No Time Restrictions On Alcohol Sales During Christmas Period

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
From today's Sosua News:

Interior Minister Jos? Ram?n Fadul said that this year again the time restrictions on the sale of alcoholic beverages will be lifted. Between 10 December 2013 and 8 January 2014 there will not be any time limits and alcohol can be sold without any curfew. 'We have no other interest than to give the people the right to enjoy the Holidays but within the permitted standards!' according to Fadul. However, he announced tighter controls on the wearing of firearms and the presence of minors in bars.

Smart

Bronze
Jun 16, 2012
does this mean there are still limits on noise levels ???

From my understanding there is a restriction even on Friday and Saturday nights, being after 12 the noise level is reduced until closing at 2am. I will hazard a guess that they will restrict the noise the same, but the music can play all night, which it never does, not as the norm. Colmados need to sleep as well, but nightclubs in the likes of Sosua and cabarete will probably be 6 am closing, in the cities I'd imagine life carries on as usual, most of the clubs on Venezuela often stay open until 6am, and a few around ZC have lock ins till the early hours but not every weekend.
I was down Venezuela on Tuesday night until 5am Wednesday morning at a champagne gig, lots of ice buckets with pink champagne and drunk party goes. I'd imagine when people are paying RD7000+ per bottle and it is flowing like small beers anywhere else all night, paying the local law to stay away is rather easy.
There will be restrictions but how much they want to pay to keep you spending will determine if they obey, or the PN enforce.

IMO

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
No ban on booze starting today

Santo Domingo.- Starting today Tuesday the businesses that sell alcoholic beverages can do so regardless of the hour, as the Interior and Police Ministry announced last month.

Minister Jos? Ram?n Fadul said ban will be enforced until January 8 as previous years, ?so that we can enjoy the Christmas period.?

But the official warned that the patrols around those businesses in these will be doubled to prevent violence and keep out minors and people with mischief.

He said the lifting of the ban will help orchestras and musical groups to make money for their services, usually in high demand during this period.

Vakero already started making big money...

http://www.dominicantoday.com/image/article/18/209x400/0/011DBD1A-3E38-4154-A931-CEF25DB237C7.jpeg

http://www.dominicantoday.com/dr/local/2013/12/10/49915/No-ban-on-booze-starting-today

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
The "BLOOD" is on their hands!!!!!!!!!
Why don't they eliminate the "Legal Age Of Consent" so 13 year old girls can make some money "During the holidays"?????
Decriminalize all "DRUGS", so the dealers can make more money, and more of us can, "Enjoy the Holidays"???
"Dumbinican Logic"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Seacreature

Jul 27, 2013
www.dynagirlonline.com
There's a ban on kids in bars? Had no clue. We took my kid to a sports bar to watch some football a few weeks back, no one said anything and they treated him like royalty! The waitress even brought him his own 'special' alcohol free margarita! Bavaro though. Could be a regional thing I guess.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
It's not the alcohol that is the problem. It is people getting behind the wheel. Why not let people wear guns into bars like in the old west days. Maybe they would eliminate some of the problem. The only stipulation is that you have to ride a horse to the bar. This would cut down on accidents but the streets would be very messy. Why does enjoying the holiday and drinking go hand in hand in the DR? I know, because it is one thing rich and poor can do equally.

LTSteve

sayanora

Silver
Feb 22, 2012
It's not the alcohol that is the problem. It is people getting behind the wheel. Why not let people wear guns into bars like in the old west days. Maybe they would eliminate some of the problem. The only stipulation is that you have to ride a horse to the bar. This would cut down on accidents but the streets would be very messy. Why does enjoying the holiday and drinking go hand in hand in the DR? I know, because it is one thing rich and poor can do equally.

LTSteve

The rich and anyone with any brain cells left don't even bother leaving their houses in December. Not sure if the rich would ever be caught dead drinking in the businesses that take advantage of the new hours anyways. But I must say, I'm invited to 3-4 small house parties a week during the entire month, and it's nice to call the colmado to deliver some beer at 3am if the party wants to continue on!

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
The rich and anyone with any brain cells left don't even bother leaving their houses in December

not exactly true. dominicans are very family oriented and most will go out and drive to visit the family. but i agree that the pure instinct is to stay home. i would risk saying that after 8 pm on the 24th most of the drivers are at various states of being skunk drunk. yikes.

St. Bernard

Dec 8, 2013
Why does enjoying the holiday and drinking go hand in hand in the DR? I know, because it is one thing rich and poor can do equally.

LTSteve

Do these not go hand in hand all over the world. I have seen English, American, Canadian, Russian folk far more times in a state of uncontrollable drunkenness than I have witnessed Dominicans. Infact I was in the London bar in the zona colonial last night and witnessed a guy walk outside and smack a guy walking down the street for no apparent reason, he then turned around walk back in sat back at the bar before dropping his empty glass on the floor, spitting and then continue to insult a group of locals women who wouldn't pay him attention. I don't think I've ever seen a dominican become abusive through alcohol, nor fighting through alcohol. Seems quite a regular occurrence from foreigners here.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i think it's played differently here. in poland i have seen plenty of people who passed out drunk, never seen that in DR. but then polaks tend to be quite chilled when drunk, mainly because they become all soft around edges, tearful and all loving. and they are quite capable of planning so they get drunk all the way to the oblivion.

dominicans tend to get only half way drunk. not happy drunk, angry drunk. and i am pretty sure lots of arguments and accidents happen because of that. you do not see them vomiting on the side of the street but you see them being all macho.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Reminder to "Swiss Dog", your agenda about posting how ,"It's worse everywhere else than here in the DR", every time there is a thread about the DR "Customs" you don't agree with is getting OLD!!!!!!
I guess you are still in the, "Dominicans are "Poor", but Happy"! phase.
You need to live here a little longer before you realize what the country, and it's people are REALLY like, Assuming you actually DO Live Here, which I DOUBT!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC