More From Sosua News On Windows/Shutters For Bars

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I have no trouble imagining the comments in response to this piece in today's Sosua News:

"Walking along the bars and restaurants in the main street Pedro Clisante we saw that the enclosing of the bars is almost completed. The bar of Fat Herman is now completely blinded. The entrance to the cigar shop however, where Herman usually sits at the bar, is more accessible, the steady guests sit there beside him. The bar El Flow is completely enclosed with glass and further modernized with a big renovation. In the bar there are some air conditioners so it is rather too cold then stuffy. During the traditional Monday Karaoke night it was pretty busy. The Rumba Bar has its glass wall. But yet doesn't have doors. The frames are already installed. In the afternoon, during happy hour, it is still very busy there, especially on Thursday afternoon after the big boys from New York have arrived. Bar Central has a different solution for the enclosing. This blinding is made of wooden folding shutters that stay open mostly.

"Luckily, the loyal customers of Bar Central, despite these unsightly shutters, visit the bar anyway. The Merenguebar is now also almost blinded with glass walls. It is a large bar where you, as you sit inside, not notice that it is closed off from the street. And the main bar of the vice mayor Willy? Willy was the first to start enclosing. Currently, the entrance doors are installed and then the entire bar is blinded.
Does it help?
Stays the nightlife now inside and invisible in the evening for the 'massively walking along families with children'? The crackling mopeds still race dangerously in both directions through the street. The sidewalks are filled with noisy lanky youth and ladies strolling around. On the nuisance on the street (dangerous mopeds and noise) these blinds are no solution and this is what effects the 'walking families' the most."

If you want to see the photos of the bars: Sos?a-News

However, El Flow now has a new name and a "new concept" according to a notice posted on the front window.

Seamonkey

Bronze
Oct 6, 2009
Wow, finally an accurate story published in Sosua News. So true, all windows have been installed, but yet the motoconchos ride against traffic, popping wheelies and nothing is done.

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Wow, finally an accurate story published in Sosua News. So true, all have been installed, but yet the motoconchos ride against traffic, popping wheelies and nothing is done.
I guess it was easier to control 10 bars than 500 hookers. Hope these idiots realize that they just made things worse. There are more hookers on the street now than before. Now instead of looking in the bars and seeing the hookers, families walking the streets with their 9 year olds at 10:00PM will be tripping all over them. The tourism people are total idiots at best.

May 29, 2006
What's needed is another place like OXY2 to draw the chicas out of downtown... Now that was a nice place. My understanding is there was some issue where a rival bar owner got busted for coke in a dubious case and then OXY2 burned down under suspicious circumstances some time later..

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Idiots only if you think this is the end of it.
There is a longer game being played here
For sure it's not the end. It's the beginning of a long painful ordeal. No problem with getting rid of the thrash. BUT they should start at the source. How is punishing the bars and tourists going to help get rid of the hookers. Do like they do in Bavaro etc. (So I heard) keep them off the streets untill 10 PM. No tourist comes here to sit in a hot closed in bar. sh*t, they do that at home. Time will tell. We will all know in 5 years or so.

Seamonkey

Bronze
Oct 6, 2009
I guess it was easier to control 10 bars than 500 hookers. Hope these idiots realize that they just made things worse. There are more hookers on the street now than before. Now instead of looking in the bars and seeing the hookers, families walking the streets with their 9 year olds at 10:00PM will be tripping all over them. The tourism people are total idiots at best.

You got it Eddy. Now the streets and sidewalks are full of people cause nobody wants to go into the enclosed bars. This plan of enclosing the bars has backfired in a big way so far. So now there will be more trash, junk and whores on PC. Next, they will not allowed people on the street????

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
The places don't look so bad... but have to admit I wish I had gotten to the N.Coast to see it as it was. Lesson learned: Things change, (even in the D.R.). Don't wait for tomorrow. I better get up to Samana before the whales get evicted or decide to vacation somewhere else!

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Wow, finally an accurate story published in Sosua News.

yes. and even the influence of master yoda on the grammar is much less painful. more on the subject, this is becoming a farce, like OJ's trial. every new legislation is met with loop hole defeat. it takes more than that to revive tourism. but heck, it's hilarious to watch. stay tuned.

Smart

Bronze
Jun 16, 2012

Longer game, it's been being played for about 7 years up to now, chopping and changing everything from the law to the hookers the street and the bars. I was thinking about having a trip over the north side over the Xmas and new year but the whole idea is to sit on the street or hang over the railings and watch the show, talk sh1t and have a laugh with some of the entertainment. Stuffed inside is not my idea of a nice time on a coastal resort, not to mention when it does kick off and people need to get out quick and out of harms way (and we all know it does from time to time get serious) well, people are going to get hurt aren't they.

Vinyasa

Bronze
Dec 22, 2010
www.kieranbarry.com
It sure does Smart....i was sitting in Merengue when it kicked off in El Flow last year and someone got shot and killed....and i have to say that im very glad i wasnt stuck in a closed bar with some idiot popping caps off

FritoBandito

Bronze
Dec 19, 2009
"...it is still very busy there, especially on Thursday afternoon after the big boys from New York have arrived."

Funniest thing I've read all day........hardy hardy har.........and Jet Blew.

drescape24

Bronze
Nov 2, 2011
"...it is still very busy there, especially on Thursday afternoon after the big boys from New York have arrived."

Funniest thing I've read all day........hardy hardy har.........and Jet Blew.

I got a good laugh on that sentence as well, I was wondering if anyone was going to get offended.

drescape24

wrecksum

Bronze
Sep 27, 2010
I just absoloootely adooore the 'New Sosua"!

So fresh, energetic, youthful and sparkling with new life..!!
Such class, such sophistication!!
The new luxury goods plazas, the high class marinas with the mega yachts, Gucci and Vuitton at every turn and the divine champagne, caviar and juice bars..
Pretty and chic young Dominican lawyers and bank managers exchanging Sartre and Nietzsche with super rich and sophisticated foreign visitors over a fine Margaux, Cristal Roederer or an illicit Absinthe till the wee hours of the morrow before hopping on their private jets back to the banality of Monaco and Monte Carlo.
Quel Chagrin a quitter ce pays!

In yer dreams Ms Sindico....!!

ramesses

Gold
Jun 17, 2005

Like everything else here...that long game is measured in decades.

They don't think things out, go about things in the wrong order, it gets all messed up and they give up after everything is fubar.

May 29, 2006
1044842_10201259736592959_1633380075_n.jpg

Salsafan

Bronze
Aug 17, 2011
Don't wait for tomorrow. I better get up to Samana before the whales get evicted or decide to vacation somewhere else!
Each time during my stay in DR I spent less time in Sosua and more in Samana-halfisland. Its not so much Samana pulling but Sosua pushing.