How to protect Plastic Door Sills in my Car?

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
Hi, does anybody have a recommendation what I should / could use to protect the scratched area shown in the pic? And where to get it in DR?

Only thing I found online is some protection tape from 3M. Any other ideas?

f2pu9c.jpg

Jan 9, 2004
Hi, does anybody have a recommendation what I should / could use to protect the scratched area shown in the pic? And where to get it in DR?

Only thing I found online is some protection tape from 3M. Any other ideas?

f2pu9c.jpg

Mike:

Bingo..if you are referring to the 3M Paint Defender Spray Film. It is primarily made to protect paint from chips to the front of the vehicle, but it is also used as a coating on those heavily traversed areas of the vehicle such as your door sill pictured above. Also it can be used on the plastic in the trunk that gets lots of stuff pushed and pulled across it.

Hope this was helpful.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
It won't be too long before the 'baby car' gets out of the diaper phase.

You're washing it regularly , Mike -- I hope.
Tire shine ??

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
Yep, 2 weeks ago Car Wash "Full" treatment. (For the car I mean ;))

And I gave it a shower today. Next week Car Wash again...

It won't be too long before the 'baby car' gets out of the diaper phase.

You're washing it regularly , Mike -- I hope.
Tire shine ??

Jan 9, 2004
Yep, 2 weeks ago Car Wash "Full" treatment. (For the car I mean ;))

And I gave it a shower today. Next week Car Wash again...

Well, If you enjoy babying the vehicle......wash it without soap. Those detergents used in car washes etc., are harsh on paint. Clear water, good sponge, chamois. Separate brush/sponge for the wheels/tires....because of the brake dust.

This is all until the idiot parking next to you flings open his/her door and christens/tatoos your door. I find from that point on, after you calm down, you return to normal about your car.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
You don't have a wife, or any kids, do you???
Why does the word, "Priorities" keep going through my mind???
CCCCCC

ps., "Take Your shoes off"!
Problem Solved!!!!!!

Aug 6, 2006
Duct tape can be used to protect anything, and it is cheap.

Perhaps ugly, but cheap. There is also aluminum tape, less ugly.

The thing I'd take care of if I had a new car would be those plastic headlight lenses. They get clouded and dull in a few years, and you do not want to contemplate how much it costs to replace them. This can be a safety issue as well, as clouded lenses result in dimmer lights.

Duct tape, alas, will not work here, but there is some sort of film that you can use to protect them.

My car is an 85 Benz, and the headlights are glass.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Duct tape can be used to protect anything, and it is cheap.

Perhaps ugly, but cheap. There is also aluminum tape, less ugly.

The thing I'd take care of if I had a new car would be those plastic headlight lenses. They get clouded and dull in a few years, and you do not want to contemplate how much it costs to replace them. This can be a safety issue as well, as clouded lenses result in dimmer lights.

Duct tape, alas, will not work here, but there is some sort of film that you can use to protect them.

My car is an 85 Benz, and the headlights are glass.

duct tape on the sill plate of a nice new car?

i don't think so.

Aug 6, 2006
Door sills are actually a floor. People will walk on gravel, and pointy chips will get stuck in the soles of their shoes and make makes in plastic door sills. I think this is pretty inevitable.

I was not making the duct tape as a serious proposal, but it would work, and it is cheap. It comes in a variety of colors, too.

You could remove it for special occasions. Aluminum tape would be prettier. And clear package tape is pretty much invisible.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Door sills are actually a floor. People will walk on gravel, and pointy chips will get stuck in the soles of their shoes and make makes in plastic door sills. I think this is pretty inevitable.

I was not making the duct tape as a serious proposal, but it would work, and it is cheap. It comes in a variety of colors, too.

You could remove it for special occasions. Aluminum tape would be prettier. And clear package tape is pretty much invisible.

we all enter a car differently. i myself have never stepped on the sill plate while getting in.

Aug 6, 2006
I don't, normally, but some SUVs and pickups are 8" off the ground and occasionally my legs are not long enough to reach over the sill. I don't think people actively try NOT to step on door sills, so eventually they will get stepped on by someone.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I don't, normally, but some SUVs and pickups are 8" off the ground and occasionally my legs are not long enough to reach over the sill. I don't think people actively try NOT to step on door sills, so eventually they will get stepped on by someone.

very true.

wrecksum

Bronze
Sep 27, 2010
I'm Confused.

Is not the sill plate to protect the sill and not itself?
Wear it out and buy new ones.
Ablative material believe it's called.

Aug 6, 2006
I have wife and kid, that's why I want to protect that stuff ;)

Does the welfare of your wife and kids depend on your car having pristine door sills? Really?

I have had 20 cars in my life, and have never done more than wash and wipe the door sills from time to time. But that's me.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Take a chill pill. Wear and tear will happen especially in the DR. I would suggest trading in the car every other month and get a new one. This will cut down on noticeable wear. C'Mon man!!!!!!!!!!

LTSteve

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
They sell "Kits" to resurface plastic lens covers.
"Amazon.com is your friend!
"Armoral" with make your sill plate look like NEW!!!!!!
As well as any plastic, or "HARD", surface in, or outside of your vehicle.
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Until this thread, I never noticed my sills very much. I probably should have running boards on our SUV because I'm very short, when I get into the driver's side my right leg goes right onto the rug, but the left one pushes against the sill. Now you've got me looking at it with a frown........

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
Found it! Thx! :)

They sell "Kits" to resurface plastic lens covers.
"Amazon.com is your friend!
"Armoral" with make your sill plate look like NEW!!!!!!
As well as any plastic, or "HARD", surface in, or outside of your vehicle.
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC