do i need a dominican driving license

frankie90210

Banned
Dec 27, 2012
So ive been here a while now. No accidents no nothing and i get the third degree from a friend i have to get a dominican driving license because i've been here more than 3 months.
I called my insurance agent and they said it didn't matter if I was here for more than 3 months if i had a problem they would honor the contract.
I actually drive on a valid Canadian license issued in 2012.
any other input would be appreciated.
And i have started residency.

thanks

Belle

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Started driving here in 1986, never had a Dom. Lic.
That said, you should get one when you qualify.
I believe you need residency.
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Cedula needed.
You'll be cross-eyed after studying this question.

Many , ,like CCC, have existed for years w/o a RD licence..... others have not.

Some days you take the elevator -- other days , you take the shaft.
C'est la vie..........

Smart

Bronze
Jun 16, 2012
Has anyone with a UK license done the deed? I'd like to know the reality before I make a decision, cost, time and hassle factor?

Anything like the cedula and I'll stay illegal.

frankie90210

Banned
Dec 27, 2012
why do i need one? Does anybody know why? if the insurance company say's they will honor the insurance, why do i need one ffs.

Smart

Bronze
Jun 16, 2012
why do i need one? Does anybody know why? if the insurance company say's they will honor the insurance, why do i need one ffs.

Come on, how long you been here? They can take your money and then still not pay out when you have an accident. Your license is only legal for three months, after that they don't need to and so won't pay out.
Your insurance is on paper, and paper only.

bilko

Aug 5, 2011
Come on, how long you been here? They can take your money and then still not pay out when you have an accident. Your license is only legal for three months, after that they don't need to and so won't pay out.
Your insurance is on paper, and paper only.

What law says your license is only good for 3 months?

Smart

Bronze
Jun 16, 2012
What law says your license is only good for 3 months?

I'm sure it is linked to the expiration of the 90day visa if indeed it is true. I have not changed mine and so just ignore it, like most things I can't be bothered with here. But I really don't know, and so good question, where is this law written exactly?

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
I was stopped by the police and asked for my licence and passport. I only carry a copy of the photo page of the passport and they said they needed to see the visa page as it was illegal to drive here on a UK licence after three months. I told them I had only been here two weeks and apologized for not knowing I had to carry a copy of my visa. At that point they got fed up with my rapidly deteriorating Spanish and let me go, but I was lucky to get away without buying them "lunch".

You can't get a DR licence without a cedula, which is so difficult to obtain now that many people carry on living here with neither.

As for whether your insurance is valid, it seems that it depends on whether the company can be bothered to check your licence if you have an accident. However, I keep mine up to date for the police checks.

Smart

Bronze
Jun 16, 2012
Obviously not that many people change over or there would be more info on it on here.

Frankie your friend seems to be a little bit uptight!
I didn't have any license for months here as
I lost it and I just showed them my nexus card and Amet did not care. I've been pulled over many times and never asked how long I've been here.
If they care one day before my cedula comes I will bribe them, no big deal!
My wife has no license at all and drives more than I do!
I've been told many times that insurance places don't care about your DR license.

Are you even getting your residency?

Oct 13, 2003
instagram.com
As far as I am aware you:

1. Loose legal driving rights if you are 'illegal' in the country... i.e. after your title expires you are not legal to drive anymore

2. When you drive illegal that is grounds for:
a. always being liable in case of accident,
b. not honoring any contractual obligations that have as sine quo non legal status, including insurance

3. You are legal on a tourist visa only for the duration on the visa - 90 days, otherwise you are only legal on a provisional/temporary/permanent residency. Only on a tourist visa you are legal to drive on a valid foreign license, otherwise you need a Dominican license, which you can get only after you get the cedula.

