Another "shipping a car" question......

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Talked to our shipper this morning, got all the prices and requirements written down. If we want it in a container, it has to wait for a "consolidated" shipment, so we're just sending it outside. $700 outside, $925 in a consolidated container [with a wait] or over $2k for its own 20' container.

Then she offered me "marine insurance", optional, "if you're concerned about damage". $81USD for each $5,000 your car is worth, so looks like another $350 or so.

I know a lot of you have shipped cars - is this something that we should be buying, or is it a rip-off?

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
Can you put anyting else in the (private) container?

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I didn't have insurance - but I rarely buy/use insurance.

On the other hand hand, a friend shipped to Haiti and they dropped the car during unloading... BOOM, onto the dock

Insurance is insurance - the companies make their money b/c they rarely need to pay.....
when they take in more than they pay out, they keep tye difference.

Thats the business

Jan 9, 2004
Talked to our shipper this morning, got all the prices and requirements written down. If we want it in a container, it has to wait for a "consolidated" shipment, so we're just sending it outside. $700 outside, $925 in a consolidated container [with a wait] or over $2k for its own 20' container.

Then she offered me "marine insurance", optional, "if you're concerned about damage". $81USD for each $5,000 your car is worth, so looks like another $350 or so.

I know a lot of you have shipped cars - is this something that we should be buying, or is it a rip-off?

AE:

My costs just to ship was a little over a $1,000.00 and that included insurance.

The question you need to answer is "do you feel lucky?" If you do not take the insurance, you are in effect self insured on a vehicle which, by your own calculations, is valued at over $20,000.00 USD.

Chances are....everything will go smoothly. But that is the point, there are chances things could go wrong.

This is not like a deductible where you can cap your risk and your loss...this is an all or nothing play. You either insure it at 100% or risk a loss.

How lucky do you feel?

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Don't know what port your vehicle will be shipped from, or how it will get there????
If you drive to Miami,and ship from there, you will find MANY companies shipping to SD.
Has anyone here shipped from Miami, with ins. included, and what did you pay???
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Eugeniefs

Jan 24, 2008
I know one guy, Canadian, who had his own containers.. so he could and did put anything he wanted in it, waited to get his cedula/residency and then sent it. He got a good deal with the insurers as it was his own container but did pay quite a bit (has a large truck, sorry not too good on these things, but almost need a step ladder to get into the cab!) short of the long, the journey was fine... it was the guys in customs who did the most damage as they threw the items out of the container and into the puddle strewn concourse, destroying the wrapping and allowing water to seep into the ditched items. This was in SD about 4 years ago and he had a lawyer who knows the Head of Customs there!

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Don't know what port your vehicle will be shipped from, or how it will get there????
If you drive to Miami,and ship from there, you will find MANY companies shipping to SD.
Has anyone here shipped from Miami, with ins. included, and what did you pay???
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

We're driving the car up to North Jersey, so it will go out of the New York area.

Since neither of us feels especially lucky after the past year recovering from Superstorm Sandy, we're going to buy the marine insurance. If we don't, I'm sure we'd need it.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
AE have you checked with the insurance company you now have and if there's any coverage when this car is in transit?

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
What is the import tax on cars? Does it matter what kind of vehicle it is?

Tax is based on the value of the car. We're bringing ours in with a partial exemption as a 'returning Dominican', we understand the discount is just about the same as what a new DR resident gets [except that's only valid first 6 months of residency]

equinn2823

Sep 30, 2013
is there a drive on drive off boat that leaves from north jersey? i need to ship a tahoe at the end of this month and i live in
south jersey.

We're driving the car up to North Jersey, so it will go out of the New York area.

Since neither of us feels especially lucky after the past year recovering from Superstorm Sandy, we're going to buy the marine insurance. If we don't, I'm sure we'd need it.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I'm in South Jersey too. I can get you the name and number of our shipper in Linden NJ and the name and number of the woman in DR who handles everything from that end. If you send her the shipping info as soon as car leaves, she starts the process from that end. We emailed her copy of car title already.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk