Christmas on the North Coast

PaGuyinDr

Sep 2, 2013
I will be spending my first Christmas in the DR this year. Hopefully the first of many many more. I have been stalking DR1 lately and I've read some post about the holiday season in the DR. But I have a couple of questions ( sorry if they have been dealt with before in another thread ). What is open and what is closed during the season? Besides Christmas day, are restaurants / bars open ? Will the beaches in Cabarete and Sosua be crowded or empty? Are there any special concerts / events that I should definitely try to hit? Should I expect not to be able to do much of anything? Should I pack my snow boots?

Any info would be greatly appreciated. I would hate to waste my entire vacation knitting or wittling.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i think that xmas should not be celebrated in the tropics. it only makes sense with cold and snow, somehow.

anyways, most large places will be closed on the 25th. some businesses will be open as usual (some pharmacies, colmados, restaurants) depending on the owner. people mainly drink, east some and then drink. then drink some more. no sober soul around. oh, the joys of christmas.

PaGuyinDr

Sep 2, 2013
This will be my first christmas outside of cold and snow, so I am more than just a bit curious. Funny you say that about the holidays in the tropics. When i tell folks up here in the North East i'll be in the DR for the holidays, they are envious.
Go figure. Anyway, perhaps you're right.

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
It's just a matter of preference whether to spend the holidays in the tropics or in the frigid North.;)

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
It's just a matter of preference whether to spend the holidays in the tropics or in the frigid North.;)

Well now that you put it THAT way...... :laugh:

If I had my 'drothers', we'd be there for weeks already, but our daughter insisted we be here for Christmas....

Olly

Bronze
Mar 12, 2007
PagoinDR ,
Look at the North Coast Calender on DR1 - there is a lot coming on to celebrate the Feastive Season. Also check out Sosua News - Que Paso Sos?a-News on the right hand side of the page - all the stuff for Christmas comes on there!

Deviant - DV* - I have a commercial size walk in deep freeze if you are really looking for Snow ! Just joking !

Merry Christmas

Olly and the Team

rogerjac

Bronze
Feb 9, 2012
PagoinDR ,
Look at the North Coast Calender on DR1 - there is a lot coming on to celebrate the Feastive Season. Also check out Sosua News - Que Paso Sos?a-News on the right hand side of the page - all the stuff for Christmas comes on there!

Deviant - DV* - I have a commercial size walk in deep freeze if you are really looking for Snow ! Just joking !

Merry Christmas

Olly and the Team

You should rent it out by the hour to all the people who miss home or the Dominicans who would like to experience the cold. I'm sure you could make a few bucks from people but no repeat customers

PaGuyinDr

Sep 2, 2013
awesome! Olly thanks a lot. This will come in handy. I added to my favorites. BTW, i couldn't help but chuckle at the "unlimited party fun at christmas". The little article talks about no restrictions on the sale of alchohol, but there will be "tighter controls on the wearing of fire arms"....... Comforting.......

caribeman

Dec 26, 2011
Enjoy meeting new people/cultures
If you need Xmas cheer or drear.. whichever way you look at it.. Visit all the decked out malls in Santiago, La Sirena in POP and then go Xmas eve to Morua Mai in Sosua for a good dinner and a piece of pie.

Holidays are nice here. Different but nice...and longer. Decorating started in October and lasts til early Jan

You can decorate a Palm Tree here too.. just harder to get the star wayyyyy up there.

buggabagang

Jan 5, 2010
Assuming you are heading down from PA? I head down from CT every Christmas. Most things are open and you'll have a great time...leave the Snow Boots at home!

Sep 4, 2012
Chritmas in the DR = family gathering, loud music, food and desorden.

Chritmas in the USA = shopping, shopping and more shopping with family gathering.

Beenaway

May 27, 2013
Does anyone know if Caribetours are running buses to Santo Domingo on the 25th?
If not then the 26th?

I cannot see on their slightly crap website..

Thanks in advance for your help people....

amstellite

Bronze
Sep 5, 2007
awesome! Olly thanks a lot. This will come in handy. I added to my favorites. BTW, i couldn't help but chuckle at the "unlimited party fun at christmas". The little article talks about no restrictions on the sale of alchohol, but there will be "tighter controls on the wearing of fire arms"....... Comforting.......

does the unlimited opening and sale of alcohol refer only to sosua, or will it be the same for all parts of the country?