I must say that I am only here on tourist visa's but always drive legally here and personally check/renew all documentation (matricula/insurance/technical status) on my car before I get on the road.

flyinroom

Silver
Aug 26, 2012
This is all well and good until the day you have a serious accident and go running to your insurance company for assistance...
because we all know how willing and anxious they will be to make a big payout...
You can rest assured that they will leave no stone unturned in searching out the way to avoid making any payment.
If it turns out that you were driving without a proper Dominican driver's license....
Well....
I guess you're doomed. :eek:

Oct 13, 2003
instagram.com
Frankie your friend seems to be a little bit uptight!
I didn't have any license for months here as
I lost it and I just showed them my nexus card and Amet did not care. I've been pulled over many times and never asked how long I've been here.
If they care one day before my cedula comes I will bribe them, no big deal!
My wife has no license at all and drives more than I do!
I've been told many times that insurance places don't care about your DR license.

Are you even getting your residency?

You (and others) have been getting away with it, which has been good for you.

However, I believe going legal is ultimately the best course of action, especially if a serious accident happens...

You are aware that there are quite a few accidents on the route you travel to and from Las Canas, are you?

Smart

Bronze
Jun 16, 2012
As far as I am aware you:

1. Loose legal driving rights if you are 'illegal' in the country... i.e. after your title expires you are not legal to drive anymore

2. When you drive illegal that is grounds for:
a. always being liable in case of accident,
b. not honoring any contractual obligations that have as sine quo non legal status, including insurance

3. You are legal on a tourist visa only for the duration on the visa - 90 days, otherwise you are only legal on a provisional/temporary/permanent residency. Only on a tourist visa you are legal to drive on a valid foreign license, otherwise you need a Dominican license, which you can get only after you get the cedula.

I must say that I am only here on tourist visa's but always drive legally here and personally check/renew all documentation (matricula/insurance/technical status) on my car before I get on the road.

That would be great and cover me if it was accurate, I sure hope it is. It seems that this specific topic is never closed with all the boxes ticked and questions answered, out of all topics this one always escapes lingering.
Does anyone have absolute 100% factual info on this?

So if I'm resident with an active UK license then I am legal?

Getting dominican license in SD, how easy, costly, time consuming?

hughatthepub

Mar 13, 2007
It is so easy - and cheap- to get a Dominican License (if you have a full residency) that it's just plain stupid not to do it. It's a two stage process, a very easy theory exam in front of a computer screen, multiple choice and in Spanish of course, but you would need to be pretty stupid to fail it followed by a simple eye test and blood test, then a wait of between 45 days and one year before you convert your provisional license to a full one. you are supposed to do 2 hours of lectures on road safety before you take the test, but I couldn't tell you what this was like as when I went to do it the video projector was bust and or there was a power cut so they just didn't do it. Just renewed mine again, a very simple process. Licenses last for 4 years and allow you to drive in most countries of the world, albeit only for 6 months in the UK after which you will need to apply for a UK license if you haven't already got one. Assumong you get the correct insurance I think it could be a good getout for some moving traffic offences in the UK if you presented the cops with a foriegn license, but don't quote me on that [please]

Oct 13, 2003
instagram.com
That would be great and cover me if it was accurate, I sure hope it is. It seems that this specific topic is never closed with all the boxes ticked and questions answered, out of all topics this one always escapes lingering.
Does anyone have absolute 100% factual info on this?

So if I'm resident with an active UK license then I am legal?

Getting dominican license in SD, how easy, costly, time consuming?

No you would not be legal - you would need a DR license, take the two test as descibed below

You would only be legal to drive on a UK license if you would be on a tourist visa.

You (and others) have been getting away with it, which has been good for you.

However, I believe going legal is ultimately the best course of action, especially if a serious accident happens...

You are aware that there are quite a few accidents on the route you travel to and from Las Canas, are you?

Lol yes I am aware of the accidents.
Has anyone had GOOD car insurance gotten in an accident not had a DR license and been screwed because of this??
I was told it is not connected.

Oct 13, 2003
instagram.com
Lol yes I am aware of the accidents.
Has anyone had GOOD car insurance gotten in an accident not had a DR license and been screwed because of this??
I was told it is not connected.

Luckily, so far no serious accidents, but I've been told that in case of serious accidents your legal driving status does come into play...