we left and got it within 2 weeks and that was at Xmas time between the holidays! As long as you have no contagious diseases or crim record you will be fine. DO NOT PANIC ;-)

I did not use a lawyer in Canada it was easy enough and I am not the smartest person out there!!

I used a lawyer in the DR when i got here to get my year residency which i am still waiting for.
If i could do this all over again I WOULD NOT PAY FOR RESIDENCY AT ALL.
It is a waste of money with no benefits at all for me. It cost us a few thousand for the wife and I for nothing really. I guess when i get my Cedula my wife can put her name in for the cars that you can win at Janets and Playero that's about it!!
My wife volunteers and we are retired and if cops pull you over and ask for stuff i just show them my NEXUS card when i lost my drivers license or my Canada drivers license which i just got renewed on a trip back. They don't know the difference.

WILL NEVER APPLY and waste the money again!!!

amstellite

Bronze
Sep 5, 2007
Glad I asked .... so I should wait till I get there and see about it ????
As far as i know starting the residency for the 90 day residency in the US would be of no use to do too soon because it only lasts 90 days from the day they issue it. (or is it 60 days i forget already)
I moved to the DR from Canada 10 months ago. I started getting all the paper work ready 3 months before we moved, i sent it in a month before we left and got it within 2 weeks and that was at Xmas time between the holidays! As long as you have no contagious diseases or crim record you will be fine. DO NOT PANIC ;-)

I did not use a lawyer in Canada it was easy enough and I am not the smartest person out there!!

I used a lawyer in the DR when i got here to get my year residency which i am still waiting for.
If i could do this all over again I WOULD NOT PAY FOR RESIDENCY AT ALL.
It is a waste of money with no benefits at all for me. It cost us a few thousand for the wife and I for nothing really. I guess when i get my Cedula my wife can put her name in for the cars that you can win at Janets and Playero that's about it!!
My wife volunteers and we are retired and if cops pull you over and ask for stuff i just show them my NEXUS card when i lost my drivers license or my Canada drivers license which i just got renewed on a trip back. They don't know the difference.

WILL NEVER APPLY and waste the money again!!!

Smart

Bronze
Jun 16, 2012
If you are retiring here is residency really worth the hassled, I'm not sure there is any benefit for your circumstances.

Glad I asked .... so I should wait till I get there and see about it ????

OK i should state that if you may want to go the residency route YOU HAVE TO start it in the states with the 90 day residency thing. So you could do that to start out with and see how it goes when you get here if you want to go through with then applying for the year residency.

I just wanted to be legal and have no problems when i brought 8 suitcases of stuff and my 5 animals but i am sure it would have been just as fine without getting the first residency.

I don't want someone to get screwed over b/c of what i am saying!

For us I just don't see a point.

InsanelyOne

Bronze
Oct 21, 2008
The immigration laws change so much I'd wait if I were you. The process may be completely different by the time you retire.

rogerjac

Bronze
Feb 9, 2012
OK i should state that if you may want to go the residency route YOU HAVE TO start it in the states with the 90 day residency thing. So you could do that to start out with and see how it goes when you get here if you want to go through with then applying for the year residency.

I just wanted to be legal and have no problems when i brought 8 suitcases of stuff and my 5 animals but i am sure it would have been just as fine without getting the first residency.

I don't want someone to get screwed over b/c of what i am saying!

For us I just don't see a point.

Com'on quit being a typical Canadian and being sorry for giving your opionon because it might be wrong. I feel the same way about the residency process. When they change the rules and we have to, then I will consider it. Until then I will keep paying the exit fees.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i read the title of this thread as "obtaining intelligence in DR" and i choked on my beer. gosh. i guess i need another one, eh, to put me in a more forgiving mood.

anyway, residency. i do not think anyone here has honest straight to god answer for that. people always seem to weasel their way around laws. theoretically you should stay at home unless you've been here a while, as far as i can make it out. but then nothing ever is clear here.

charlise

Bronze
Nov 1, 2012
Been here 2 years and I have no intention on spending money on residency... I don't see the point.
I brought my stuff in 2 trips 3 months appart. First trip I had 4 big luggages and 1 crate with 2 himalyan cats inside.
Second trip I had 8 luggages.

The only thing I had to pay taxes on was on the 3rd trip, July 2012 when I brought back my 37" TV in a hockey pouch...

The rest I bought here, furniture, some clothes, day to day hygiene products, etc.
So far so good, never been bothered by police, officials, etc...

I get my prescriptions pills that I need at a pharmacy in Puerto Plata, they have everything I need so... life is good.

I dont see the point to "legalize" my situation. I work in translation by Internet so... why change that... Like they say " Why fix it when it's ain't broken" ???

Stefan1983

Nov 6, 2013
Been here 2 years and I have no intention on spending money on residency... I don't see the point.
I brought my stuff in 2 trips 3 months appart. First trip I had 4 big luggages and 1 crate with 2 himalyan cats inside.
Second trip I had 8 luggages.

The only thing I had to pay taxes on was on the 3rd trip, July 2012 when I brought back my 37" TV in a hockey pouch...

The rest I bought here, furniture, some clothes, day to day hygiene products, etc.
So far so good, never been bothered by police, officials, etc...

I get my prescriptions pills that I need at a pharmacy in Puerto Plata, they have everything I need so... life is good.

I dont see the point to "legalize" my situation. I work in translation by Internet so... why change that... Like they say " Why fix it when it's ain't broken" ???

Could you get contracts with company's for internet/tv and stuff? How did you arrange that?

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
that luggage thing had me thinking... when i moved here i had one suitcase of 32 kg (limits, no additional charge thanks to lovely latvian girl at check-in), one hand luggage (that i was able to lift above my head without slipping a dick), a small flat bag with clavin and hobbes comic books i was hiding under my hoodie (i am not crazy, my mother had me tested) and a small handbag (not to raise suspicions).

12 pieces of luggage? gee. i think i am low maintenance. :)